To be or Ayotte to be???

Pearl, Tama, Yamaha, DW, Ludwig, Premier, Mapex etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Steaky
session drummer
session drummer

Post Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:16 am

I was blown away by the Ayotte kit's displayed at Drummerlive this year. Any thoughts, anybody got feedback about them? How durable are they? What are they like to record on? Why don't more people use them?
You can own the greatest drum ever made, but it won't change how well you can play it!
jaundiced
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:09 am

I had a friend who owned an Ayotte kit. Saw them gigged a couple of times and got to play on them once and they sounded great. I'd have to imagine that the price tag is one reason more people don't play them, because they're certainly not cheap.
blasting tools provided by Trick drums and pedals, paiste cymbals, Hornets drumsticks
Mitchell?
groove master
groove master

Post Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:55 am

I think The Ploughman has a Ayotte kit...
_...:::/ Jimbob2020 agrees \:::..._
ImageImageImage
EOTE_drummer
groove master
groove master

Post Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:39 pm

Mitchell? wrote:I think The Ploughman has a Ayotte kit...

yeah, 1 or 2 or 10
PDP, Tama, and Pearl Drums
DW, Pearl, and Gibraltar Hardware
Sabian, Zildjian, and Saluda Cymbals

www.myspace.com/EOTEband
ThePloughman
session drummer
session drummer

Post Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:53 pm

EOTE_drummer wrote:
Mitchell? wrote:I think The Ploughman has a Ayotte kit...

yeah, 1 or 2 or 10

Oh God thats funny.

I have one Ayotte Custom kit. its a four piecer from 1995. Shaded cherry lacquer. 22-12-16, with a 7x14 Piano black Gloss snare drum. These drums are simply flawless, perfect in every detail, you will not buy a nicer kit anywhere for any price. You probably can though, buy other drums with comparable quality for a lot less. But you wont get nicer.
ThePloughman

ThePloughman wrote:Duct Tape, Moongells, and Remos...... with pinstripes

Rogers Drums USA

Check this out
http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/showt ... p?t=196158
antiunderscores
session drummer
session drummer

Post Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:50 pm

guy from mudvayne uses them from memory... thats all i know about them, but that guy is amazing!

BBS
Zildjian, Wuhan & Istanbul cymbals
Pearl & Mirage kit.
Crappiato Snare
Steve's Back! ..............kinda
SuNoAnBuKi
session drummer
session drummer

Post Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:04 am

Ive always loved everything about their drums ...
Ddrum Dominion
Saluda, Zildjian, Paiste, Wuhan
Pearl Hardware, DW Pedals
Remo Heads
Steaky
session drummer
session drummer

Post Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:12 am

I really love sparkly wrapped kit's. I don't know why but I just do. But Ayotte where displaying this laquered kit that just made my Jaw drop to the floor. It was like, how can I put this, animated in some way. It was a type colour shift finish that started deep blue, then as you walked past turned light blue, then turquoise then light green then finally dark green, all with a lovely subtle sparkle beneath it. It made all other kit's in that Expo center look plain boring(and a bit cheap in comparison). I could look at that kit all day every day till the day I croak.

Sound wise the Kit seemed to sound like something I could work with, but it was an Expo in what felt like an Aircraft hangar, and the noise from all those kit's on all those other stands being Blast beated into submission made it impossible to really dive into the sonic quality's of the kit.
You can own the greatest drum ever made, but it won't change how well you can play it!
Raider05
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:35 am

Ayotte got it's name from building top quality, great sounding drums. Pricey?.....yes, but you get what you pay for. Ray Ayotte sold the company FWIW several years ago, and went to Taye drums, which he has recently left as well. I assume the quality of Ayotte's is as good as when he was there, but have no idea.
Yamaha Maple Custom Absolutes, Paiste cymbals.
boyd_s
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:01 am

My drum teacher has two Ayotte kits that I play on every week for lessons. They are amazing drums. 'Nuff said.
Sonor Force 3007
Saluda Cymbals (14" Diamond Hi Hats, 16" Diamond Fast Crash, 17" Protoype Crash, 20"Earthworks Dry Ride)
Iron Cobra Pedals
DW hardware
Alan_
groove master
groove master

Post Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:52 am

they're really nice drums. great shells, great finishes, innovative lug design. quality quality quality. if I had the cash to own a set I probably would, but only after buying that set of Bisons I'm promising myself at some point before I die.
Steaky
session drummer
session drummer

Post Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:29 pm

Well it sounds promising. Nobody has told of them being expensive for the hell of it unlike say.............DW. This kit was 10, 12, 14, 14snr and 12 snr for £4500.
Alan_
groove master
groove master

Post Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:33 pm

they're handmade small run custom drums. not sure they're worth $4500, but the fact that I don't have that much in burnable cash sitting in my bank account definitely colors that opinion quite a bit.
Call me Gideon
session drummer
session drummer

Post Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:38 pm

If it's 4500 British money (I don't know how to type the symbol :shock: ) then that's closer to $9000 in US dollars. I don't know that there's ANY drumset worth that kind of money....to me anyways.
www.myspace.com/lookingtodrum
Tama, Saluda, Evans, Pro-Mark/Vic Firth/Silverfox
Alan_
groove master
groove master

Post Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:47 pm

wow, is that for a new kit? or are is it just because they're rare on that side of the water/