Pacific FS?

Pearl, Tama, Yamaha, DW, Ludwig, Premier, Mapex etc.

Moderator: Moderators

TheYardstick
groove master
groove master

Post Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:49 am

I recently stumbled upon a sweet 8 piece, double bass Pacific FS for $1400, right in my price range. But, before I take the dive, I would like to know how durable and what the sound quality of this kit is.
"I think we ought to read only the kind of books that wound and stab us. If the book we are reading doesn't wake us up with a blow on the head, what are we reading it for?"-Franz Kafka

My Last.fm
SGarrett

Post Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:28 am

Rims mounts or STM mounts? If it has the STM mounts it's a good buy. If it has the Rims mounts, it sucks.

The reason being that the kits with STM mounts are made to th same standards as the LX kits, but the ones with Rims mounts really are lower quality drums.
"If the goal is for me to give up my reality for your reality, then the goal is for me to give up my self for your self--a goal I have to reject."
drumstix2112
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:49 am

I have a newer FS set, they are made of birch and have matte finishes. Very nice drums for the price. They have nice attack and punch. Because of the matte finish, you would need to be careful when lugging them around as they could scratch easy. Here are a few pics of my FS kit,

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.c ... D=19509989

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.c ... D=19510621
TheYardstick
groove master
groove master

Post Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:44 pm

They have the STM mounts.
"I think we ought to read only the kind of books that wound and stab us. If the book we are reading doesn't wake us up with a blow on the head, what are we reading it for?"-Franz Kafka

My Last.fm
SGarrett

Post Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:20 pm

It's a good kit, then. :)

Back when they first started, their different lines were steps up in quality. Now, the different lines all sport the same gear and manufacturing so the only step up in quality is the stands/pedals. The drums themselves are just different flavors now.
"If the goal is for me to give up my reality for your reality, then the goal is for me to give up my self for your self--a goal I have to reject."
prowler029
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:25 pm

great kits! i love my FS it has a great sound and is very loud, especially with ec2's and an EMAD :)
"I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue..."

PDP FS
ZILDJIAN
VATER
EVANS EC2, EMAD 2, ST DRY
LyriCa1z
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:03 pm

Why go dbl bass, though? If you plan on gigging them, why not minimize your footprint and go with a dbl pedal? Never know when you might come across a tiny stage.
-Pearl Export
-1 up 1 down
-Sabian AA
-Evans EC2 Coated
-ProMark 5A
-Latin Percussion
TheYardstick
groove master
groove master

Post Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:18 pm

The double bass is somewhat for presence, but mainly for the minor differences in sound between the drums. I've been working on foot rhythms that sound better on two bass drums rather than two pedals, plus I feel more balanced behind a double bass kit rather than a single bass.

My Last.fm