Gots me a little business opportunity.....

Pearl, Tama, Yamaha, DW, Ludwig, Premier, Mapex etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Rob Crisp
groove master
groove master

Post Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:48 am

So here's the deal, a friend of mine is a sound engineer and just out of uni. He's had access to top studios there and has had some great success already getting airplay with some of the bands he's produced.

He's moved into our band studio adding his equipment to ours, but the one thing he doesn't have is a decent drum set. So I'm going to provide kits and extras, cymbals, percussion and the like at a fee.

I'm not particularly keen on leaving the Starclassic all set up for anyone to come in and play, although I know he'll be there to keep an eye on things anyway. Having said that, it's birch/bubinga and sounds gorgeous recorded....

So my questions are;

a/ does anyone have any experience or suggestions for nice recording kits that I could get as a business investment and b/ what do you think a reasonable rate for kit hire should be for a days recording?

I'm also hoping he'll give me a shout if all goes tit's and they need a drummer to come and track last minute ;-)
SGarrett

Post Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:41 pm

Right on, man. That could be a very good "in" for you. :)

The Gretsch Maple Renown is a heavily recorded kit, birch kits are always good choices (I like Pearl, Tama, and DW), and pretty much anything with a thin to medium shell thickness. I don't know your taxes work across the pond, but over here you can use the kit as a tax write-off if you only use it for business purposes.

For the rate, I find that a sliding scale works better than a flat rate. Find out what the budget is and go from there. I probably wouldn't want to charge much less than $100 for a full day, though.
"If the goal is for me to give up my reality for your reality, then the goal is for me to give up my self for your self--a goal I have to reject."
Rob Crisp
groove master
groove master

Post Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:57 am

Taxes are very similar, any equipment bought could be claimed back as a business expense. Obviously taking into account various other things.

I've always wanted to get a Gretsch ya know and I get to play various top Pearl kits at DrumTech. I do like Pearls kits, the Old Export never let me down.
antiunderscores
session drummer
session drummer

Post Fri Jun 13, 2008 2:03 am

just watch out when lending stuff to friends cause if they get their own kit you have a second one, but then again for drums thats not such a bad thing cause u still have a purpose for it
Zildjian, Wuhan & Istanbul cymbals
Pearl & Mirage kit.
Crappiato Snare
Steve's Back! ..............kinda
Rob Crisp
groove master
groove master

Post Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:38 am

antiunderscores wrote:just watch out when lending stuff to friends cause if they get their own kit you have a second one, but then again for drums thats not such a bad thing cause u still have a purpose for it

I rarely lend gear and even then only to people I trust completely. As a bsiness venture it'd be a little different though.