Ludwig

Pearl, Tama, Yamaha, DW, Ludwig, Premier, Mapex etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Ludwig

Postby J0k3r » Wed May 14, 2008 5:57 am

I have a mutt kit right now. moneys alittle short. But I'm going to build a kit soon. Any pros or cons on ludwig? I'm going to be playing Funk,jazz,metal,blues... Probably a bit or everything.
"We're never gonna survive unless we get a little crazy" ~Seal~

Ludwig Accent
Vic Firth Stix
Zildjian Cymbals
Evans Heads
Gibralter Hardware
J0k3r
drumming adept
drumming adept

Ludwig

Help our forum grow and visit our sponsors pages!

Help DML grow and visit pages on left!

Postby Alan_ » Wed May 14, 2008 6:39 am

I am absolutely in love with pre-70's ludwig drums.
Alan_
groove master
groove master

Postby Airborne Ranger » Wed May 14, 2008 10:20 am

I think Ludwig makes a great product. My first real drumset was a Ludwig and it's all I've owned ever since. When I was looking to buy a new set 3 years ago, I looked at all the makes and kept coming back to the Ludwig Classic Maple. I own three Ludwig sets now, the Classic Maple, a 70's era WMP B/O badge set and a mid 80's Rockers set and I've been happy with all of them. I also like the fact that Ludwig makes their own maple shells and they're CM line is made (for the most part) in the U.S.
There are a few Ludwig players here, I know member mmmdrums just bought a beautiful new Indigo Sparkle set and I'm sure the other Ludwig players will chime in as well.
Airborne Ranger
session drummer
session drummer

Postby skitch » Fri May 16, 2008 1:23 am

Ludwigs will do whatever you want them to do; versatile drum.
skitch
session drummer
session drummer

Postby SGarrett » Fri May 16, 2008 2:57 am

Airborne Ranger wrote:I think Ludwig makes a great product. My first real drumset was a Ludwig and it's all I've owned ever since. When I was looking to buy a new set 3 years ago, I looked at all the makes and kept coming back to the Ludwig Classic Maple. I own three Ludwig sets now, the Classic Maple, a 70's era WMP B/O badge set and a mid 80's Rockers set and I've been happy with all of them. I also like the fact that Ludwig makes their own maple shells and they're CM line is made (for the most part) in the U.S.
There are a few Ludwig players here, I know member mmmdrums just bought a beautiful new Indigo Sparkle set and I'm sure the other Ludwig players will chime in as well.

I used to have an early '80s Rocker kick and loved it. Super thin shell and easy to get a great sound out of. Sadly, my wife left it outside in the rain, thinking I didn't want it. :(
"If the goal is for me to give up my reality for your reality, then the goal is for me to give up my self for your self--a goal I have to reject."
SGarrett

Postby Steaky » Fri May 16, 2008 3:05 am

I'm in love with my early 70's Luddies. They are beautiful and melodic drums to play. I'm not sure of what type of Metal you intend playing but they can sure keep up in a heavy rock setting. I'm loving my Vista's as well, although I would always prefer them to be a second kit. They make great Drums that's for sure.
You can own the greatest drum ever made, but it won't change how well you can play it!
Steaky
session drummer
session drummer

Postby Steaky » Fri May 16, 2008 3:07 am

SGarrett wrote:
Airborne Ranger wrote:I think Ludwig makes a great product. My first real drumset was a Ludwig and it's all I've owned ever since. When I was looking to buy a new set 3 years ago, I looked at all the makes and kept coming back to the Ludwig Classic Maple. I own three Ludwig sets now, the Classic Maple, a 70's era WMP B/O badge set and a mid 80's Rockers set and I've been happy with all of them. I also like the fact that Ludwig makes their own maple shells and they're CM line is made (for the most part) in the U.S.

I used to have an early '80s Rocker kick and loved it. Super thin shell and easy to get a great sound out of. Sadly, my wife left it outside in the rain, thinking I didn't want it. :(

Hell what????!!!!!
You can own the greatest drum ever made, but it won't change how well you can play it!
Steaky
session drummer
session drummer

Postby Airborne Ranger » Fri May 16, 2008 7:35 am

SGarrett wrote:

Oooh sorry to hear that SGarrett. I'm in the process of rehabbing my U.S. made Rocker 5pc set now. I found it on Craigslist for a total steal (and it had a great all-original 67' Acrolite) and it needs a good cleaning. I'm going to use it as a rehearsal set. The former owner spray painted all the heads black and put stickers all over them but the shells were in good shape and all the original hardware was there and in working order. Not sure if I want to invest in rewrapping them though. I bought them because they would be a fun project, they're sitting in my workshop now and I'll be bringing them back to life with a good cleaning and new heads.
Airborne Ranger
session drummer
session drummer

Postby Alan_ » Fri May 16, 2008 7:55 am

the new ludwigs I've played on recently have sounded really good.
Alan_
groove master
groove master

Postby J0k3r » Wed May 21, 2008 5:19 am

Thanx all. My first kit was a CB-700. I loved it. Hey I was only 7. But for my 13th B-day my dad got me a 5-pc luddie (wine red) from my aunt. I feel in love obviously. I haven't got to play much of pearl, a few drums on the "prototype" (my kit) pearl and I liked the way they sound. But I just can't find that pearl kit that makes me go WOW! Ludwig has done that.
"We're never gonna survive unless we get a little crazy" ~Seal~

Ludwig Accent
Vic Firth Stix
Zildjian Cymbals
Evans Heads
Gibralter Hardware
J0k3r
drumming adept
drumming adept

Postby skitch » Thu May 22, 2008 11:25 pm

J0k3r wrote:Thanx all. My first kit was a CB-700. I loved it. Hey I was only 7. But for my 13th B-day my dad got me a 5-pc luddie (wine red) from my aunt. I feel in love obviously. I haven't got to play much of pearl, a few drums on the "prototype" (my kit) pearl and I liked the way they sound. But I just can't find that pearl kit that makes me go WOW! Ludwig has done that.

I know what you mean about Pearl; I deeply respect what they have but I have never had a Pearl drum kit just knock my socks off.
skitch
session drummer
session drummer

Postby Gretschman1 » Sat Aug 02, 2008 1:24 pm

Wait a minute, SGarret! Your wife left your Luddies outside in the rain...Are you still married?
David White
Gretsch Renown Maple
Pacific CXR
Pork Pie BOB Snare
Alesis DM5 Pro
Paiste and Sabian Cymbals
http://www.easystreetband.biz
Gretschman1
drumming adept
drumming adept

Postby disrupt13 » Sat Aug 02, 2008 2:28 pm

The sessions were awesome pearl kits, tuned properly I think they sound great,

A girl I know had a ludwig, it didn't sound to great, I think it was a low end,
disrupt13
session drummer
session drummer

Postby vincemie » Sat Aug 02, 2008 2:44 pm

SGarrett wrote:

heartbreaking :cry:
vincemie
session drummer
session drummer

Postby mmmmdrums » Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:51 pm

I couldn't be more pleased with my new classic maple customs..... got them in february have been giving them a good beating almost every day and they are amazing!

I have also played on many vintage ludwig kits....you can't go wrong with Ludwigs....they are amazing and DAMN versatile! I use mine for jazz, rock, reggae, and folk/pop
Check out my new tunes!

myspace.com/anjillapiazza

Ludwig classic maple drums
Supraphonic Snare
Regal Tip and Vic Firth Sticks
I proudly endorse Soultone Handmade Turkish cymbals
mmmmdrums
drumming adept
drumming adept

Next

Return to Drum Set