Great solo, fastest singles ever.

Drummers' Hall of Fame.
You know a great drummer? Tell us about it!
Questions, discussions and overviews.

Moderator: Moderators

racefan33
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:23 am

Ladies and Gentlemen Buddy Rich.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=tnEsBVsaVWo

I posted this in another topic but I felt that it needed it's own topic. The final two and a half minutes are devastating.
Jeff Porcaro - Lord of Groove
DukeLukem
new
new

Post Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:42 am

buddy rich was a beast, man. definitely one of my favorites to watch
dave lynch
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:03 pm

Thanks for posting that video...I think it's amazing how long he went and also the way he could climax a drum solo..I saw him live when I was young..What a blessing that was from my mom...She told me I had to go see Buddy Rich cuz he's the best..So she took me to see him !!
Not into all that competetive who's better crap..Just love to have fun when I drum..!! <|:O)

www.myspace.com/70275304
rufus4dagruv
groove master
groove master

Post Fri Oct 05, 2007 1:39 pm

It doesn't matter how many BR videos I see or solos I hear, I can't help but just stop everything I'm doing and marvel at that man. Thank you, Buddy Rich, wherever you are now.
dave lynch
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Oct 05, 2007 2:08 pm

rufus4dagruv wrote:It doesn't matter how many BR videos I see or solos I hear, I can't help but just stop everything I'm doing and marvel at that man. Thank you, Buddy Rich, wherever you are now.

Exactly....Yeah Thanks Buddy oh and you too Gene Krupa !!
Not into all that competetive who's better crap..Just love to have fun when I drum..!! <|:O)

www.myspace.com/70275304
Atmerrill
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Oct 05, 2007 5:42 pm

racefan33 wrote:Ladies and Gentlemen Buddy Rich.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=tnEsBVsaVWo

I posted this in another topic but I felt that it needed it's own topic. The final two and a half minutes are devastating.

Yeah....Another night of Buddy out to prove that he was "king of the sandbox." A true prick at times, but holy shit what he could do with sticks. The real pisser about any of the Youtube videos of Buddy at work (and most are very good), is that no matter how awesome or incredible the solo is, for Buddy it was just another day at the office. That's the command he had of his chops. That kind of talent - the ability to "put out" on a daily basis...that's where you get to see how high the bar has been raised.

Watching Buddy still makes me run for sticks and a pad...there probably isn't a higher form of compliment than that for any drummer.

Good post..
Alden Merrill

Slingerland and Ford Drums, Zildjian Cymbals,
Aquarian Heads, Vater and Vic Firth Sticks
phil-drummer
session drummer
session drummer

Post Sat Oct 06, 2007 3:07 am

i hate to be the one thats spoils the atmosphere , but ill be honest, i just see buddy rich as another drummer. i dont see what all the fuss is about. hes gud , but he doesnt make me fall off my chair is awe.
Pearl Hardware. Zildjian Cymbals. Vic Firth 7A Sticks. Remo Pintripes/Weatherking Heads
Rob Crisp
groove master
groove master

Post Sat Oct 06, 2007 3:20 am

What I find amazing is that even now, there is no-one who we accept as the "New Buddy". Someone of equal brilliance doing something as groundbreaking and exciting.

Love watching him play, it just astounds me every time I see his solo's.
percussle
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sat Oct 06, 2007 4:38 am

buddy rich is a lethal weapon
Gretsch, Zildjian, Axis, Gibraltar.

"If you can play, you can play anything. I don't like classifications."

http://www.myspace.com/metal_in_entropy
Atmerrill
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sat Oct 06, 2007 8:45 am

phil-drummer wrote:i hate to be the one thats spoils the atmosphere , but ill be honest, i just see buddy rich as another drummer. i dont see what all the fuss is about. hes gud , but he doesnt make me fall off my chair is awe.

No air is spoiled and (personally) I don't mind someone being honest. The reason is probably because there's other folks out there who do something(s) that impress you more or who inspire you to play. Not everyone has to like any one drummer. I've always thought Ringo, Neil Peart and Dave Weckl were highly overrated - good players yes, but didn't see what the ga-ga factor is about - still don't. Carl Palmer has more chops than most but we don't hear much about him either these days. So........I don't know.
Alden Merrill

Slingerland and Ford Drums, Zildjian Cymbals,
Aquarian Heads, Vater and Vic Firth Sticks
dave lynch
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Oct 07, 2007 12:59 am

phil-drummer wrote:i hate to be the one thats spoils the atmosphere , but ill be honest, i just see buddy rich as another drummer. i dont see what all the fuss is about. hes gud , but he doesnt make me fall off my chair is awe.

That's OK Phil..Everyone has there own like in drumming..I can only say that everytime I check out other solos there's alot of stoping and going...Sure ther's other drummers that do all these things, but in my opinion none are sexier than what Buddy did...He had a way to climax a solo..My mom always told me that women love a solo that's like good sex....Yeah I'm a dude and Yeah I'm straight, but Buddy makes me jelous cuz I wish I could make love to a woman the way he played the drums....All in all I think that's a big part of what made him the best at the time and maybe ever....By the way drumming begain as a way to comunicate to others from the beginning..That is why so many people love what Buddy did...He was a communicator on the drums !!!

www.myspace.com/70275304
phil-drummer
session drummer
session drummer

Post Sun Oct 07, 2007 4:21 am

dave lynch wrote:

That's OK Phil..Everyone has there own like in drumming..I can only say that everytime I check out other solos there's alot of stoping and going...Sure ther's other drummers that do all these things, but in my opinion none are sexier than what Buddy did...He had a way to climax a solo..My mom always told me that women love a solo that's like good sex....Yeah I'm a dude and Yeah I'm straight, but Buddy makes me jelous cuz I wish I could make love to a woman the way he played the drums....All in all I think that's a big part of what made him the best at the time and maybe ever....By the way drumming begain as a way to comunicate to others from the beginning..That is why so many people love what Buddy did...He was a communicator on the drums !!!

haha fair play , i think you'd break the bed if you used that much energy . ive seen buddy rich in interveiws n he was an awesome person too , which i admired too, so its all gud.

also i agre, women do like a gud solo
Pearl Hardware. Zildjian Cymbals. Vic Firth 7A Sticks. Remo Pintripes/Weatherking Heads
Jesus
beginner
beginner

Post Sun Oct 07, 2007 4:57 am

I swear that man had a heart attack every time he played a solo....
ilold
Mikkey
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Oct 09, 2007 2:01 am

That's pretty awesome, but I wish the discussion on Youtube.com could only be as reserved as the one here. Some drummers have found their God and that is great, but they take down people like Williams and Krupa in the process. Williams could actually play in the style of almost all of his predecessors to point of impersonation, he used this as a tool to teacher his teacher's students. I personally love both drummers, but that famous "jazz elitism" was showing on the Youtube.com comments. Also I think the statement, "There is yet to be another Buddy Rich" is an extreme statement. Would we want another Buddy Rich? Would you appreciate the BR video more if there was another one of him, but different enough to distinguish himself? I guess drumming in general went in other directions, and for this, anyone who watched the awesome video here is lucky.
phil-drummer
session drummer
session drummer

Post Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:07 am

Mikkey wrote:That's pretty awesome, but I wish the discussion on Youtube.com could only be as reserved as the one here. Some drummers have found their God and that is great, but they take down people like Williams and Krupa in the process. Williams could actually play in the style of almost all of his predecessors to point of impersonation, he used this as a tool to teacher his teacher's students. I personally love both drummers, but that famous "jazz elitism" was showing on the Youtube.com comments. Also I think the statement, "There is yet to be another Buddy Rich" is an extreme statement. Would we want another Buddy Rich? Would you appreciate the BR video more if there was another one of him, but different enough to distinguish himself? I guess drumming in general went in other directions, and for this, anyone who watched the awesome video here is lucky.

dont listen to peoples veiws on youtube, their all idiots, me included, no one respects any one elses opinions , infact comments on youtube are pointless, i dont know why i signed up in the 1st place