Neil peart wins Drummer Of The year! DRUM! November 2007

Drummers' Hall of Fame.
You know a great drummer? Tell us about it!
Questions, discussions and overviews.

Moderator: Moderators

cableman26
session drummer
session drummer

Post Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:26 am

We all have an opionion, we can voice that just like everyone else. We was not bashing you or your favorite drummer. Travis Barker is a public figure which makes him subject to people's opionion. But he's making a shit load of money and could care less what we think which is more than I can say for most of us. No sense in getting bent out of shape over it.
Opinions are like assholes everyone has one, and some of them stink.
NocturnalDrum
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Sep 25, 2007 5:51 pm

Neil Peart is over rated.

Thomas Lang > Niel Peart
"Ain't Here For A Long Time, Just Here For A Good Time."
Johnny Cat
session drummer
session drummer

Post Tue Sep 25, 2007 5:59 pm

NocturnalDrum wrote:Neil Peart is over rated.

Thomas Lang > Niel Peart

Thanks for the tremendous insight.

If you're just burning to get out an opinion like that, write it on a piece of paper, stick it in your pocket, and keep it there, 'cause nobody gives a shit.
Tama Rockstar Custom 10-Pc
Paiste and Sabian cymbals
Tama "RoadPro" Hardware
Axis "X" Longboard Pedals
Regal Tip "Jazz E" and Promark "Elvin Jones" and "747" Drumsticks
Regal Tip "Ed Thigpen" Brushes
Remo and Evans Drumheads
JAdrums2k
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Sep 25, 2007 6:13 pm

I gained a new respect for Neil Peart when I saw him do a performance with the Buddy Rich Orchestra a while back. The last thing I ever expected to see was Neil playing swing jazz.. and very well I might add.

I think one of the requirements for any "Drummer Of The Year" should be their ability to play a wide variety of music overall. But it IS a popularity contest more than anything else because readers vote for the drummers.

The other catagories are tough to vote for... most people vote for the most recognizable name

Personally I can't name 5 punk drummers by name...
Sneaking into the lives of strangers and letting them fall apart to a new rhythm just to feel better
dave lynch
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:00 pm

cableman26 wrote:We all have an opionion, we can voice that just like everyone else. We was not bashing you or your favorite drummer. Travis Barker is a public figure which makes him subject to people's opionion. But he's making a shit load of money and could care less what we think which is more than I can say for most of us. No sense in getting bent out of shape over it.
Opinions are like assholes everyone has one, and some of them stink.

true..you're right...everyone has an opinion...That's one thing that no one AND I MEAN NO ONE can take away from us...!!! Niel smokes and Buddy Rich did smoke and so many others did or do smoke...( smoke meaning great/hot ) It's fun to Drum, isn't it ?
Not into all that competetive who's better crap..Just love to have fun when I drum..!! <|:O)

www.myspace.com/70275304
McSleeps
beginner
beginner

Post Wed Sep 26, 2007 7:11 am

NocturnalDrum wrote:Neil Peart is over rated.

Thomas Lang > Niel Peart

I hate it when people say that someone is over rated when they ARE a good drummer, it would make sense if everyone says they're great when they really aren't, but you really can't say that Travis Barker and Neil Peart are over rated. Travis and Neil are both great drummers, and they also happen to be very popular, but as drummers we all know that there is someone out there thats going to "better". That's why I, and probably most of us here hate these best drummer award things, it's really all popularity, or at least it's directed toward the general public, and not us drummers who know better than to call someone the best. Point is Neil and Travis are not over rated just because someone else hails them like god's
DRUMSMYWIFE
groove master
groove master
Location: Chula Vista, (A community within San Diego) California

Post Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:29 am

But he should give other punk drummers and other drummers a chance.
cableman26
session drummer
session drummer

Post Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:32 am

The only thing I hate is because these drummers are so popular and everyone loves them that's all we see. They're in every magazine. Don't get me wrong Neil is awsome, but we all know that already let's see some new people that Don't get the credit they deserve for working as hard or harder.
Alan_
groove master
groove master

Post Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:54 pm

A few insights I have after reading this predictably moronic thread (it even predictably contained some Travis Barker bashing):

#1 - wasn't this thread about neil peart?

Anyone who thinks all punk musicians are talentless hacks has never really sat down and listened to any punk.

Off the top of my head:

Bill Stevenson (descendents)
Topper Headon (clash)
Earl Hudson (bad brains)
D.H. Peligro (dead kennedys)

are all EXCELLENT drummers. There's plenty more, like the guy in NOFX.

I don't completely consider a band like Blink 182 to be punk rock in the classic sense of the word. They're a rock band with some punk influence. Punk is not about trying to suck at playing your instrument, it is about trying to destroy the hero worship and unnecessary adulation of musicans as people for their creative abilities. The two are completely separate.

As far as I'm concerned, Travis Barker is good. Solid as hell. Not someone who I'm listening to for inspiration, but the one time I unintentionally saw Blink 182 play, he put on a great show, supported the band, and played for the song.

#2 - Neil Peart may not be the BEST DRUMMER EVER, but he's got great feel, good chops, plays things that drive the band, is fairly inventive in the department of fills (Subdivisions comes to mind), and plays cool solo pieces. He plays with TONS of personality in his feel and dynamics/accenting. Get over it. He's really good at what he does, whether you care for him or not. I used to dig him more when I was younger than I do now, but if I hear a Rush song on the radio I'll still turn it up.