Neil Peart's endorsement

Drummers' Hall of Fame.
You know a great drummer? Tell us about it!
Questions, discussions and overviews.

Moderator: Moderators

SmellsLikeIan
groove master
groove master

Post Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:32 am

It's all about the $$$$$$$

I know, we've heard it before, drum/cymbal companies don't give people money, just a price break.

Neil Peart is in a category of his own, however, and you can bet that Sabian offered him a stack of benjamins to sign a deal with them.
yee freakin' haw
skitch
session drummer
session drummer

Post Sat Aug 25, 2007 11:09 am

SmellsLikeIan wrote:It's all about the $$$$$$$

I know, we've heard it before, drum/cymbal companies don't give people money, just a price break.

Neil Peart is in a category of his own, however, and you can bet that Sabian offered him a stack of benjamins to sign a deal with them.

I don't know about the money part, but the fact is that Neil is in an elite class of drummers who companies want and do take advantage (not exploit) of to gain a greater market share thru generating more sales. This is why guys like Emmet Smith and Michael Jordan get endorsements; it is about what the endorser can generate for the company. It isn't about making those guys famous.
Johnny Cat
session drummer
session drummer

Post Sun Aug 26, 2007 11:57 am

skitch wrote:

I don't know about the money part, but the fact is that Neil is in an elite class of drummers who companies want and do take advantage (not exploit) of to gain a greater market share thru generating more sales. This is why guys like Emmet Smith and Michael Jordan get endorsements; it is about what the endorser can generate for the company. It isn't about making those guys famous.

Yeah, Neil does not seem to be the type to do things for the money. It's not like he's ever stuck for cash anyways. Then again, he has expensive taste, in things like Scotch, cars, motorcycles and eating out, not to mention all the money he spends on gas biking all over the continent. Maybe he does need the extra dough to make up for his heavy spending LOL!
Tama Rockstar Custom 10-Pc
Paiste and Sabian cymbals
Tama "RoadPro" Hardware
Axis "X" Longboard Pedals
Regal Tip "Jazz E" and Promark "Elvin Jones" and "747" Drumsticks
Regal Tip "Ed Thigpen" Brushes
Remo and Evans Drumheads
SmellsLikeIan
groove master
groove master

Post Sun Aug 26, 2007 4:09 pm

Johnny Cat wrote:
skitch wrote:

Yeah, Neil does not seem to be the type to do things for the money. It's not like he's ever stuck for cash anyways. Then again, he has expensive taste, in things like Scotch, cars, motorcycles and eating out, not to mention all the money he spends on gas biking all over the continent. Maybe he does need the extra dough to make up for his heavy spending LOL!

Yeah, I agree, JohnnyCat, it's not about making them famous, they already are. Most people on the street know who Neil Peart is (even if they mispronounce his name). That's why I believe he is one of the FEW people who are paid for their endorsements in addition to receiving free gear.

However, Skitch, as for not doing things for cash, sure he has enough money. But if someone came to your house, took you out to a nice dinner, told you they could recreate the sound of your current cymbal setup and change/add anything you might desire in addition to offering you $10, 000 more a year than the other guys, would you not say, "Sounds great."? A lot of people like to talk about how loyal they are to their favorite company, but the fact of the matter is that most of us will never face the test of cold, hard cash being waved in front of our faces. You can bet Neil Peart has.

Just look at the number of times he switched drum companies. Sonor, Ludwig, Pearl, and DW (at least, maybe there's more?). I'm not trying to get into an argument over which gear is better, and an argument can be made that any of those companies would build an exceptional kit for someone like Neil Peart, but I think he chooses based on who gives him a better deal and a bigger bonus. That's business. I don't know any of this to be fact, so don't tell me I don't know what I'm talking about. I know I don't, and I'm assuming alot. But I think I may be right, at least in some respects.
yee freakin' haw
m
groove master
groove master

Post Sun Aug 26, 2007 4:26 pm

here's a pretty cool timeline of Neil's kits over the years:

http://andrewolson.com/Neil_Peart/neil_drumkits.htm

I don't believe there were any Pearl or Sonor, but Slingerland and Tama played a pretty big part, aside from the others mentioned in the previous post.

I'm not trying to get into an argument over which gear is better, and an argument can be made that any of those companies would build an exceptional kit for someone like Neil Peart

I think that's a very good point. At that level of equipment, just about any of the big companies can build an awesome kit of excellent quality.
It pretty much has to come down to personal preference, and that can be based on many factors.
SmellsLikeIan
groove master
groove master

Post Sun Aug 26, 2007 4:56 pm

m wrote:here's a pretty cool timeline of Neil's kits over the years:

http://andrewolson.com/Neil_Peart/neil_drumkits.htm

I don't believe there were any Pearl or Sonor, but Slingerland and Tama played a pretty big part, aside from the others mentioned in the previous post.

I'm not trying to get into an argument over which gear is better, and an argument can be made that any of those companies would build an exceptional kit for someone like Neil Peart

I think that's a very good point. At that level of equipment, just about any of the big companies can build an awesome kit of excellent quality.
It pretty much has to come down to personal preference, and that can be based on many factors.

I'm almost positive he played Sonor WWAAAAYYY back in the day. Wasn't there an MD ad with him and some Sonors and a Rolls Royce?
yee freakin' haw
seandude
session drummer
session drummer

Post Sun Aug 26, 2007 6:53 pm

i want the hats and ride
safe sex is in the palm of your hand
m
groove master
groove master

Post Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:01 am

SmellsLikeIan wrote:I'm almost positive he played Sonor WWAAAAYYY back in the day. Wasn't there an MD ad with him and some Sonors and a Rolls Royce?

there's an ad w/ Sonors and a Rolls Royce, but no Neil:
http://www.logsdon.biz/sonormuseum/clas ... ollsad.gif
SmellsLikeIan
groove master
groove master

Post Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:03 am

K-you got me there. But my opinion on the rest still stands. If Nike can afford to pay Tiger Woods $10 million, I'm sure Sabian could afford to pay Neil Peart a few thousand, if not more. It's in their best interest.
yee freakin' haw
Johnny Cat
session drummer
session drummer

Post Tue Aug 28, 2007 6:20 am

SmellsLikeIan wrote:K-you got me there. But my opinion on the rest still stands. If Nike can afford to pay Tiger Woods $10 million, I'm sure Sabian could afford to pay Neil Peart a few thousand, if not more. It's in their best interest.

Yeah, I agree they are definitely paying him to play them, but that could be an added bonus in his eyes. I'll ask him next time I'm talking to him at the show in September.... :lol:

Yeah right.... I wish! hahaha

As for Neil's drums over the years I'm not arguing either, but I do love trying to help shed light on some confusion. As far as I know he never played Sonor. Pity. I think they're great and he should check them out. But DWs kick ass too. He's never played Pearl either.

His first kit when he was thirteen consisted of Stewart toms with a Capri bass drum and 3 Ajax cymbals. When he was old enough to afford his dream kit at the time, he bought a Rogers kit with a couple of Zildjian cymbals and hats. But he didn't like the drum finish so he covered them in silver wallpaper. This is the kit he used to audition for Rush. He walked into the session with them stuffed into garbage cans because he couldn't afford cases, set them up while Geddy and Alex amusingly looked on (they had become Toronto area rockstars at this point with US airplay while he was still a nobody working in his Dad's farm supply store) and he proceeded to blow them away when he sat down to play.

With an advance from Mercury records shortly after they signed Rush, he went out and bought the Slingerland kit. He then switched to two different Tama kits before going to Ludwig Superclassics, and now DW.

This is coming from several different sources, including Andrew Olson's site, the book Merely Players by Robert Telleria, a few different Modern Drummer interviews, Neil's "A Work In Progress" DVD where he talks about a couple of kits, and of course, his third book, "Travelling Music".

I'm such a dork... :P
Tama "RoadPro" Hardware
Remo and Evans Drumheads
SmellsLikeIan
groove master
groove master

Post Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:03 am

Yeah, I was confusing the Pearl with the Tama (both Japanese anyhow!) Impressive knowledge of Neil's equipment and history.
yee freakin' haw
Johnny Cat
session drummer
session drummer

Post Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:24 am

SmellsLikeIan wrote:Yeah, I was confusing the Pearl with the Tama (both Japanese anyhow!) Impressive knowledge of Neil's equipment and history.

Thank you! :D

I have nothing better to do with my time it seems, between playing, and reading shit about Rush and The Beatles. I also spent time playing in a Rush tribute band, so I really tried to get inside his head to play his parts well. Rush fans are extremely critical of the tribute bands out there.
Tama "RoadPro" Hardware
Remo and Evans Drumheads
skitch
session drummer
session drummer

Post Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:01 pm

[quote="SmellsLikeIan]

However, Skitch, as for not doing things for cash, sure he has enough money. But if someone came to your house, took you out to a nice dinner, told you they could recreate the sound of your current cymbal setup and change/add anything you might desire in addition to offering you $10, 000 more a year than the other guys, would you not say, "Sounds great."? A lot of people like to talk about how loyal they are to their favorite company, but the fact of the matter is that most of us will never face the test of cold, hard cash being waved in front of our faces. You can bet Neil Peart has.

Just look at the number of times he switched drum companies. Sonor, Ludwig, Pearl, and DW (at least, maybe there's more?). I'm not trying to get into an argument over which gear is better, and an argument can be made that any of those companies would build an exceptional kit for someone like Neil Peart, but I think he chooses based on who gives him a better deal and a bigger bonus. That's business. I don't know any of this to be fact, so don't tell me I don't know what I'm talking about. I know I don't, and I'm assuming alot. But I think I may be right, at least in some respects.
[/quote]

Smells,

You obviously didn't read what I wrote. And how do you know what Sabian, DW or anyone else did for Neil? Will he be making a royalty for the cymbals, drums and sticks which his name and likeness sells for the companies he endorses - most likely! And why shouldn't he? But don't marshal an argument based on something you "assume" is happening. And don't attack me for something, which I didn't write.

How do you know anything about Neil's personal life anyway?

You obviously don't know much about the gear he has played over the years as I don't recall Sonor or Pearl ever being brands that he used, since I was around during the early years of Rush, albeit a 13 year old! And I bet you didn't know that Steve Smith once used Paiste!

He came up playing a Slingerland set, and then went to Tama, then to Ludwig then to DW. There was an entire article in Modern Drummer which Neil himself wrote about why he chose the Ludwigs (1989 or 1990). I don't know why he left Zildjian but it may have been the passing of Armand and the subsequent "inheriting " of the Zildjian Company to Craggie. Neil may have just felt better about dealing with Armand's brother, Robert Zildjian (owner of Sabian and one-time the main artists relations officer for Zildjian and a heckuva nice guy to boot) than with his niece at Zildjian cymbals. Maybe it was the personal touch which is becoming more important than ever in this high-tech world!

Maybe Neil was excited about the fact that Sabian was willing to offer something a little different than the same old Ping Ride and New Beat hi hats that Neil has been using since birth!

Truth is, we will never really know why Neil left Zildjian or Tama or Ludwig. It could be a matter of support on the road and with Tama's poor attitude toward service; I can understand why Neil would leave! After all, at that time, Tama had a pretty impressive roster of artists selling drums for them: Stewart Copeland, Denny Carmassi (Heart), Frank Beard (ZZ Top) all who regularly outsold Rush in album sales. The Police, Heart and ZZ Top were regulars in the top 10 of hit songs during the 1980s. What was Rush doing at that time, sales-wise? Not even in the same ballpark as the three bands previously listed. WE all know who Rush is ; we're drummers and musicians! Outside of the musician/drummer circle, hw many "civilians" go to a Rush cincert?

This is also why Rush switched record labels in 1989. The new label was willing to help THEM sell more records. How often does a label do that?

So it takes a company with a vision or a passion or both. This is why Neil probably wound up at DW. Watch any video of John Good and the thing that comes across is his passion for the gear being better! That's what came across to me when I visited the DW plant in 2001. Neil switched from Ludwig, who made great drums but also lousy hardware, to DW who excels at both and was setting the gold standard at that time. He could have both great hardware and drums with great artist relations with a company run by a drummer (Don) and a drum enthusiast (John). He could have it all with one company!

Ever look at the drummers DW has on their roster and ask why? It is because these guys love music and are drummers; they are not accountants - but I digress!

One of the things which most drummers don't realize the tremendous beating a drum kit takes on the road. And I don't mean from the playing aspect; I mean from being put in the cases, loaded into a semi, being pulled out of the cases and set-up night after night! I have some idea as one of my kits is starting to look a little frazzled! This is stuff that you won't see, even from the second row. I do remember Rush being in OKC right after Neil switched to Ludwig but was still using Tama stands. In the middle of a song, the snare stand broke! Solution: drum tech, bring me another snare stand! This is why bands with big tours get so much gear; they need it in case something breaks in the middle of a show on a Sunday night in "who knows where a drum shop is in Oklahoma City and will it be open" land!

But to sit there and claim that it was all about the money? It sounds as though you are a little jealous, bitter and angry. And you have painted one of the most prolific drummers in history as some sort of mercenary!

Am I the number one Neil Peart fan - probably not. I stopped buying Rush albums at a Show of Hands because I got into two drummers that Neil said he likes in an interview in 1989, Phil Gould (Level 42) and Manu Katche ( Peter Gabriel, Sting). But I do admire a band which has stuck it out for 34 years together and stood by their principles of not just commercializing their sound for the sake of more record sales. Many rock bands from the 1970s tried commercializing in the 1980s world but failed.
skitch
session drummer
session drummer

Post Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:36 pm

Johnny Cat wrote:
SmellsLikeIan wrote:K-you got me there. But my opinion on the rest still stands. If Nike can afford to pay Tiger Woods $10 million, I'm sure Sabian could afford to pay Neil Peart a few thousand, if not more. It's in their best interest.

Yeah, I agree they are definitely paying him to play them, but that could be an added bonus in his eyes. I'll ask him next time I'm talking to him at the show in September.... :lol:

Yeah right.... I wish! hahaha

As for Neil's drums over the years I'm not arguing either, but I do love trying to help shed light on some confusion. As far as I know he never played Sonor. Pity. I think they're great and he should check them out. But DWs kick ass too. He's never played Pearl either.

His first kit when he was thirteen consisted of Stewart toms with a Capri bass drum and 3 Ajax cymbals. When he was old enough to afford his dream kit at the time, he bought a Rogers kit with a couple of Zildjian cymbals and hats. But he didn't like the drum finish so he covered them in silver wallpaper. This is the kit he used to audition for Rush. He walked into the session with them stuffed into garbage cans because he couldn't afford cases, set them up while Geddy and Alex amusingly looked on (they had become Toronto area rockstars at this point with US airplay while he was still a nobody working in his Dad's farm supply store) and he proceeded to blow them away when he sat down to play.

With an advance from Mercury records shortly after they signed Rush, he went out and bought the Slingerland kit. He then switched to two different Tama kits before going to Ludwig Superclassics, and now DW.

This is coming from several different sources, including Andrew Olson's site, the book Merely Players by Robert Telleria, a few different Modern Drummer interviews, Neil's "A Work In Progress" DVD where he talks about a couple of kits, and of course, his third book, "Travelling Music".

I'm such a dork... :P

Excellent...but did you know that he didn't have a Hi hat stand for quite some time?
Johnny Cat
session drummer
session drummer

Post Thu Aug 30, 2007 5:27 am

Yeah I think I heard about that. Wasn't that when he was with his high school band "The Eternal Triangle" and wrote LSD Forever? LOL! Or was it the Rogers kit before Rush? Correct me if I'm wrong.

The Eternal Triangle. What a great name!
Tama "RoadPro" Hardware
Remo and Evans Drumheads