Listening to Rush/Neil Peart on an ipod

Drummers' Hall of Fame.
You know a great drummer? Tell us about it!
Questions, discussions and overviews.

Moderator: Moderators

WAR921
new
new

Post Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:12 am

You may already have thought of it, and your already doing it, but if you reverse your ear-buds for your ipod headphones, the drums sound allot better. (put RT bud in Left ear, etc...) This gives you the prospective from being in front of the drums, to being behind the drums on the kit. You go from spectator, to sitting on the throne of Neil Peart (or whoever's) drum kit. I think it is really cool. If you havent tried it, give it a try. I've been listening to Permanent Waves this way. (which sells on itunes for only $5.95) Great album, great drum mix. I also like the drum set on Moving Pictures. (I think the high toms on his new set sound like bongo's. His old Tama's with the open end high toms sounded better to me.) Does anyone else agree?
Amature drummer w/25+ years experience. Disabled, but still playing. V-Drum, TD-8, TD-6, DM5 user.
xdoseonex
groove master
groove master

Post Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:53 pm

wow your right. i did theis with the new rush album nd it seemed to work. The way the engineer i record with does it is he mics everything from the drummers perspective, so it sounds like your sitting behind the kit
Proud to endorse TRICK Percussion
Alcyon
session drummer
session drummer

Post Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:48 pm

It's from the drummer's perspective on most Slayer albums too. Listen to the huge left-to-right 7-tom spanning rolls in Seasons In The Abyss.

I love Dave Lombardo.
stump

Post Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:55 am

Will check it out...interesting! Peace!
It's so important to make best friends in life!

Tama,PDP and Medicine Man Drums, Zildjian, Remo, Roc-n-Soc, DW and Pro-mark.

m
groove master
groove master

Post Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:07 am

It used to be fairly traditional and standard that the European/British school of recording panned the stereo-image of the drums so that the listener got the impression of playing the kit, where the American format was from the perspective of the audience watching the kit.
I remember reading about it in a home recording book many years ago.

I don't know if the tradition still applies regionally, or if it varies more lately- but at one time, at least, there were pretty standard practices regarding how drums were panned. Of course, if you're dealing with a lefty drummer, it all reverses anyway, eh? :-)
Beej
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:59 pm

Oh man! Now I have to go buy an iPod to be able to do this. Hopefully my next cell phone will have in mp3 player! I'll definitely try it out at some point!
xdoseonex
groove master
groove master

Post Tue Jun 26, 2007 7:34 pm

just use your comuter or a cd payer, duh!
Proud to endorse TRICK Percussion
Rob Crisp
groove master
groove master

Post Wed Jun 27, 2007 5:08 am

I don't own an Ipod, although I've wanted one for aaaaages, it was all about justifying it really... now you have made a great argument FOR the Ipod! :-)

Time to bin the Mini Disc anyway, whatever...
PeartCopeland2112
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:05 pm

Definitely. The drums come out a lot more clearly when you reverse the ear buds. That's interesting, I never thought of doing this. Geddy's bass also comes out a lot clearer from this perspective.
PDP9000
groove master
groove master

Post Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:55 pm

wow im gonna try that i just got the snakes and arrows it has to be the best sounding CD in the world I call it a HD cd it sound so clear and clean