Neil Peart ORRR Mike Portnoy

Drummers' Hall of Fame.
You know a great drummer? Tell us about it!
Questions, discussions and overviews.

Moderator: Moderators

break the prism
groove master
groove master

Post Thu Jun 14, 2007 1:35 pm

xdoseonex wrote:
dreamtheaterfan1128 wrote:If you ask me, Neil's style is very basic. Neil cant do one middle section of a dream theater song, the time signature changes, and not that, but what Mike does in those time sigs is nothing but incredible, I mean Going to half time in the middle of a measure, pure genious. And Rush now Is horrible, Rush dont write like they used to. And Dream Theaters music is so advanced on every level, concept albums, Musicians, Song structure. Its all perfect.

thats a dumb thing to say. mike portnoy draws most of his influence from neil peart. and peart can play anything mike can play. i'd go with neil peart by a longshot. you have to remember anything mike portnoy is playing, hes playing because neil peart invented it

just because mike was heavily influenced by neil doesn't mean that everything he plays is taken from him. in fact it doesn't mean anything he plays is taken from neil. danny carey is one of my biggest influences and my style is nothing like his.
in fact, there are really very few concrete similarities between these two drummers. they're both in popular progressive rock bands, but there's no way you can hear one of them playing and mistake it somehow for the other.
Beat on.
drummert2k

Post Thu Jun 14, 2007 2:23 pm

xdoseonex wrote:
dreamtheaterfan1128 wrote:If you ask me, Neil's style is very basic. Neil cant do one middle section of a dream theater song, the time signature changes, and not that, but what Mike does in those time sigs is nothing but incredible, I mean Going to half time in the middle of a measure, pure genious. And Rush now Is horrible, Rush dont write like they used to. And Dream Theaters music is so advanced on every level, concept albums, Musicians, Song structure. Its all perfect.

thats a dumb thing to say. mike portnoy draws most of his influence from neil peart. and peart can play anything mike can play. i'd go with neil peart by a longshot. you have to remember anything mike portnoy is playing, hes playing because neil peart invented it

i totally agree with the above. it would take someone who has never heard either of them drum to not be able to tell who is who. neil had been taught by gene kruppa but you dont hear him swinging on every song. both dream theater and rush are progressive rock but have totally differant sounds.

as for mike playing stuff because neil invented it, have you ever listened to mikes playing? it doesnt sound like you have. put in a liquid tension disc or even a dream theater disc and let me know which parts where "invented" by neil.
break the prism
groove master
groove master

Post Thu Jun 14, 2007 6:07 pm

exactly. listen to 2112 and then Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence and see if you can find any similarities between the drums.
Beat on.
PDP9000
groove master
groove master

Post Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:41 pm

neil pert bro
xdoseonex
groove master
groove master

Post Sat Jun 16, 2007 7:10 pm

drummert2k wrote:
xdoseonex wrote:

i totally agree with the above. it would take someone who has never heard either of them drum to not be able to tell who is who. neil had been taught by gene kruppa but you dont hear him swinging on every song. both dream theater and rush are progressive rock but have totally differant sounds.

as for mike playing stuff because neil invented it, have you ever listened to mikes playing? it doesnt sound like you have. put in a liquid tension disc or even a dream theater disc and let me know which parts where "invented" by neil.

your right. i take back that last line. he didnt invent the grooves mike plays. but he pretty much invented the style. and he tattaly layed the foundation for anything mike portnoy has ever done.

there really is a shitload of great drummers on this forum. and i really value all your opinions (especially yours drummer 2k) were all firm believers in certain things. and its really awesome to have a forum to come together and talk about and debate our opinions and ideas. iv definately learned a lot from all of you and i hope i'v done my part to educate in my areas of expertise.

just being able to be corrected by someone who isnt a total asshole makes me proud to be part of this forum
Proud to endorse TRICK Percussion
phoenix7289
groove master
groove master

Post Sat Jun 16, 2007 8:30 pm

Laugh.....out............loud. But I know what you're saying man. :) This is one of the few... not-so-asshole-filled forums on the internet!
I proudly play with Tama (snare drums), PDP, Sabian, LP, Paiste, Vic Firth, Aquarian (bass and snare heads), and Remo (tom heads)brands! My biggest drummer influences are Mic Fleetwood, Nicko McBrain, and Mike Portnoy.
crackheadback
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:26 am

Neil is the man.... Not only was this guy the best of his generation, he turns around and learns to play with traditional grip and plays Jazz in the Buddy tribute!!!!!! Musically speaking, I don't think anyone can touch him.
DreamT
beginner
beginner

Post Mon Jun 18, 2007 1:09 pm

I would agree that Pert has Portnoy on the snare drum and rhudimentary technique but I will say the Portnoy has got to be one of the greatest drum part creators of all time.