Neil Peart ORRR Mike Portnoy

Drummers' Hall of Fame.
You know a great drummer? Tell us about it!
Questions, discussions and overviews.

Moderator: Moderators

I Wear Emericas
beginner
beginner

Post Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:07 am

Ah, dare I ask one of these questions. hahaha.

Well out of the two I've only heard Neil Peart. I just know alot of people swear by Mike Portnoy. So in your opinion, which drummer do you prefer? Not who's better, cause obviously they're both talented. Ha.
hardcore_drumm3r
beginner
beginner

Post Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:08 am

I like em both, Mike Portnoy is more suited to rock but Neil can play anything.

-Tama Swingstars - Soon upgrading to a Mapex Pro M 6 piece
-Sabian Metal X and AA cymbals
-Remo Heads
Timekeep69

Post Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:16 am

Well, considering Mike Portnoy names Neil Peart as his biggest influence, one should probably like both.
www.pjclevenger.com

www.medicinemandrumsaz.com

DML Special: 20% off all drums.

Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights do make a left!
anavrinIV
groove master
groove master

Post Sun Apr 29, 2007 2:54 pm

i definately agree with pj but im a bigger fan of mike. both are amazing, technical, blazing prog rock drummers but mike is more fun to listen to. ive seen portnoy live (i will see peart in june) and he is incredibly energetic and a blast to watch as he looks like he is just doing what he loves. from what i hear peart is just robotic. mike portnoy has influenced me more than anyone else at this point and i just love listening to his work.
zen_drummer wrote:Real life doesn't work that way, and one day he's gonna pull a stunt like that and they'll put a cap in him. At that point it won't matter that he was fat in high-school and couldn't get laid.
lowdrummer
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Apr 29, 2007 3:00 pm

Their both crazy good, and i have both of there dvd's, and from watching those dvds Mike Portnoy is way more fun.
Tama Starclassic Bubinga kit #1
Tama Starclassic Birch kit #2
DW snare
DW 9000 double pedal
DW 9000 series hardware
Zildjian A and Z custom Cymbals
bam bam3
beginner
beginner

Post Sun Apr 29, 2007 6:57 pm

neil pert for me
Tama Iron cobra pedal
Pearl Session Custom
Zildjian cymbals
Evans heads
5A Vic Virth Sticks
dreamtheaterfan1128
new
new

Post Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:54 am

I Wear Emericas wrote:Ah, dare I ask one of these questions. hahaha.

Well out of the two I've only heard Neil Peart. I just know alot of people swear by Mike Portnoy. So in your opinion, which drummer do you prefer? Not who's better, cause obviously they're both talented. Ha.

Go here to here what Mike does in crazy time signatures.
:lol: :D
http://youtube.com/watch?v=1Wp7b_ESuQY
RogersDrummer
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:51 am

Neil Pert by a mile. Not only have I found him and Rush more enjoyable to listen to, but I've always liked to hear what Neil has to say about the drums, and music in general.

I've never been able to stomach Dream Theater, nor Mike Portnoy's wretched drum tone.
The only thing that can prevent you from acheving even the furthest goal, is doubt. Stay dedicated.
MrBojengles
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:56 am

dreamtheaterfan1128 wrote:
I Wear Emericas wrote:Ah, dare I ask one of these questions. hahaha.

Go here to here what Mike does in crazy time signatures.
:lol: :D
http://youtube.com/watch?v=1Wp7b_ESuQY

the style of that kit has been in my favorites since forever :o

maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan yah
portnoy for the win.. hes not as old as neil :) evan though that doesnt matter.
hey. :)
m
groove master
groove master

Post Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:01 pm

SPeaking of which:

Portnoy does Peart:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBnK7fC4yj0
Moderndrummer16
new
new

Post Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:51 pm

Neil Peart :D

I choose him because hes in one of my favorite bands and he is also canadian
Ludwig
Sabian
Pro Mark
Drummer93
beginner
beginner

Post Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:12 pm

Rush is so much better than Dream Theatre.....and Neil Peart is so much better than Mike Portnoy.....and I'm not just saying that because I think Neil Peart is the best drummer ever.....I've studied both for a long time. Neil's form and rythmic styles are greater than Portnoy's.....and Portnoy's solos are kind of generic...no offense to any of his fans out there.....
dreamtheaterfan1128
new
new

Post Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:36 pm

If you ask me, Neil's style is very basic. Neil cant do one middle section of a dream theater song, the time signature changes, and not that, but what Mike does in those time sigs is nothing but incredible, I mean Going to half time in the middle of a measure, pure genious. And Rush now Is horrible, Rush dont write like they used to. And Dream Theaters music is so advanced on every level, concept albums, Musicians, Song structure. Its all perfect.
anavrinIV
groove master
groove master

Post Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:42 pm

dreamtheaterfan1128 wrote:If you ask me, Neil's style is very basic. Neil cant do one middle section of a dream theater song, the time signature changes, and not that, but what Mike does in those time sigs is nothing but incredible, I mean Going to half time in the middle of a measure, pure genious. And Rush now Is horrible, Rush dont write like they used to. And Dream Theaters music is so advanced on every level, concept albums, Musicians, Song structure. Its all perfect.

dude, peart has some of the most insanely technical grooves youve heard in rock drumming, and rush rarely uses 4/4 time. also, ive heard that rushs newest cd gets back to their roots. i do prefer mike but to say that peart is basic is one of the grossest things ive heard said.
zen_drummer wrote:Real life doesn't work that way, and one day he's gonna pull a stunt like that and they'll put a cap in him. At that point it won't matter that he was fat in high-school and couldn't get laid.
rockon2112yyz
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:45 pm

Both Rush and Dream Theater are my favorite bands but I read an interview with Mike Portnoy and he said that 1. Neil Peart is his biggest influence and wishes to be as good as him someday..and 2. Mike said he can not pull off the rudimentary stuff that Neil does.

Portnoy does show more skill though and is way faster on the double bass
Neil fuckin' Peart man