Niel Peart

Drummers' Hall of Fame.
You know a great drummer? Tell us about it!
Questions, discussions and overviews.

Moderator: Moderators

PeartCopeland2112
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:21 pm

Neil Peart has been my favorite drummer since I started listening to Rush 7 years ago. He's the one who made me want to pick up the sticks, influenced my playing style, and made me realize that playing the drums can be more than accompaniment. All of the people who criticize him for not playing with passion and playing repetitive beats first need to realize that playing without passion and playing with extreme concentration are two different things, of which Neil relates to the latter. I don't think he would have continued playing the drums for 33 years with Rush if he wasn't passionate about his art. Secondly, because he plays the same beats mean he is following his own individual style, and could be said about any drummer. What's so bad about a drummer playing similar patterns? Absolutely nothing. It's personal preference, and everyone likes different drummers, but give the man his due. His skills and ability are up there with the drumming legends, and could be considered one of the greatest drummers of all time.
xdoseonex
groove master
groove master

Post Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:40 pm

break the prism wrote:i think he's a great drummer technically, but i don't feel any heart in what he plays. that and well...he uses the same linear pattern from Spirit of Radio in about 15 other songs.

haha yeah, he uses that bell pattern all the time. but he's one of my favorite drummers. definately top 3.
Proud to endorse TRICK Percussion
xdoseonex
groove master
groove master

Post Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:47 pm

And hes not in the rock and roll hall of fame. whats with that?
Proud to endorse TRICK Percussion
PeartCopeland2112
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:54 pm

xdoseonex wrote:And hes not in the rock and roll hall of fame. whats with that?

Rush is not in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame because the Rock Hall is a load of political bullshit. Music critics have never liked Rush and vice versa. Being a huge Rush fan, I could care less if they never get inducted. I think it would be an insult to just throw them in there out of pity. Even Alex has said he could care less if they got in. They have a huge passionate fan base to support them, and that's something I'd take any day over a bunch of fake fans and media attention. It's all about the music, and that's what Rush is and always will be about.
Rob the Drummer
session drummer
session drummer

Post Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:39 pm

Neil is just a so-so drummer....there I said it...I didn't mean it, but I said it! :D

Nahhh! He's one of the best and inspired sooooo many drummers! Portnoy would be nothing if it weren't for Peart. Peart's the reason the drum solo is "acceptable." Anyone goes to a Rush show, drummer or not, and comes home...What's the first thing they talk about? The drum solo!
Rata-tata-zzzzzzz......Drums Always!

www.youtube.com/robthedrummer
Sara_Tama!
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Jun 28, 2007 11:07 pm

trashed_and_scatered wrote:Neal Peart, i think hes 1 of the greatest drummers every, wat do u think

You just said what i think!

But I choose to admire drummers from all genres, I also like influences from drummers who aren't exactly re-inventing the kit or are extreamly technical but have very quirky styles and innovative ideas. My Idols are young and modern drummers like Matt Helder (Arctic Monkeys), Dominic Howard (Muse) and Derrick McKenzie (Jamiroquai,...hmm not soo young :wink: ..).
but NEIL PEART = LEGEND
..." The Art of hitting things..."
Rob Crisp
groove master
groove master

Post Fri Jun 29, 2007 4:15 am

I have to say I love Neil's playing, I personally think he is one of the greatest.

I didn't know about his family until this thread, but I've always got a vibe when watching him. Anyone else get an almost sad, lonely vibe from him when he's playing or talking? It's almost like part of him is missing?
crackheadback
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Jul 01, 2007 12:53 pm

I love this guy so much that I would let him bang me with his bass pedal beater!!!!! ouch
PDP9000
groove master
groove master

Post Sun Jul 01, 2007 6:22 pm

Best drummer ever
ccrdrums
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:36 pm

well neil is definately one of my few drumming influences i love his work and what he does with his rides
In order for God to increase we need to decrease.
break the prism
groove master
groove master

Post Tue Jul 03, 2007 3:01 pm

Rob the Drummer wrote:Neil is just a so-so drummer....there I said it...I didn't mean it, but I said it! :D

Nahhh! He's one of the best and inspired sooooo many drummers! Portnoy would be nothing if it weren't for Peart. Peart's the reason the drum solo is "acceptable." Anyone goes to a Rush show, drummer or not, and comes home...What's the first thing they talk about? The drum solo!

people have been appreciating drum solos in western music since the emergence of hard bop and other jazz styles.
Beat on.