Niel Peart

Drummers' Hall of Fame.
You know a great drummer? Tell us about it!
Questions, discussions and overviews.

Moderator: Moderators

trashed_and_scatered
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:39 am

Neal Peart, i think hes 1 of the greatest drummers every, wat do u think
Groove
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:53 am

What do I think? I think spell check is a great thing and should be used often!!

:D :D

Seriouly NEIL is a great drummer and has been an icon for decades. I grew up play Rush tunes.
D. Shane Fowlkes
www.JustDrumsOnline.com
www.MySpace.com/JustDrums
DrummerSnake
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:18 am

Neil Peart definetly is a great drummer, but - great being a relative term - there are others that cannot go without mention - Mike Portnoy, Carter Beauford, even Phil Rudd and Lars can be considered great for thier style of music.
mute
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:55 pm

don't go see the movie just for peart. it's a cartoon.
but go see the movie.
Howepirate

Post Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:43 pm

Portnoy could go without mention
shanemunzert
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:18 pm

yea, you should probably learn to spell his name.
zharil
beginner
beginner

Post Sat Apr 21, 2007 6:41 pm

hahahah
but yeah i like him alot
who discover that we could get milk from cows..
and what was he thinking at that time..????!!
DrumFiend0206
session drummer
session drummer

Post Sat Apr 21, 2007 7:05 pm

Groove wrote:What do I think? I think spell check is a great thing and should be used often!!

:D :D

Seriouly NEIL is a great drummer and has been an icon for decades. I grew up play Rush tunes.

Lol, not trying to start a fight at all, but come on...it's a little bit ironic that you misspelled a word. lol

And Neil is a great drummer, but not the greatest. I don't think there ever could be a greatest of all time. All drummer are constantly learning new things, and getting more inspiration. If you knew EVERYTHING, there would be no more point in playing. :D
break the prism
groove master
groove master

Post Sat Apr 21, 2007 7:48 pm

i think he's a great drummer technically, but i don't feel any heart in what he plays. that and well...he uses the same linear pattern from Spirit of Radio in about 15 other songs.
Beat on.
Howepirate

Post Sat Apr 21, 2007 8:12 pm

break the prism wrote:i think he's a great drummer technically, but i don't feel any heart in what he plays. that and well...he uses the same linear pattern from Spirit of Radio in about 15 other songs.

Yo dude...the guy lost his wife and kids..he probably has a deep concentrated thought when he plays because of it. Not to mention he does most of the artwork and lyrics for the songs
break the prism
groove master
groove master

Post Sat Apr 21, 2007 8:24 pm

i didn't say he wasn't creative. and i know about his life and his work with Rush. i love Rush, i'm just stating that i don't feel any heart in Peart's drumming anymore. and i happened to notice that he's re-used the same beat throughout a lot of Rush' albums.
Beat on.
m
groove master
groove master

Post Sun Apr 22, 2007 7:11 am

he's recently said that touring is taking its toll on him; he's in pain after the shows, and I don't think he's ever really enjoyed the touring life- he's said as much several times. Considering that they're not exactly teen-agers anymore, it's pretty amazing that they still do the intense shows that they do.

On the last tour, it looked to me like it took him a lot more effort and it didn't seem quite as smooth. Over the years, many people have claimed he's stiff and 'soulless' it's even something Neil himself says he tries to work on. Personally, I like his style, I think it fits the band just fine. It's definitely more cerebrally-oriented, to me- his parts are finely crafted and arranged and he pretty much always plays them exactly the same. But that's what they do.

He obviously has an immense love and respect for drums and percussion, and that can't help but be a good influence for any drummist, I figure.
I'm just glad Rush is still going. (Of course, I haven't heard the whole new album yet...)

I'm curious about this post though:
Not to mention he does most of the artwork

how do you mean? That's not something I've heard before.
break the prism
groove master
groove master

Post Sun Apr 22, 2007 7:54 am

he does Rush's album cover concept art and such. he designed the "starman" logo on his bass drum head and wrap finishes.
Beat on.
m
groove master
groove master

Post Sun Apr 22, 2007 8:16 am

break the prism wrote:he does Rush's album cover concept art and such. he designed the "starman" logo on his bass drum head and wrap finishes.

well, I'm even more confused now-
I thought Hugh Syme had been designing the cover art; I know Neil works closely with him, but Hugh's always been the credited artist.

in fact, this is taken from Wikipedia (I know, it's not exactly the 'ultimate' source, but this is what I've always understood to be the case with Rush artwork):

Hugh Syme is a graphic artist, he is best known for his artwork and cover concepts for rock and metal bands. He is also a musician and has appeared in some Rush songs as a keyboard player. He is notably responsible for all of Rush's album cover art since 1975's Caress of Steel. He also created Rush's famous starman logo. He has said on several occasions that he never imagined the band would use it as their main logo.
break the prism
groove master
groove master

Post Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:49 am

i was always confused by that as well. because i've heard Rush in interviews saying that Neil did a lot of the artwork, but i've also heard of Hugh Syme and his work with their albums. i don't know. as far as drumming goes, i'm a fan of what Peart has done with Rush, and his "Professor" solos are stunning, but the issue of re-using and overusing certain beats is still apparent to me.
Beat on.