whats neil peart been up to?

Drummers' Hall of Fame.
You know a great drummer? Tell us about it!
Questions, discussions and overviews.

Moderator: Moderators

blastbeats666
session drummer
session drummer

Post Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:25 pm

when ever a drummer talks about neil peart there is usually been some level of admiration that goes along with it. but i was just watching "that metal show" on VH1 Classic and they did a thing on rush, but no neil. i have noticed that he likes to be secritive, but like whats he been up to? side projects? stuff with rush? anyone help me out on this? thanks
screw you mike
metldrummer2112
groove master
groove master

Post Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:38 pm

I know this is probably going to start a pissing match like it did last time I posted it, but I think Peart is overrated.

There I said it, let the hate flow! :twisted:
"Slaughter and Salvation, we bore two irreconcilable focuses."

"We dare speak the word, King Of Those Who Know."
possumofdestruction
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:53 pm

^ i agree sir, let someone else have the spotlight.
bash, bang, slam, whatever, yeah, ima drummer.
metldrummer2112
groove master
groove master

Post Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:54 pm

Thank you Possum!
"Slaughter and Salvation, we bore two irreconcilable focuses."

"We dare speak the word, King Of Those Who Know."
blastbeats666
session drummer
session drummer

Post Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:14 am

i think hes over rated just wonderin what hes been up to...
screw you mike
nydubber
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:21 pm

he's been riding his BMW and writing books...

he is an avid motorcyclist. His work(s) are quite good as well, very inspirational writing if you are into that sorta thing.
Sonor Performer/ZXT Titaniums/DW 9000/Sonor+Pearl Hardware
TheYardstick
groove master
groove master

Post Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:56 pm

I'm pretty sure Rush is still touring and will be working on a new album.

And blame Rush fans for how high Neil Peart sits in the kingdom, they're the exact same way with Geddy Lee and Alex Lifeson.
"I think we ought to read only the kind of books that wound and stab us. If the book we are reading doesn't wake us up with a blow on the head, what are we reading it for?"-Franz Kafka

My Last.fm
possumofdestruction
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:50 pm

i won't disagree that he's a godly drummer, but i sometimes think the word progressive is interchangeable with overplaying...some of the stuff iv'e heard him play with rush wan't necessary. imho btw. and i would need gps to navigate his kit.
bash, bang, slam, whatever, yeah, ima drummer.
TheYardstick
groove master
groove master

Post Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:36 pm

Peart doesn't like the fills that he's known for, the Producer makes him play it and says it would be better for the song.
"I think we ought to read only the kind of books that wound and stab us. If the book we are reading doesn't wake us up with a blow on the head, what are we reading it for?"-Franz Kafka

My Last.fm
blastbeats666
session drummer
session drummer

Post Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:55 pm

TheYardstick wrote:And blame Rush fans for how high Neil Peart sits in the kingdom, they're the exact same way with Geddy Lee and Alex Lifeson.

+1 thats exactly how i feel
screw you mike
randomdrum
session drummer
session drummer

Post Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:15 pm

Random Hand
Me!!

Mapex Drums
DW8000 Pedals
Sabian Cymbals
Vater Sticks
Alan_
groove master
groove master

Post Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:43 am

I don't care what you kids think, the drumming on older rush albums is awesome and groovy.

I agree, some fans make him out to be the most technically advanced player to ever pick up a pair of sticks, which he obviously isn't. but seriously, who cares? he has some cool ideas, and he executes them extremely well. don't let some overzealous fans sour your milk.
wmpdrummer13
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:49 am

I dont understand how so many "nobody's" can state that someone who has actually done some great things in the drumming world is overrated. To me if you are going to call Neil Peart or any other drummer overrated then I expect "you" to do something better than him and for some reason that has not happend yet! Maybe hes not as overrated as you think!

Tama Rockstar Custom, Zildjian A Customs and A series cymbals, Paiste, Sabian, Wuhan, Promark Japanese Oak, Remo and Evans Heads, DW hardware, Pearl Icon Rack, DW 8002 pedals
Empyrean Drums
groove master
groove master

Post Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:00 am

wmpdrummer13 wrote:I dont understand how so many "nobody's" can state that someone who has actually done some great things in the drumming world is overrated. To me if you are going to call Neil Peart or any other drummer overrated then I expect "you" to do something better than him and for some reason that has not happend yet! Maybe hes not as overrated as you think!

I don't have anything against Peart or Rush and the constant claim that "so and so is over-rated" is old and tired, but there are many instances when a person's fame surpasses their abilities and accomplishments. Any laymen observer can point that out.
Verify our range to target, one ping only…
wmpdrummer13
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:48 am

Well how can a "laymen observer" make a claim that something is overrated when they cannot produce something better? Might be overrated compared to someone else who might be better and at that point and time that person who is better can state that. We have too many critics in this world that cant do shit themselves, and i hate to see that bullcrap flow into the drumming community, we dont need that!

Tama Rockstar Custom, Zildjian A Customs and A series cymbals, Paiste, Sabian, Wuhan, Promark Japanese Oak, Remo and Evans Heads, DW hardware, Pearl Icon Rack, DW 8002 pedals