If you could talk to your favorite drummer...

Drummers' Hall of Fame.
You know a great drummer? Tell us about it!
Questions, discussions and overviews.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby Manzo » Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:46 am

If you could talk to your favorite drummer for 5 minutes, who would it be and what would you ask him/her?
Manzo
session drummer
session drummer

Help our forum grow and visit our sponsors pages!

Help DML grow and visit pages on left!

Postby DrumFiend0206 » Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:54 am

It would definitely either be Jojo Mayer, or Frederik Anderson :twisted:

I would definitely have to ask what made them pick up drumming in the first place.
DrumFiend0206
session drummer
session drummer

Postby Empyrean Drums » Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:56 am

When I met Peter Wildoer and the rest of Darkane at metalfest they were with all the guys in Soilwork too. At first I felt dwarfed buy their presence, but the moment we started talking it was like they were all just regular guys. We BS'd about drums, bands, work, then watched some bands play together. It was amazing how humble they were, like they were happier that I was there to see them then I was
Empyrean Drums
groove master
groove master

Postby Manzo » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:00 am

DrumFiend0206 wrote:It would definitely either be Jojo Mayer, or Frederik Anderson :twisted:

I would definitely have to ask what made them pick up drumming in the first place.

Fredrik Andersson is my favorite drummer, met him once at one of Amon Amarth shows.

I covered two new amon amarth songs. check them out: www.youtube.com/manzo27
Manzo
session drummer
session drummer

Postby Alan_ » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:14 am

god, I have to pick one? do they have to be living? I'm not sure I have one favorite, but if I could pick one living or dead it would probably be buddy rich, and I'd wanna talk about chick webb.
Alan_
groove master
groove master

Postby Alan_ » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:17 am

if they have to be alive I would want to talk to ginger baker. I'm not sure what I'd ask him, probably want to pick his brain about his extensive knowledge of african drumming. heck, I probably wouldn't be able to come up with a single intelligent thing to say tho.

ringo would be a lot of fun too.
Alan_
groove master
groove master

Postby Airborne Ranger » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:27 am

It'd be hard to pick just one as Ringo, Max Weinberg, Max Roach and many more would be on my shortlist.
If I had to pick one though, it would be my absolute favorite drummer, Chris Layton of SRV & DT. I would want to know what it was like playing with a genius like SRV and all the other greats he's played with...Albert King, Buddy Guy & Eric Clapton.
Airborne Ranger
session drummer
session drummer

Postby SlackBackLazy » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:30 am

I would ask Chad Smith if he likes marmite
My favourite word is badass

Mapex M birch - purple
Paiste - Alpha hats and ride, 2002 crash, twenty splash

SlackBackLazy
drumming adept
drumming adept

Postby Alan_ » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:55 am

Airborne Ranger wrote:It'd be hard to pick just one as Ringo, Max Weinberg, Max Roach and many more would be on my shortlist.
If I had to pick one though, it would be my absolute favorite drummer, Chris Layton of SRV & DT. I would want to know what it was like playing with a genius like SRV and all the other greats he's played with...Albert King, Buddy Guy & Eric Clapton.

I met him once at a party here. extremely nice guy. didn't really talk about his career at all, just more shooting the breeze for a few.
Alan_
groove master
groove master

Postby drummerduba » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:58 am

well jason bittner is ONE of my favourite drummers

we discussed Axis Pedals, Meinl, Shadows Fall touring, going out drinkin'

just general drumming banter

Cheers
Duba
Last edited by drummerduba on Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Silverfox Drumsticks UK Artist
Soultone Cymbals UK Artist
drummerduba
groove master
groove master

Postby Airborne Ranger » Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:05 am

Alan_ wrote:
Airborne Ranger wrote:It'd be hard to pick just one as Ringo, Max Weinberg, Max Roach and many more would be on my shortlist.

I met him once at a party here. extremely nice guy. didn't really talk about his career at all, just more shooting the breeze for a few.

He played at PASIC last year but I wasn't able to make it to show, I really wanted to sit in on his master class. The show is in Austin again next year, so maybe I'll get another chance to see him.
Airborne Ranger
session drummer
session drummer

Postby sjoey1r » Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:14 am

Thats an awesome question Manzo.
Mines obvious isnt it? lol
Joey Jordison.
I'd wanna know all bout what it was like in the beginning of slipknot.
And obvious, set-up and general drum talk.
I've shook his hand at download STOKED! :D lol

I've met A LOT of drummers...a few being-(if your interested)

Another inspiration to me of whom I've met Jaska Raatikainen, i hung out with him and Children of Bodom boys for the day in london. Hes a really awesome dude. we spoke about drums the whole time, and he looked really interested in what i had to say.

Heikki saari(norther) i met, we spoke about pearl eliminators and triggering. Haha
Kevin Talley(daath) . We spoke about his new custom drums.
John Boeklin(Devildriver) I actually helped him take his kit down and pack it all away. was awesome we spoke about drums the whole time. AWESOME!

Also would Love to meet Daniel Svennson(In Flames) and Chris adler(lamb of god) too.
sjoey1r
drumming adept
drumming adept

Postby Alan_ » Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:23 am

I have met Gene Hoglan. he was nice to a fault, just good people. he let me watch him warm up. this was when I saw him with Strapping Young Lad.
Alan_
groove master
groove master

Postby DrumFiend0206 » Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:19 pm

Alan_ wrote:I have met Gene Hoglan. he was nice to a fault, just good people. he let me watch him warm up. this was when I saw him with Strapping Young Lad.

I am 100% jealous. I love Gene Hoglan, I've seen a couple videos of him, one of him when recording Alien for SYL, and he does seem like a really super nice guy. Man. I would love to meet him too.
DrumFiend0206
session drummer
session drummer

Postby Empyrean Drums » Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:45 pm

I've met him at SYL shows too, he always comes out to talk to people. He has such a towering presence, and he's just how Alan says. Its hard to imagine him with anyting but a smile on his face
Empyrean Drums
groove master
groove master

Next

Return to Drummer World