Top 10 best all time rock drummers of all time....

Drummers' Hall of Fame.
You know a great drummer? Tell us about it!
Questions, discussions and overviews.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby nhdrummergrl » Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:11 pm

John/Jason Bonham
Neil Peart
Tommy Lee
Roger Taylor (Duran Duran)
Roger Taylor (Queen)
Lars Ulrich
Danny Carey
Keith Moon
Tony Thompson
Ray Luzier
Terry Bozzio

oops, more than 10;)
8)
"It's every parent's nightmare, I suppose, that their child becomes a drummer."-Roger Taylor, Duran Duran
nhdrummergrl
new
new

Help our forum grow and visit our sponsors pages!

Help DML grow and visit pages on left!

Postby Jaymoney » Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:11 am

Bonzo
Bonzo
Bonzo
Bonzo
Bonzo
Bonzo
Bonzo
Bonzo
Bonzo
Bonzo
and 1 for good measure Bonzooooo
Jaymoney
beginner
beginner

Top 10 rock drummers

Postby lv4worship » Tue Nov 28, 2006 5:42 pm

1)Neil Pert (Rush)
2)Carl Palmer (ELP)
3)John Bonham (Led Zeplin)
4)Steve Smith (Journey)
5)Alex Van Halen(Van Halen)
6)Keith Moon (the Who)
7)Liberty Devito (Billy Joel)
8) Steve Gaad
9) Stewart Copeland
10)Dave Grohl
This is just my opinion.....I could be wrong :D
lv4worship
new
new

Postby skiingfool3469 » Thu Nov 30, 2006 7:20 pm

Before reading this know that I am a huge 70's rock fan. All the following drummers are from that era of music. I have no respect for punk drummers except for Travis Barker. I also have no respect what so ever for any death metal drummer. Both those types of music are an embarrasment when it comes to making good music. I've always said that good music comes from talented musicians and cocaine. Death metal and Punk can sound sweet and look cool on stage some time, but thats just showmenship not real musical talent. You may think that they are talented in their "style" but in all their style sucks compared to there rock predesecors.

The top ten greatest drummers of all time are as follows:

1. John "Bonzo" Bonham (Led Zeppelin)
2. John Bohams dick
3. Keith Moon (The Who)
4. Bill Ward (Black Sabbath)
5. Carl Palmer (ELP)
6. Corky Laing (Mountain)
7. Ginger Baker (Cream)
8. Neil Peart (Rush)
9. Carmine Appice (Vanilla Fudge)
10. Phil Collins (Genesis)

Why:

1. Bonham played heavy and loud with huge sticks, why because he was the shit. He played with pounding tempos like in "When the Levee Breaks" and yet he had the finesse to play such songs as " Tea For One" and the transition ability to play "What Is and What Should Never Be." He was amazing on stage as well as in the studio. He could play with one foot what most drummers can only do with a double bass. Listen to "Good Times, Bad Times" or "Moby Dick" if you have never before heard it make sure your on the toilet cause your gonna shit your pants. He played drunk all the time and he still sounded fucking amazing. Bass drum triplets, broken triplets, complex beats, off time playing, technically sound and crisp. John Bonham is just the most amazing drummer of all time with out question. None of this Neil Peart shit or all your metal bouble bass drummers or punk drummers. Chuck Norris once tried to play the drums, but stopped. WHY? Because of John Bonham.

2. Unknown to most John Bonhams famous solo "Moby Dick" in which he plays his drums with his hands really came about because the band thought that using his dick was to inappropriate for the audience.

3. Keith Moon along with John Boham played loud and hard. That was the whole bands image. Loud music with pounding grooves. He had a large drum kit with a double bass, but he used all of his drums and very well. He played fills and grooves like they were 4/4 beats.

4. If you ever listen to Black Sabbath you know how Bill Ward can play. His drumming is complex and crisp. He can play amazing 4/4 beats and fills. Songs like "The Wizard", "War Pigs", "Rat Salad", "Sabra Cadabra" and "Snowblind" are some of my favorite songs, but all Sabbath songs are amazing with complex drums.

5. Carl Palmer can play. When I first herad "Tank" for the first time I was absolutley amazed. I don't know if he used electronic drums or if he could play that fast. i do know though that Keith Emerson has some synthesisors playing in the song, but it doesn't diminish Palmer ability to play the fucking drums.

6. Mountain is a relatively unknown band. With "Mississippi Queen" being the only song you ever hear about that has any rated success. Try to find the old Mountain albums like Nantucket Sleigh Ride and listen to them. How this band never got superstar status is beyond me. They were amazing. Corky Laing could play the drums and Leslie West was an amazing guitarist. Corky can play sweet beats and great fills with a kinda swing feel. It makes for what I think an amazing fucking time.

7. Toad. great.

8. As much as I hate Rush and that retarded as voiced singer of theirs. Neil Peart has got some skills. He likes drums and has a lot of them and he plays them all very well.

9. Carmine Appice had a great steady feel. I have one of his drum lesson books and find it to be very usefull and has many great beats and fills. he was also a good friend of John Bonham, so just being breathed on by Bonham is godly.

10. I respect Phil Collins because he thought he could produce music. Drummers don't produce music and thats why he is in my top ten. His inability to produce music proves that he was a drummer at heart and Genesis was pretty kick ass.

I hope that I have affended at least half the people on this website.
skiingfool3469
new
new

Postby skiingfool3469 » Thu Nov 30, 2006 7:45 pm

In my last post i forgot to add that I may not like some types of music(like death metal or punk), but I do respect them in the fact that they are drummers and love to play.
skiingfool3469
new
new

top ten best drummers of all time

Postby saveadrumbangadrummer » Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:21 pm

i would have to think about that for a while. but wha ti dont understand is why people give john bonham so much credit....i meant he was a good drummer... but anyone can play him.......or our play him for tht matter....im not saying he wasnt a good drummer because he really is i just dont think he deserves to bein the top ten
saveadrumbangadrummer
beginner
beginner

Postby josh.durdle » Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:57 am

1. Jimmy ''The Rev'' Sullivan (Avenged Sevenfold, Pinkly Smooth) best drummer ever hands down
2. Leche (former As Blood Runs Black) one of the fastest double kickers ever!! listen to my fears have become phobias, and legends never die, amazing!
3. Chris Adler (Lamb of God)
4. Joey Jordison (Slipknot)
5. John Dolmayan (System of a Down, Scars on Broadway)
6. Shannon Larkin (Godsmack)
7. Jordan Mancino (As I Lay Dying)
8. Dave Lombardo (Slayer)
9. Vinnie Paul Abbott (Pantera)
10. Keith Moon (The Who) dont care much for the who but keith is an amazing drummer
josh.durdle
new
new

Postby Alan_ » Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:10 am

this thread is lol, not sure why it got dragged out from under the bus.

some REALLY well-thought-out posts a few up.
Alan_
groove master
groove master

Postby Steve@NDC » Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:17 am

Top 10, not necessarily in order:

Bonham
Charlie Watts
Chad Smith
Stewart Copeland
Ringo
Phil Rudd
Mitch Mitchell
Ginger Baker
Alex VanHalen
Keith Moon
Steve@NDC
drumming adept
drumming adept

Postby ChrisNichols » Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:25 am

Hmmmmm...not in any particular order, I'd go with:

Roger Taylor (my personal favourite) - Queen
Keith Moon - The Who
John Bonham - Led Zeppelin
Neil Peart - Rush
Ian Paice - Deep Purple
Stewart Copeland - The Police
Ginger Baker - Cream (I know he's a jazz drummer, but he played rock with Cream, so it counts)
Mitch Mitchell - Jimi Hendrix
Phil Collins - Genesis
Rick Allen - Def Leppard (best one-armed drummer ever!)
This could only be more awesome if it had tits and was on fire.
ChrisNichols
session drummer
session drummer

Re: top ten best drummers of all time

Postby ChrisNichols » Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:26 am

saveadrumbangadrummer wrote:i would have to think about that for a while. but wha ti dont understand is why people give john bonham so much credit....i meant he was a good drummer... but anyone can play him.......or our play him for tht matter....im not saying he wasnt a good drummer because he really is i just dont think he deserves to bein the top ten

Post a video of you playing 'Fool In The Rain' with a single pedal and I might take you a bit more seriously.
This could only be more awesome if it had tits and was on fire.
ChrisNichols
session drummer
session drummer

Postby blink44 » Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:02 pm

Mine goes in order from my favorites.
*they arent the best but they are still my favorite*
1) Atom Willard
2) Neil Peart
3) Travis Barker
4) Steward Copeland
5) Alex Van Halen
6) Carter Beauford
7) Nicko Mcbrain

surprised that no one posted Carter or nicko.
blink44
drumming adept
drumming adept

Postby Alan_ » Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:08 pm

nicko mcbrain was one of my BIG influences in the 80's. He's a very distinctive player. tons of character to his drumming.

my favorite rock drummers would also have to include

rey washam
bill stevenson
john bonham
steve shelley
ian paice
jimmy chamberlain
ginger baker
mitch mitchell
keith moon
dale crover
Alan_
groove master
groove master

My Top 10

Postby chrispychilla » Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:44 pm

Glenn Kotche (Wilco)

Ginger Baker (Cream)

John Convertino (Calexico)

Carter Beauford (DMB)

Patrick Hallahan (My Morning Jacket)

Jon Theodore (Mars Volta)

Olly Peacock (Gomez)

Michael Barker (John Butler Trio)

Patrick Carney (Black Keys)

Ringo (some band from the 60’s)
Last edited by chrispychilla on Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
Acrolite
Ziljgian
Pro Mark
Roc-n-Soc
Amstel light
Groupies
chrispychilla
drumming adept
drumming adept

Postby Alan_ » Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:45 pm

dood patrick hallahan is awesome. I've seen My Morning Jacket 3 times and every single time has been a great experience.
Alan_
groove master
groove master

PreviousNext

Return to Drummer World