DW 5000 Vs. DW 9000 pedal

Axis, DW, Pearl, Tama...

Moderator: Moderators

m
groove master
groove master

Post Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:03 pm

Jriddim wrote:Nahh I know the 5 is a great pedal..thats why i bought it to replace the Axis... Its just that Ive been playing the axis for sooo long and have gotten so used to it, that the 5000 just feels like it weighs my foot down... It just seems heavy...

I've adjusted the set of 5002s they've had for years at our studio, and no matter what I do to them, they always feel heavy and sluggish compared to my Axis pedals. I think you just have to get used to a heavy feel with those, especially if you're coming from a lightweight pedal.

What I dislike the most is that they feel like they're a mile away from the head, too. I never could get the 5000s to feel good to me.
Even with the cam adjusted to put the beater much closer to the head, it still felt like too much throw- like I was having to step down way too far to get it to hit the head. If I use the normal motion I'm accustomed to, the beater never connects with the head!

Hope you can dial yours in to a zone you're comfortable with.
Jriddim
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:09 pm

m wrote:
Jriddim wrote:Nahh I know the 5 is a great pedal..thats why i bought it to replace the Axis... Its just that Ive been playing the axis for sooo long and have gotten so used to it, that the 5000 just feels like it weighs my foot down... It just seems heavy...

I've adjusted the set of 5002s they've had for years at our studio, and no matter what I do to them, they always feel heavy and sluggish compared to my Axis pedals. I think you just have to get used to a heavy feel with those, especially if you're coming from a lightweight pedal.

What I dislike the most is that they feel like they're a mile away from the head, too. I never could get the 5000s to feel good to me.
Even with the cam adjusted to put the beater much closer to the head, it still felt like too much throw- like I was having to step down way too far to get it to hit the head. If I use the normal motion I'm accustomed to, the beater never connects with the head!

Haa totally man... you said it. I really do need to dial into my zone... There is this very weird bass beat that ill do that really rolls... and thats how i can test the pedal...The five just diddnt connect well unless i really worked it. I think i am going to try the axis a...
I embrace my desire to feel the rhythm, to feel connected. - MJK
SGarrett

Post Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:22 pm

Jriddim wrote:
m wrote:

Haa totally man... you said it. I really do need to dial into my zone... There is this very weird bass beat that ill do that really rolls... and thats how i can test the pedal...The five just diddnt connect well unless i really worked it. I think i am going to try the axis a...

Just asking you another question or two. :)

Are you relying too much on the pedal and not enough on your ankle? What technique do you use?

Like I said in the Spring Tension topic in Gen. Drum Discussion, my spring tension is adjusted so the beater sits 3-4" off of the head with my foot completely relaxed on the footboard...which is opposed to the pedal's fully relaxed position or burying the beater into the head. I keep the cam right in the middle and my heel only hangs off the heel plate by about 1-2". I can play 16th note doubles at 180bpm (I don't need to play faster than that) without a problem.
"If the goal is for me to give up my reality for your reality, then the goal is for me to give up my self for your self--a goal I have to reject."
jaesp13
new
new

Post Mon Sep 03, 2007 2:36 pm

i think there is nothing better in this world than a 9000 with a iron cobra beater, it just gives it the best feeling at least i was looking for.
osiva
beginner
beginner

Post Mon Sep 03, 2007 5:17 pm

I have a 9000 dbl pedal and I love it, it took me a long time to break it in but its a very solid piece of equipment. Its the most heavy duty pedal out there, which is why I chose it over an axis. Im out on the road alot and an axis just scares me with how delicate they are. I also use felt beaters instead of the heavy DW beater. The 9000 is way more adjustable which can either be seen as a blessing or a curse when trying to tune it! I was second guessing it thinking about axis longboards for the first year, now I love my 9000, its really grown on me. As far as a comparison to 5000, I feel like for an extra $100, the 9000 is bullet proof. If your not lugging it around on tour the 5000 will probably last just fine.
Check out my bands! www.myspace.com/mutuallines www.myspace.com/osiva757 let me know what you think!
Rob the Drummer
session drummer
session drummer

Post Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:00 pm

The 5000 is junk in my opinion. I had some, they were clunky and slow. They broke at the joint between the pedal and chain. Terrible. The 9000 is way better than the 5000s. I love my Pearl Elims!
Rata-tata-zzzzzzz......Drums Always!

www.youtube.com/robthedrummer
Jriddim
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:09 pm

yep i just bought an axis a... cant wait to try it!
BLastbeatdetahmetaldrumer
beginner
beginner

Post Tue Sep 04, 2007 12:27 am

Hello Friends lets all have a little talk about bass drum pedals / well i see alot of drummers give up there axis pedals these days like theres an epidemic going on with them its real funny here in the us just one year ago i couldn't get my hands on a pair of axis pedals cause they were always back ordered now i cant go without seeing a forum for drums or in the paper or on craigs list without seeing ads like AXIS PEDALS FOR SALE just not my taste / or axis pedals for sale they just dont give me any power LOL man its almost to the pint of a joke these days. just goes to show you people believe in all the hype but im not saying im not swayed by all the shit talk about drum gear cause i have a pair of just about all the best pedals out there dw 9000 dw 5000 /pearl elims/ ICs /Axis you name it well all these pedals are great just depends on alot of factors
like what style of music do you play / well ill tell ya that the axis pedals work best for fast deathmetal period they can be used for anything but they are now defined for death metal because you have to play fast on them you use what we death metal drummers call the bounce technique
if you dont know what that is youtube it its where you you next to no effort to play fast passages of double bass thats what they were made for speed when you play slower passages it takes a bit to get used to believe me when i tell you you can get as much power from axis pedals as any pedal out there its just that you have to get used to the direct drive it takes time for some poeple it will take maybe a year like it did for me to get used to the feel of the pedals but once you do you can play very fast and very powerful with less effort than chain driven but dont get me wrong i still like the chain driven pedals also i go back and fourth from my ICS to axis just depends how i feel but yea i think alot of drummers are giving up too early on axis pedals before they even get used to them they dont give them a chance but if your not feeling it with a certain pedal then you should by all means get a pedal you like / but my point is dont say that a certain pedal is no good or that it doesn't feel right after you play on it for a month like i said play at least 4 to 5 months and then tell me whats up then you will know if its the pedal for you / to me i dont mind everyone getting rid of there axis pedals now i can pick them up for way cheaper than the store thx to all you drummers out there for selling me your axis pedals :) your the best thx much JK all hehe yea ive seen drummers play 250bpm on elims / ICS/DW5000 and 9000 and ive seen drummers play pacific and gibralter pedals go 250bmp did you guys know that the drummer from Krisiun plays on IC jr pedals lol that guy can burn man on single chain pedals lol and here we are crying and complaining about all these expensive ass pedals that will not make any one us any better LOL practice makes you better doesn't matter what ya got its what you got inside you how much heart do you have thats all that matters do you really love music or just the image of it do you want to be great at drumming or just want to have great things to show off? i think we all need to look inside of ourselves and find out what we really want in life once you do that there isnt any pedal drum or equipment that can stop you from being the best you can be later all keep drumming never give up!
xdoseonex
groove master
groove master

Post Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:31 am

SGarrett wrote:
Jriddim wrote:
m wrote:

i can play 16's at 180 on a dw 5000 no problem. i can also play 220 no problem. but when i get up to faster speeds i relize how unresponsive a chain drive is. the pedal doesnt keep with my foot. my normal motion dosnt make the beater hit the head. i have to really work. which i believe is wrong. i dont like dw 5000's nor do i like iron cobras. i need something smoothe and responsive.

Just asking you another question or two. :)

Are you relying too much on the pedal and not enough on your ankle? What technique do you use?

Like I said in the Spring Tension topic in Gen. Drum Discussion, my spring tension is adjusted so the beater sits 3-4" off of the head with my foot completely relaxed on the footboard...which is opposed to the pedal's fully relaxed position or burying the beater into the head. I keep the cam right in the middle and my heel only hangs off the heel plate by about 1-2". I can play 16th note doubles at 180bpm (I don't need to play faster than that) without a problem.
Proud to endorse TRICK Percussion
Jriddim
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:58 am

BLastbeatdetahmetaldrumer wrote:Hello Friends lets all have a little talk about bass drum pedals / well i see alot of drummers give up there axis pedals these days like theres an epidemic going on with them its real funny here in the us just one year ago i couldn't get my hands on a pair of axis pedals cause they were always back ordered now i cant go without seeing a forum for drums or in the paper or on craigs list without seeing ads like AXIS PEDALS FOR SALE just not my taste / or axis pedals for sale they just dont give me any power LOL man its almost to the pint of a joke these days. just goes to show you people believe in all the hype but im not saying im not swayed by all the shit talk about drum gear cause i have a pair of just about all the best pedals out there dw 9000 dw 5000 /pearl elims/ ICs /Axis you name it well all these pedals are great just depends on alot of factors
like what style of music do you play / well ill tell ya that the axis pedals work best for fast deathmetal period they can be used for anything but they are now defined for death metal because you have to play fast on them you use what we death metal drummers call the bounce technique
if you dont know what that is youtube it its where you you next to no effort to play fast passages of double bass thats what they were made for speed when you play slower passages it takes a bit to get used to believe me when i tell you you can get as much power from axis pedals as any pedal out there its just that you have to get used to the direct drive it takes time for some poeple it will take maybe a year like it did for me to get used to the feel of the pedals but once you do you can play very fast and very powerful with less effort than chain driven but dont get me wrong i still like the chain driven pedals also i go back and fourth from my ICS to axis just depends how i feel but yea i think alot of drummers are giving up too early on axis pedals before they even get used to them they dont give them a chance but if your not feeling it with a certain pedal then you should by all means get a pedal you like / but my point is dont say that a certain pedal is no good or that it doesn't feel right after you play on it for a month like i said play at least 4 to 5 months and then tell me whats up then you will know if its the pedal for you / to me i dont mind everyone getting rid of there axis pedals now i can pick them up for way cheaper than the store thx to all you drummers out there for selling me your axis pedals :) your the best thx much JK all hehe yea ive seen drummers play 250bpm on elims / ICS/DW5000 and 9000 and ive seen drummers play pacific and gibralter pedals go 250bmp did you guys know that the drummer from Krisiun plays on IC jr pedals lol that guy can burn man on single chain pedals lol and here we are crying and complaining about all these expensive ass pedals that will not make any one us any better LOL practice makes you better doesn't matter what ya got its what you got inside you how much heart do you have thats all that matters do you really love music or just the image of it do you want to be great at drumming or just want to have great things to show off? i think we all need to look inside of ourselves and find out what we really want in life once you do that there isnt any pedal drum or equipment that can stop you from being the best you can be later all keep drumming never give up!

Dude I totally agree with you 100%

but geez could you please use periods at the end of your sentences? Your post is so God damn hard to read.
Howepirate

Post Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:03 am

BLastbeatdetahmetaldrumer wrote:Hello Friends lets all have a little talk about bass drum pedals / well i see alot of drummers give up there axis pedals these days like theres an epidemic going on with them its real funny here in the us just one year ago i couldn't get my hands on a pair of axis pedals cause they were always back ordered now i cant go without seeing a forum for drums or in the paper or on craigs list without seeing ads like AXIS PEDALS FOR SALE just not my taste / or axis pedals for sale they just dont give me any power LOL man its almost to the pint of a joke these days. just goes to show you people believe in all the hype but im not saying im not swayed by all the shit talk about drum gear cause i have a pair of just about all the best pedals out there dw 9000 dw 5000 /pearl elims/ ICs /Axis you name it well all these pedals are great just depends on alot of factors

The bounce technique eh? What if your using a 2 year old Emad without much tension on it at all? And are able to hold 240 for about 14 seconds or so without dropping a note?
Martybabes
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Sep 04, 2007 1:58 pm

Howepirate wrote:

The bounce technique eh? What if your using a 2 year old Emad without much tension on it at all? And are able to hold 240 for about 14 seconds or so without dropping a note?

Then you get another head???
Get busy living, or get busy dying
Howepirate

Post Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:21 pm

Martybabes wrote:
Howepirate wrote:

Then you get another head???

Har har har. I'm just disproving his theory, actually, most drummers nowadays rely on rebound for their technique to work superbly. Without that rebound theres adjusting to do and some endurance lost but i've learn to fight with it because i dont have 30 bucks for an EMAD.

Serious props to Evans though.... I am NOT a light hitter :D