Kick Pedal Questions... YOUR OPINIONS

Axis, DW, Pearl, Tama...

Moderator: Moderators

NoDrumsForYou
beginner
beginner

Post Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:57 am

hey guys!

i'm looking into double kick pedals. i'm basically going the money is no problem route.

i was just wondering if any of u had any opinions on what u think is better than the other. (ex: you rate the Iron Cobras over the Eliminators). maybe u have an opinion on the DW 5's and DW 9's. are the 9's really that much better than the 5's and worth the extra cash?? i'd like opinions like that plz

i'm going to play with a bunch of different ones but ya, just wondering your input. let me kno waht u think.

~Bobek
m
groove master
groove master

Post Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:03 am

1. Axis
2. Eliminators

that's my personal choice. It's basically a 'feel' issue for me.
I try every pedal I come across, just in case- but so far I'm sticking with Axis.
Light-weight, fast, accurate. Good customer service.

People say they 'lack power,' but unless you're intentionally trying to punch thru your head I don't understand that particular complaint.

It's going to come down to what feels best to you, though. You're going to see a lot of contradictory opinions here. Hope you find what you like!
zen_drummer
groove master
groove master

Post Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:27 am

m wrote:1. Axis
2. Eliminators

that's my personal choice. It's basically a 'feel' issue for me.
I try every pedal I come across, just in case- but so far I'm sticking with Axis.
Light-weight, fast, accurate. Good customer service.

People say they 'lack power,' but unless you're intentionally trying to punch thru your head I don't understand that particular complaint.

It's going to come down to what feels best to you, though. You're going to see a lot of contradictory opinions here. Hope you find what you like!

I don't understand the "lacks power" comment either... If an Axis pedal lacks power, it's not set-up correctly... period! (The pedal can blow through a two ply if it's set-up right... I've done it!)

The same can be said for the Trick Pedal. Those of you that have tried it and didn't like it didn't take the time to set it up for your particular taste. Because the pedal has infinately adjustable geometry, It can emulate the feel of any pedal you like, and then get dialed in beyond that point so it really is the most adjustable pedal out there. Remember, there is a small range of setting that will feel PERFECT, and a HUGE range of settings that will suck for you. You simplay cannot judge a pedal with this kind of range in a few minutes, or even a few hours.

I remember back when the Axis Pedals first came out in the 80's, there was a lot of people saying they didn't like them. That's normal... they were different. Over time, as endorsers came on board, and top pros started using them, that all changed and they are currently considered to be one of the best. Many people say nothing comes close, but I assure you, that was not always the case.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and make a bold statement... (Based on experience, of course) The time will come when the Trick Pro1V has the distinction of being one of the top products in the industry. This will take a little time, of course, but that day will come. Feel free to disagree, but unless you have one and have spent the time to get it dialed in, you have no point of reference to make a claim otherwise. Simply sitting down at the NAMM show and trying the pedal in the display is not enough time to make a conclusive judgement.
mattdoesrock
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:45 pm

I play Iron Cobra's and they're great. Huge amounts of options in terms of where you put this part, how tight you want that etc. The beaters are great too, you only have the felt option, but I havnt ever played on a plastic beater, so I cant advise there :( They feel great, and play excellently as well.

My pedals cost around 300 pounds - like $600 roughly, but ive seen them cheaper.

Ive never played eliminators sadly, nor Axis, but I hear they are both excellent.
To those who understand, I extend my hand, To the Devil I command, Take me as I am.
pearldrumer
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Feb 22, 2007 7:47 pm

currently i have DW 7000 due to my low budget:( but if you want a really good pedal go with Axis those things are great :) wish i had some. Ive never played a trick Before but those things look real nice too. You should go try em out see which one you like best
grrr.
Flatliner
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:33 pm

can't really reccommend any pedal (haven't played more than a few pedals and non stood out over the others), but if you have big feet you'll probably not like the mapex pedals, at least that's been my experiance.
M.U.S.I.C.- Make up something interesting and complementary- Neil Peart

Without music, Life would be an error- Friedrich Nietzsche
Rockdrummer15
beginner
beginner

Post Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:06 am

Hey everyone...its my first post after signing up and looking at the site for days...I think im hooked already! The only pedals that I know anything about are the Eliminator which I bought when it first came out, and the colored cams kept falling out, so I got rid of it. That may have just been a problem associated with a new product though...Currently I own 2 Iron Cobras and they have been great for the most part. The one I use on my gigging kit broke on me in the middle of a set, which I was not too happy about. But it was used for over a year and a half playing shows every single weekend, and was never put in a case. Still, overall, I believe they are great pedals.
SabianLudwigZildjianDW
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:50 pm

1. DW 5002
2. Iron Cobra
3. Eliminators
4. Axis

i dont really like the Axis for odd reason but its still a great pedal for fast players