Double Bass/Two bass drum question

Axis, DW, Pearl, Tama...

Moderator: Moderators

Mike T
drumming adept
drumming adept
Posts: 134
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2006 12:08 pm
Location: Idaho

Post Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:29 am

drummer4ever1 wrote:
vargasdrumbeast wrote:For those who have used both methods of double bass setup, I would like to know whether You find it easier playing a double bass pedal on one bass drum, or using two bass drums with a single pedal on each drum.

Or if you have like a two drumset setup up like Portnoy with three bass drums two for one set and one for another :shock:

Yeah, so comment away



There are 3 reasons for a double kick pedal over 2 bass kickers.
1. Ease of set up
2. Ease of travel space
3. It is easier to tune 1 kicker and to keep them tuned

2 Kickers used to be the only way to get a double kicker sound but many drummer's used to have trouble keeping them in tune, so therefore the advent and invention of the double kicker pedal came to pass and has proven to be the best innovation in percussion since. Double bass kickers ( drums ) are more for looks and appeal. Granted playing live is for show appeal but keep in mind not everyone plays in a 8000 seat venue and most gig's are in small to non existant stages and space is always a concern for your kit

Your fellow drummer
Drummer4ever1


Sorry but i am going to strongly disagree with you and say all three of the reasons you gave are just pure laziness..

1...what like it is hard to set up a second base drum?

2... if you can lug P.A equipment amps and all sorts of assorted boards and whatnot then another case with a base drum in it is no big deal.

3.. LMAO this one is a smoker of course it is easier to tune one drum and when you use a double pedal GUESS WHAT! it sounds like one drum! It defeats the whole purpose of having two which is to have two different sounding Base drums which you can NOT do with One a double pedal in my book is a gimmick and a poor one at that what do you think people like Louie Bellson ,Ginger Baker,Neil Peart, ETC use two because it is a different sound ...
User avatar
Johnny Cat
session drummer
session drummer
Posts: 529
Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:24 am
Location: Ontario, Canada

Post Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:13 am

Mike T wrote:
drummer4ever1 wrote:
vargasdrumbeast wrote:For those who have used both methods of double bass setup, I would like to know whether You find it easier playing a double bass pedal on one bass drum, or using two bass drums with a single pedal on each drum.

Or if you have like a two drumset setup up like Portnoy with three bass drums two for one set and one for another :shock:

Yeah, so comment away



There are 3 reasons for a double kick pedal over 2 bass kickers.
1. Ease of set up
2. Ease of travel space
3. It is easier to tune 1 kicker and to keep them tuned

2 Kickers used to be the only way to get a double kicker sound but many drummer's used to have trouble keeping them in tune, so therefore the advent and invention of the double kicker pedal came to pass and has proven to be the best innovation in percussion since. Double bass kickers ( drums ) are more for looks and appeal. Granted playing live is for show appeal but keep in mind not everyone plays in a 8000 seat venue and most gig's are in small to non existant stages and space is always a concern for your kit

Your fellow drummer
Drummer4ever1


Sorry but i am going to strongly disagree with you and say all three of the reasons you gave are just pure laziness..

1...what like it is hard to set up a second base drum?

2... if you can lug P.A equipment amps and all sorts of assorted boards and whatnot then another case with a base drum in it is no big deal.

3.. LMAO this one is a smoker of course it is easier to tune one drum and when you use a double pedal GUESS WHAT! it sounds like one drum! It defeats the whole purpose of having two which is to have two different sounding Base drums which you can NOT do with One a double pedal in my book is a gimmick and a poor one at that what do you think people like Louie Bellson ,Ginger Baker,Neil Peart, ETC use two because it is a different sound ...


I really hate to do this, but here's a direct quote from Neil Peart, who you cited as an example, and is FAR from lazy:

"...I wanted to try using a single bass drum with two pedals, to eliminate a big resonating chamber (the other bass drum) which I hardly ever used..."

Taken from Rush's "Roll The Bones" Tour Book from 1991-1992.

And here's another one:

"...I could certainly get along without two bass drums for 99% of my playing..."

And another:

"...I don't use my bass drums for beats or anything like that. My double bass drums are practically for use with fills. I don't like them to be used in rhythms..."

Of course there are now the exceptions to this made in Test For Echo and One Little Victory, but those are just recent, and other than that, what he's said holds true with Rush's music. Funny now how he's just starting to utilize it with playing grooves, but he seems to be doing just fine with a single kick and pedals for that.

He has stuck with the single kick drum set up ever since.

As for Ginger Baker and Louie Bellson, well, two bass drums won out by default with them. They didn't have double pedals back then. As for now, who knows? Maybe they are only using them because they could be traditionalists or creatures of habit.

I do agree with what you're saying to a degree, but to say that the point of having two bass drums is to tune them differently is not necessarily a valid one, and just as self-defeating as what the other guy said that you quoted.
Tama Rockstar Custom 10-Pc
Paiste and Sabian cymbals
Tama "RoadPro" Hardware
Axis "X" Longboard Pedals
Regal Tip "Jazz E" and Promark "Elvin Jones" and "747" Drumsticks
Regal Tip "Ed Thigpen" Brushes
Remo and Evans Drumheads
Mike T
drumming adept
drumming adept
Posts: 134
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2006 12:08 pm
Location: Idaho

Post Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:42 am

Of the three i used as a example i would agree with you Neil used them the least..but the point was and still is you can never have two different sounding base drums from one,in the same respect why not just use one rack tom say 8x12 for everything? because it sounds the same each time you hit it so you use a 8x12,and a 9x13, and a couple of floor toms why to have different sounds.

Now not only two base drums but ideally two different sizes Ginger baker has always maintained using two different sizes and with the bigger on the left not the right...i use two 14x20's simply because i am small and like the height of my toms low. everyone must do what they think but the fact still remains it sounds like one drum..and if you are not using it for more that a occasional fill whats the point? to be cool? nahhh when you add double fills and use the different sounding drums in a solo it just makes you more versitile..to my thinking .
Flatliner
drumming adept
drumming adept
Posts: 296
Joined: Fri Dec 15, 2006 2:51 pm
Location: California

Post Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:28 pm

I prefer the double pedal. A lot less to carry around, I don't like the way a kit changes because of the extra bas drum and a good pedal has plenty of great feel for me. I also think the two bass drum look almost looks a little cliche, my pride just won't let me do it. :)
M.U.S.I.C.- Make up something interesting and complementary- Neil Peart

Without music, Life would be an error- Friedrich Nietzsche
twisteddrummer
beginner
beginner
Posts: 32
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:11 pm
Location: Cary NC

Post Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:51 pm

I currently use a double pedal basicly because we can haul all the bands gear in one truck that way. It took some adjustment, but I've seen people play rolls on a single kick with a double pedal, so I'm not going to blame my speed on my pedals. I also don't use triggers any more. Trying to eliminate false triggers on a single kick is a bitch if you play a lot of fast double bass.
DW Drums& Pedals
Zidljian Cymbals
Roland V-drums
Twisted Tower Dire &Jon Fritz band
User avatar
CASCINAIDRUMS
drumming adept
drumming adept
Posts: 100
Joined: Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:46 am
Location: Los Gatos

Post Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:10 pm

Shalaq wrote:I play with a twin pedal and never felt something like a kickback. Do you get a kickback on your snare/toms when you play a single stroke roll? I have it only when I play 16 inch drums or larger. But then again, you muffle your kicks don't you? That's limiting resonance-vibrating- kickback.
For me using two kick drums is like using two snare drums- one on each hand.
I love drummers that have two snare drums.It sounds killer If you know what I mean. Try it some time the sound is insane plus it messes with other drummers trying to copy you live.In the studio it's a different story you can punch it in and out.
Carl Palmer uses one snare but it sounds like 10 different drums
but he's more pro then a lot of drummers
User avatar
CASCINAIDRUMS
drumming adept
drumming adept
Posts: 100
Joined: Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:46 am
Location: Los Gatos

Post Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:27 pm

Mike T wrote:
drummer4ever1 wrote:
vargasdrumbeast wrote:For those who have used both methods of double bass setup, I would like to know whether You find it easier playing a double bass pedal on one bass drum, or using two bass drums with a single pedal on each drum.

Or if you have like a two drumset setup up like Portnoy with three bass drums two for one set and one for another :shock:

Yeah, so comment away



There are 3 reasons for a double kick pedal over 2 bass kickers.
1. Ease of set up
2. Ease of travel space
3. It is easier to tune 1 kicker and to keep them tuned

2 Kickers used to be the only way to get a double kicker sound but many drummer's used to have trouble keeping them in tune, so therefore the advent and invention of the double kicker pedal came to pass and has proven to be the best innovation in percussion since. Double bass kickers ( drums ) are more for looks and appeal. Granted playing live is for show appeal but keep in mind not everyone plays in a 8000 seat venue and most gig's are in small to non existant stages and space is always a concern for your kit

Your fellow drummer
Drummer4ever1


Sorry but i am going to strongly disagree with you and say all three of the reasons you gave are just pure laziness..

1...what like it is hard to set up a second base drum?

2... if you can lug P.A equipment amps and all sorts of assorted boards and whatnot then another case with a base drum in it is no big deal.

3.. LMAO this one is a smoker of course it is easier to tune one drum and when you use a double pedal GUESS WHAT! it sounds like one drum! It defeats the whole purpose of having two which is to have two different sounding Base drums which you can NOT do with One a double pedal in my book is a gimmick and a poor one at that what do you think people like Louie Bellson ,Ginger Baker,Neil Peart, ETC use two because it is a different sound ...

I agree
Plus you can have two different bass drum sounds without depending on the soundman puching in effects for each beat
User avatar
Johnny Cat
session drummer
session drummer
Posts: 529
Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:24 am
Location: Ontario, Canada

Post Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:07 pm

Mike T wrote:Of the three i used as a example i would agree with you Neil used them the least..but the point was and still is you can never have two different sounding base drums from one,in the same respect why not just use one rack tom say 8x12 for everything? because it sounds the same each time you hit it so you use a 8x12,and a 9x13, and a couple of floor toms why to have different sounds.

Now not only two base drums but ideally two different sizes Ginger baker has always maintained using two different sizes and with the bigger on the left not the right...i use two 14x20's simply because i am small and like the height of my toms low. everyone must do what they think but the fact still remains it sounds like one drum..and if you are not using it for more that a occasional fill whats the point? to be cool? nahhh when you add double fills and use the different sounding drums in a solo it just makes you more versitile..to my thinking .


That's fine. The problem I had with your statement is you said it defeats the purpose of having two bass drums, which is to tune them differently. Maybe if you reworded that to say it defeats ONE purpose, not THE purpose. That's what bothered me about it. The only point of having two is not just to tune them differently.
Tama Rockstar Custom 10-Pc
Paiste and Sabian cymbals
Tama "RoadPro" Hardware
Axis "X" Longboard Pedals
Regal Tip "Jazz E" and Promark "Elvin Jones" and "747" Drumsticks
Regal Tip "Ed Thigpen" Brushes
Remo and Evans Drumheads
User avatar
Shalaq
session drummer
session drummer
Posts: 674
Joined: Sun Jul 30, 2006 3:24 am
Location: Poland

Post Thu Feb 08, 2007 2:04 am

CASCINAIDRUMS wrote:
Shalaq wrote:I play with a twin pedal and never felt something like a kickback. Do you get a kickback on your snare/toms when you play a single stroke roll? I have it only when I play 16 inch drums or larger. But then again, you muffle your kicks don't you? That's limiting resonance-vibrating- kickback.
For me using two kick drums is like using two snare drums- one on each hand.
I love drummers that have two snare drums.It sounds killer If you know what I mean. Try it some time the sound is insane plus it messes with other drummers trying to copy you live.In the studio it's a different story you can punch it in and out.
Carl Palmer uses one snare but it sounds like 10 different drums
but he's more pro then a lot of drummers

I know it's cool, but I thought of having two exact snares tuned exactluy the same, so you won't have the kickback etc :)
Mapex, Istanbul Agop, Attack, Vater/O4D.
I want an endorsement :)
Quick link to the search engine:
http://www.drumsmylife.com/search.php
DaveDWdrums
beginner
beginner
Posts: 37
Joined: Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:48 am

Post Thu Feb 08, 2007 4:11 pm

Having 2 bass drums is a pain in my opinion. You have to tune them evenly (I hate tuning), It adds a lot of bulk to your set up, it's more of a pain to set up and tear down, and a few other things.

Before I got my new double bass pedal, I would say I understand why people had two bass drums. (the slave pedal always seemed to have a bit of lag) Now, the only reason really to have it is the BLING factor (aka bragging rights) that you have a double bass drum kit.

Happy Drumming!
Dave
fullmetaldrummer87
drumming adept
drumming adept
Posts: 277
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:28 pm
Location: MI

Post Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:41 pm

The idea of two bass drums is great. I've played on double bass kits before and it's a different feel. I currently have only 1 kick on my kit iwth a Iron Cobra double. I find that there is a difference in sound where the beaters strike the head.

Ideally a double pedal is great if you are forced to play on a single kick setup, or you dont have room for two kicks.

I think having two kicks is better.
Image
lousypadrummer
drumming adept
drumming adept
Posts: 64
Joined: Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:34 am
Location: Montgomery Pennsylvania

Post Sun Apr 01, 2007 8:48 pm

I've been using an Iron Cobra double pedal for some time now. Recently we did a gig with another band their drummer had 2 bass drums, and I really liked the feel.
OnusPro
drumming adept
drumming adept
Posts: 94
Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:07 pm
Location: Spooky in FL

Post Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:38 pm

My question is why plunk down a load of cash for a 2nd kick when you won't use it??? That's a lot of money to pay just for looks, not to mention having to haul it around. I'm referring to the guys who have 2 kicks but the second is for "looks" but they use a double pedal.
Image
addrummer84
new
new
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:39 am

Post Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:03 am

I wish i had enough room in my car to fit a second bass drum, but i feel like my iron cobra powerglide has a great response and feel to them. alot of people say it feels like your left foot isnt hitting anything, but i have yet to experience that problem with this pedal. :twisted:
Conor
drumming adept
drumming adept
Posts: 61
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:13 am

Post Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:37 am

a lot of drummers prefer the double bass drum set up because it is suppost to be faster, however, it depends on what type of venues you are goin to play at. most of the local venues that i have played at do not have a second mic for your second kick, so i personally prefer the double bass pedal. but if your playing at larger venues, go for it!! double bass sets kick!!
Pearl, Zildjian, Promark, Paiste