Double Bass/Two bass drum question

Axis, DW, Pearl, Tama...

Moderator: Moderators

lousypadrummer
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:46 am

I use a Tama Iron Cobra double pedal. We recently did a show with another band and I used another guys kit, which was two bass drums. I actually really liked the feel. I'm considering getting another bass drum. But that would mean expanding my rack to accomodate it.
Bigredfndz
beginner
beginner

Post Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:49 am

lousypadrummer wrote:I use a Tama Iron Cobra double pedal. We recently did a show with another band and I used another guys kit, which was two bass drums. I actually really liked the feel. I'm considering getting another bass drum. But that would mean expanding my rack to accomodate it.
I have a double bass setup. Can you maybe give me a link to a rack for a double bass drum, I know the Gibraltar rack but it's so expensive, are there any others?
barrycuda
new
new

Post Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:32 am

I prefer single bass drum with double pedal. it's easier all the way around for traveling, setting up and gigging in places that are smaller than your bathroom. in NYC you can barely get a 4 piece kit up,let alone 2 bass drums. I been there and it sucks.
besides, you can surprise those who think you are not a dbl bass player

the less aggrevation the better. NOW......

IF you are speaking about a touring act with a budget, well then yes, visually 2 bass drums is the way to go, but for the majority who can not manage to have 3 bass drums or alex van halen with 8 bass drums ( 4 sets of 2 ) it's not practical, IMHO.....
Take the wisdom of a very intellegent man.

--YOU CAN DO IT !!!--

-Tony little (and his gazelle)
MrMcFetus
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:41 am

Because of the music I mostly play, I don't need a double pedel OR two bass drums. And the only double pedel lick I really know, I can do with one foot (dud duddud crack dud) You guys know the one I'm talking about, the easy crap =]
I've just started listening to Lamb of God though, and wouldn't mind a double pedel
Tama.
Zildjian.
Vic Firth.
Remo.

92% of teens switch to rap. If you're in the 8% that don't, spread the word!
drummer4ever1
new
new

Post Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:55 am

vargasdrumbeast wrote:For those who have used both methods of double bass setup, I would like to know whether You find it easier playing a double bass pedal on one bass drum, or using two bass drums with a single pedal on each drum.

Or if you have like a two drumset setup up like Portnoy with three bass drums two for one set and one for another :shock:

Yeah, so comment away

There are 3 reasons for a double kick pedal over 2 bass kickers.
1. Ease of set up
2. Ease of travel space
3. It is easier to tune 1 kicker and to keep them tuned

2 Kickers used to be the only way to get a double kicker sound but many drummer's used to have trouble keeping them in tune, so therefore the advent and invention of the double kicker pedal came to pass and has proven to be the best innovation in percussion since. Double bass kickers ( drums ) are more for looks and appeal. Granted playing live is for show appeal but keep in mind not everyone plays in a 8000 seat venue and most gig's are in small to non existant stages and space is always a concern for your kit

Your fellow drummer
Drummer4ever1
Love, Laugh and play Music
drummer4ever1
new
new

Post Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:58 am

Bigredfndz wrote:
lousypadrummer wrote:I use a Tama Iron Cobra double pedal. We recently did a show with another band and I used another guys kit, which was two bass drums. I actually really liked the feel. I'm considering getting another bass drum. But that would mean expanding my rack to accomodate it.
I have a double bass setup. Can you maybe give me a link to a rack for a double bass drum, I know the Gibraltar rack but it's so expensive, are there any others?

Try Pearl hardware

Drummer4ever1
Love, Laugh and play Music
likelight2flies
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:01 am

wow a topic i can actually comment on!
i've only been playing drums for a couple years now but i've used a double pedal since the beginning. one day i went to a music store and played a set with 2 kicks and damn near fell in love. it was so much smoother then a twin pedal. i dont have much space to to fit 2 bass drums right now or i would probably go that route. right now i use a tama iron cobra flexiglide. no matter how many times i adjust the settings on it i cant seem to get that left pedal to feel like the right one. its frustrating as hell. maybe im doing something wrong though im still a big newb to the game =)
screamkevin

Post Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:25 am

SteveSavage wrote:screamkevin... i would deff notice you not using your other bass drum, maybe its just me but when ever i go see a band play i watch the bass drum head all the time to see the hits, its usually hard to hear the bass drum at bad venues with bad sound systems, and it gets all muffled with the bass guitar. i watch the lights reflect off the rez head, real easy to see.. maybe i'm the only one who does this??? but i would notice. not that it would matter, if that works better for you thats the way to go. and having a spare kick drum there waiting is sweet!

~SS

Steve,

You're a drummer, so of course you'd notice, ROTFL!!! :lol: I always watch the drummer when I go to a show, too. My comments were that the general public wouldn't know. I shoulda typed it that way, my bad.
Me, My Story, and Pics Of My Drums:
http://www.saludacymbals.com/c/ksiegel.html
Endorsing Saluda Cymbals since 2006!
Howie is my homie. Word.
zerodogma
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:36 am

Interesting... I wouldn't have guessed that so many of you (us) would advocate 2 bass drums. I have become very frustrated with my double pedal (on a single 22") for the very reason stated here -- the slave pedal feels nothing like the main pedal... I notice a lot of lag, slap-back, and sound difference. As good as my Pearl Eliminators are (they are very good pedals), I am seriously thinking of ebaying them and buying a Trick single pedal. The cool thing is, if I ever want to go back to a double pedal, I could either get another single pedal and bass drum or buy the Trick expansion slave.
Anyone here with some experience using the Trick double pedal?
Stand back! I have a COWBELL... and I am not afraid to use it.........
Saluda Cymbals - B20 never sounded so good...
screamkevin

Post Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:04 am

zerodogma wrote:Anyone here with some experience using the Trick double pedal?

Talk to Zen_Drummer. Mike is a Trick guy, playing their kits and pedals. He knows a lot about the equipment, and although I don't know if he's using the Trick double pedal, he can sure tell you about them! :D
Me, My Story, and Pics Of My Drums:
http://www.saludacymbals.com/c/ksiegel.html
Endorsing Saluda Cymbals since 2006!
Howie is my homie. Word.
vargasdrumbeast
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:57 pm

Johnny Cat wrote:
vargasdrumbeast wrote:Thanks for the insights guys

Anyone have three bass drums?

Just throwing that out there :twisted:

As a matter of fact I do! :P

But the third is mounted with two stands and used as a gong bass drum, which I love! I can shake the walls with that fucker. :D

Whoa, nice man

I didnt think this topic would get to be so popular

I can see the pros and cons to having multiple bass drums, and I can see the same for a single bass drum

Thanks for all the information guys! :D
Bigredfndz
beginner
beginner

Post Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:14 pm

I saw Dave Lombardo and he explained that with two bass drums you don't get the kick back as if you were using double bass pedals on one bass drum.
vargasdrumbeast
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:17 pm

interesting

Ive got to try that sometime, its probably true though, I could definately go without the kickback
Shalaq
session drummer
session drummer

Post Sat Feb 03, 2007 2:48 pm

I play with a twin pedal and never felt something like a kickback. Do you get a kickback on your snare/toms when you play a single stroke roll? I have it only when I play 16 inch drums or larger. But then again, you muffle your kicks don't you? That's limiting resonance-vibrating- kickback.
For me using two kick drums is like using two snare drums- one on each hand.
Mapex, Istanbul Agop, Attack, Vater/O4D.
I want an endorsement :)
Quick link to the search engine:
http://www.drumsmylife.com/search.php
Mikkey
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:58 am

The tuning "problem" (if you can call it that) of having two bass drums can open a lot of opportunities. For instance, I tune the left drum slightly lower than the right. For the explosion beats this sounds amazing. (Or at least I think so.) Another problem I have with double bass pedals is that friggin' bar the connects the left to the beaters. It feels heavier on the left than the right. So when I go really fast it feels odd and there is this lag between the two. Not usually a problem mind you, but annoyning as hell to me.