Double Bass/Two bass drum question

Axis, DW, Pearl, Tama...

Moderator: Moderators

vargasdrumbeast
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Feb 01, 2007 3:59 pm

For those who have used both methods of double bass setup, I would like to know whether You find it easier playing a double bass pedal on one bass drum, or using two bass drums with a single pedal on each drum.

Or if you have like a two drumset setup up like Portnoy with three bass drums two for one set and one for another :shock:

Yeah, so comment away
Rockaflodge
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:32 pm

I have never got to play a real double bass setup, I hope one day I have the chance, where I come from you dont see alot of double bass setups.
I Play Hard! I play Loud! I play Pearl!
Johnny Cat
session drummer
session drummer

Post Thu Feb 01, 2007 6:09 pm

Two bass drums for me all the way.

A double bass pedal doesn't give me as accurate a feel. It doesn't feel solid, just feels like my left foot is not hitting anything, and I have gone through many different ones to get one that feels "right". None of them did. It was the nature of the beast.

Plus, with two kicks you can tune them to different pitches if you're into that sort of thing.
Tama Rockstar Custom 10-Pc
Paiste and Sabian cymbals
Tama "RoadPro" Hardware
Axis "X" Longboard Pedals
Regal Tip "Jazz E" and Promark "Elvin Jones" and "747" Drumsticks
Regal Tip "Ed Thigpen" Brushes
Remo and Evans Drumheads
screamkevin

Post Thu Feb 01, 2007 6:40 pm

I originally bought my Tama Iron Cobra double pedal because I didn't want to haul around 2 kick drums. I only had a 6 piece kit, and the double pedal was quite handy. Then I joined my current band, Scream, which is a tribute to 80's metal. The single kick drum just didn't look right, so I bought a second kick, but still use the double pedal.

As Johnny Cat said, you can tune to two different tones if you want using single pedals (I use a pair of 16" floor toms, one high and one low) if you're into that kind of thing.

But the tradeoff for me is that I'm used to my double pedal, and I don't have to go through the absolute hell of trying to tune two kick drums identically. That is a major mofo, and (to me) not worth the hassle. My left kick is for looks, plus if I break a head on the right kick, I can just swap 'em out. (Plus, nobody knows that I'm not using two single pedals. :wink: )

Just my .02.
Me, My Story, and Pics Of My Drums:
http://www.saludacymbals.com/c/ksiegel.html
Endorsing Saluda Cymbals since 2006!
Howie is my homie. Word.
vargasdrumbeast
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:28 pm

Thanks for the insights guys

Anyone have three bass drums?

Just throwing that out there :twisted:
drumjo7182
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:32 pm

you can get more speed and head response with 2 bass drums, but the hi-hat can get inconvinient to use, so I would only recomend 2 drums if you intend on using a lot of double bass
pooJken
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:15 am

Two bass drums!!

The sound of your drums het bigger since you have two bass mics, and they pick up orther sounds too

besides, if you tuned them (almost) equally you can punt one more right and one more left (with PAN) so you get a wider sound

And ofcourse it looks cool on stage!!

the only thing is, with a Twin Pedal
You can take it with you if you can't play on your kit
Johnny Cat
session drummer
session drummer

Post Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:18 am

vargasdrumbeast wrote:Thanks for the insights guys

Anyone have three bass drums?

Just throwing that out there :twisted:

As a matter of fact I do! :P

But the third is mounted with two stands and used as a gong bass drum, which I love! I can shake the walls with that fucker. :D
Tama "RoadPro" Hardware
Remo and Evans Drumheads
metal drummer 27
beginner
beginner

Post Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:40 am

i would love to have the whole three bass drum thing. i basically idolise mike portnoy.
as far as the double bass thing. i use both...i have a two bass drum set at home for practise use and i use a one bass drum kit for gigs because i dont have the right transportation to haul a 10 piece kit around. i dont mind using the double pedals or the two singles but i find that i can kick faster on the two bass drums and i get a much fuller sound.. but getting perfectly equal sound out of the two bass drums is what i find hard and it is what i like in using the double pedals. you always get an equal sound.
dave lynch
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:56 am

Once again it's simple...Two kicks tuned nice will always feel better..I wish I could always have two kicks but I only have one at this point...Get cozy with your double pedal and snair possition if you have only one kick, then set the rest of your scene around that..Simple !!!
Not into all that competetive who's better crap..Just love to have fun when I drum..!! <|:O)

www.myspace.com/70275304
SteveSavage
new
new

Post Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:26 am

i use 2 bass drums, i agree with everyone. the speed/sound is better with 2 drums, with a dub pedl, the second hit never sounds the same as it would with 2 kicks. i did have a double pedl so i could brake my git into a 5pc for small gigs, but now i just say f-it.. i got a van, i got a 10pc kit, let the venue deal with it! :lol: the stuff i play now doesn't call for much double bass, but i love the look, so i deal with it...

screamkevin... i would deff notice you not using your other bass drum, maybe its just me but when ever i go see a band play i watch the bass drum head all the time to see the hits, its usually hard to hear the bass drum at bad venues with bad sound systems, and it gets all muffled with the bass guitar. i watch the lights reflect off the rez head, real easy to see.. maybe i'm the only one who does this??? but i would notice. not that it would matter, if that works better for you thats the way to go. and having a spare kick drum there waiting is sweet!

~SS
Mikkey
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Feb 02, 2007 2:35 am

Hell yeah. Two bass drums all the way! I don't like the sound of a double kick pedal and keep in mind that the beaters don't hit the same place on the drum so it does sound different. It's just better...granted it is alot more to haul around though.
sickness
beginner
beginner

Post Fri Feb 02, 2007 2:48 am

I like double pedals for the ease of set up, and the fact that most of the guys I listen to use the double pedal system. as for using two bass drums, i can actually get faster on the double pedal. I have been listening to Bury Your Dead alot lately and their drummer uses a double pedal. He's super fast on it, and really doesn't let up on it at all. I've been getting the same results on my kit. One thing that hasn't been addressed is bass drum size. If your playing on a 24' kick then the pedal has alot further of a distance to travel, if it's a 22' then you can go faster withh a double pedal. Just a thought.
xrock79
new
new

Post Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:21 am

there are only 2 real differences between usin a double pedal and two bass drums: if ur usin a double pedal and ur style of music is heavy rock or speed metal, u run into whats called "slave lag". this happens because the energy from your left pedal (or slave pedal) has to travel through the the connecting rod before actually responding to the beater. u usually only notice a small delay if ur doin some serious double action or tryin to do 16ths with ur kick in 4/4 time. Usin another bass drum all together eliminates this lag because the transfer of energy is instantanious. the second real difereace is asthetic purposes; how u want ur kit to look on stage.
Johnny Cat
session drummer
session drummer

Post Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:15 am

xrock79 wrote:there are only 2 real differences between usin a double pedal and two bass drums: if ur usin a double pedal and ur style of music is heavy rock or speed metal, u run into whats called "slave lag". this happens because the energy from your left pedal (or slave pedal) has to travel through the the connecting rod before actually responding to the beater. u usually only notice a small delay if ur doin some serious double action or tryin to do 16ths with ur kick in 4/4 time. Usin another bass drum all together eliminates this lag because the transfer of energy is instantanious. the second real difereace is asthetic purposes; how u want ur kit to look on stage.

That's exactly what I was talking about with not getting an accurate feel on the double pedal and the slave pedal feeling like it's not hitting anything. Cheers.
Tama "RoadPro" Hardware
Remo and Evans Drumheads