This Is Killing Me

Axis, DW, Pearl, Tama...

Moderator: Moderators

TheYardstick
groove master
groove master

Post Sat May 30, 2009 10:12 pm

Just last night my right pedal felt like something happened to it, or it might have been the head, I have absolutely no idea.

The sound produced is completely fine, but I have to put so much more force into the pedal to make it make contact with the head than I should. It's incredibly affecting my playing. Some songs were a cakewalk, but now they're difficult to pull off because the pedal, or head, is yielding next to no rebound. I think it is most likely the pedal because it's sort of "freezing" at one point.

What solutions are there to this problem? Tonight was probably one of the worst drumming nights I've had in a long run.
"I think we ought to read only the kind of books that wound and stab us. If the book we are reading doesn't wake us up with a blow on the head, what are we reading it for?"-Franz Kafka

My Last.fm
Brother_Bong
groove master
groove master

Post Sun May 31, 2009 7:21 am

Need more info dude.....
MEDICINE MAN AZ Endorsed, TRICK PEDALS, ZILDJIAN, SABIAN, SALUDA, SUPERNATURALS, ASAPH, WUHAN, SILVERFOX, BUD LIGHT

TheYardstick
groove master
groove master

Post Sun May 31, 2009 9:49 am

Pedals are DW5000s adjusted to about a 2.5 out of 4 setting. The heads are tuned pretty tight, there's very little slack when I push in the center. The beaters are about 5-6 inches from the head. The right one makes a creaking noise when it reaches a certain point. When it hits the skin, it feels like it just hits there and doesn't come back very quickly, the most basic way I could describe this feeling is dead.
"I think we ought to read only the kind of books that wound and stab us. If the book we are reading doesn't wake us up with a blow on the head, what are we reading it for?"-Franz Kafka

My Last.fm
wmpdrummer13
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:40 am

Did the bass drum just slide off of the pedal a little bit or is this happening everytime you have played since then?

Tama Rockstar Custom, Zildjian A Customs and A series cymbals, Paiste, Sabian, Wuhan, Promark Japanese Oak, Remo and Evans Heads, DW hardware, Pearl Icon Rack, DW 8002 pedals
vincemie
session drummer
session drummer

Post Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:59 am

if its a double pedal, check to see if the cross bar connecting the pedals is worn out or frayed at the linkage to each pedal, sometimes the linkage get worn out and do not support the pedal fully, this is what happened to my dw 5000's
TheYardstick
groove master
groove master

Post Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:32 pm

I have two bass drums, the pedals are anchored just fine to the drums. The drums are not moving away from me.

My Last.fm
Empyrean Drums
groove master
groove master

Post Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:36 pm

Have you tried swapping the pedals? That would at least tell you if its the pedal or the drum that's the problem.
Verify our range to target, one ping only…
TheYardstick
groove master
groove master

Post Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:30 pm

Yeah, I tried swapping them since a lot of what I've been practicing is heavy on the right foot, but it feels pretty much the same way on the left foot, albeit more bearable. I think it's mainly a pedal issue, even though I can feel the head play into it somewhat.

My Last.fm
wmpdrummer13
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:38 am

Might wanna check the tension on the springs... Might need new springs if you are not getting good rebound, also if you are getting some squeaking use some household oil and lube up every moving part on the pedal.

Tama Rockstar Custom, Zildjian A Customs and A series cymbals, Paiste, Sabian, Wuhan, Promark Japanese Oak, Remo and Evans Heads, DW hardware, Pearl Icon Rack, DW 8002 pedals
Alan_
groove master
groove master

Post Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:43 am

could it be the bearings, maybe?
notefreak
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:17 am

Any loose screws on the pedal?
stump

Post Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:28 pm

If it were me i would take the pedal and do a full work over. Tighten screws, lube all moving parts and adjust springs and tension settings. If that does not work I would contact DW and speak with a tech. P.O.Y!
It's so important to make best friends in life!

Tama,PDP and Medicine Man Drums, Zildjian, Remo, Roc-n-Soc, DW and Pro-mark.

Brother_Bong
groove master
groove master

Post Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:35 am

Think about using dry graphite as a lubricant also. Tends to be less messy and doesn't collect dust and debris as much.
MEDICINE MAN AZ Endorsed, TRICK PEDALS, ZILDJIAN, SABIAN, SALUDA, SUPERNATURALS, ASAPH, WUHAN, SILVERFOX, BUD LIGHT