single chain vs double chain vs direct drive?

Axis, DW, Pearl, Tama...

Moderator: Moderators

v0zon
new
new

Post Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:45 pm

personally i like direct drives, and couldnt imagine why some would prefer either single or double chain or direct, but some do... what about you guys?
v0zon plays:

lol drums cymbals and stick TBA
SGarrett

Post Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:09 am

How about because everyone's different? ;)

Personally, I don't like the feel of direct drive pedals. A double-chain is more than stationary and fast enough for me. :)
"If the goal is for me to give up my reality for your reality, then the goal is for me to give up my self for your self--a goal I have to reject."
metldrummer2112
groove master
groove master

Post Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:13 am

SGarrett wrote:How about because everyone's different? ;)

Personally, I don't like the feel of direct drive pedals. A double-chain is more than stationary and fast enough for me. :)

Heretic! :evil:
"Slaughter and Salvation, we bore two irreconcilable focuses."

"We dare speak the word, King Of Those Who Know."
Devindrummer12
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:45 am

I had never played a Direct-drive before I got these Gibraltar Intruder's, but I will never go back. My other pedals I love weren't chains though, I used Pearl Elims with Belt drives.
Drumosaurus
groove master
groove master

Post Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:34 pm

double chain here, single chains feel kinda flimsy like there's too much slack in the chain. ive never tried a direct drive before tho.
R.I.P. Jimmy "the Rev" Sullivan. You will be missed.
audiotech
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:14 am

I love the feel and responsiveness of the Trick Pro1 pedals, but as I type this I don't one. What I am using are the Iron Cobra Power Glide double pedal, Pearl Eliminator chain and the Yamaha chain/belt pedal. Of the three, I'm rely liking the Yamaha with the belt drive. It's smooth, responds great and hits hard, when you want it to. I also have an older Tama single chain pedal I use on my vintage Pearl kit which as stated above seems a bit flimsy and noisy.

Dennis
Martin
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:37 am

I used a Pearl eliminator double pedal and it had the belt drive, then I switched to a single pedal and got the Elim. with the double chain. I can't tell any difference whatsoever between them lol. I also have a cobra with double chain, so I guess I prefer that.
The one time I tried a direct drive, it was the Gibraltar one. For one it looked massive lol, and I couldnt get used to the feel. Mind you that was just 15min in the store, im sure id get used to it.
Pearl Session Custom Maple Vintage Fade 5 piece
Cymbals: All Sabian except 18" Wuhan and 13" Zildjian KZ hi hats
12" APX splash, 13" AAX studio crash, 15" AAX Studio crash, 16"
AAX dark crash, 16" APX crash, 17" AAXplosion crash, 22" Ride
SGarrett

Post Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:40 am

Aside from lateral stability, the main difference between a belt and a chain is that the belt will stretch and need to be replaced.
"If the goal is for me to give up my reality for your reality, then the goal is for me to give up my self for your self--a goal I have to reject."
Rob Crisp
groove master
groove master

Post Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:47 am

Have had a belt drive, currently use a double chain and a single chain. I actually use the single chain more than the double as the single chain is a single pedal and double chain a double pedal... still with me?

I have no problems with the single chain, I press it, it moves lol!

Having said that I've played on Zen's Tricks and they we're smooooth.
DrumsPlus
groove master
groove master

Post Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:47 am

I have an Direct drive single pedal, single chain double, and single chain singles. Personally I like my single chains better than my direct drives. I have played and owned a few double chains and liked them just the same, so it's no big deal either way.

For clarity, I have an Axis on my smaller kit and 2 older single chain DW 7000 on my bigger kit (double base). I also have a spare Pearl double pedal that is a back up and it's also a single chain. All are very dependable.