Any single pedal players here......

Axis, DW, Pearl, Tama...

Moderator: Moderators

Alan_
groove master
groove master

Post Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:49 am

Howepirate wrote:Mkay, I've been playing on my Axis for about a year now. I can do single foot single-strokes up to around 230 BPM (blasting of course). I can do quick 3 stroke rolls like JoJo Mayer (not exactly as fast but fairly close) and I can do it all with my left foot too.

so when you say "blasting at 230 bpm" you're talking about 8th notes at that speed, correct?
MrPowerRide
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:26 am

Devindrummer12 wrote:I have a "sort of" helpful heel-toe video in lessons. I can play many different double bass rhythms with one foot and I'll try to post a video on some of them. Things Like i do a lot of practicing at 300 bpm and I start with blasting with my right, and it took at long time to get there, then I'll play single pedal patterns like 8th-16th16th on the bass with my right on 1 and 3 and snare on 2 and 4. I then switch and do the same with my left. Just take it slow and develop it, I know you're goign to hear that a lot, but it's true! The biggest thing that helped me were complicated jazz patterns and blast beats to be honest, but find what works for you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDRgxJqE ... re=related

3:40 to 4:05 is about as fast as i'd like to go ...i'm not sure im going to buy a 1" piece of wood or steel to mount underneath my bass pedal.
Paiste Cymbals and Pearl Drums
SGarrett

Post Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:48 am

There seems to be a huge lack of videos that actually explain what CR is. I think I'm going to have to make one. I think Derrick Pope's video is the only one that explains it correctly, aside from Steve Smith's video but he calls it Heel/Toe because it came out before Heel/Toe became a separate technique.
"If the goal is for me to give up my reality for your reality, then the goal is for me to give up my self for your self--a goal I have to reject."
MrPowerRide
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:46 pm

i have seen those videos, however i was never able to pull it off cause it seems like it can only be done with just socks on,
and i am not comfortable playing with just socks.
Alan_
groove master
groove master

Post Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:51 pm

with constant release, it shouldn't really matter whether or not you're wearing shoes, as you're not using the friction of the shoe to "catch" the footboard as is the case with some other methods.
MrPowerRide
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:04 pm

ill have to try again at practice thursday night, but when i have shoes on i cant seem to get the heel to cause the batter to go down, idk i'll have to check into it again, but either way it looks like i need a new pedal.
Alan_
groove master
groove master

Post Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:11 pm

well, with constant release, the heel isn't actually moving the footboard. it's just "releasing" the tension from the ankle.
kplante069
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:08 pm

I play single bass. I found in the past when I has 2 basses that I lost a lot of the feeling I'm able to get with a single. I just think it ties in better with what I like to play. I'm not a blast beat guy so to me the stuff I want to play is more impresive with a single. To be honest I find the stiff Nikko does with a single far more impressive than any blast beat I've heard. To me there's more feeling in it. Again thet's to me, my opinion, let's not start a bashing thread about how great blastbeats are. K?
Howepirate

Post Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:20 pm

Alan_ wrote:
Howepirate wrote:Mkay, I've been playing on my Axis for about a year now. I can do single foot single-strokes up to around 230 BPM (blasting of course). I can do quick 3 stroke rolls like JoJo Mayer (not exactly as fast but fairly close) and I can do it all with my left foot too.

so when you say "blasting at 230 bpm" you're talking about 8th notes at that speed, correct?

Yes, 8th note singles on my right hand coincide with my right foot. IDK how fast I can go in 16th's.