Any single pedal players here......

Axis, DW, Pearl, Tama...

Moderator: Moderators

MrPowerRide
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:34 pm

Just a bit of background on the reasoning for this post, im 38, the 80s were as influential on my drumming style as vinnie paul is to current double bass players. However, the more i listen to the likes of Nicko and Vinny Appice, the more and more
i wanna stick with a single pedal. I dont play much double bass as it is, except for the ending of songs where i break into a mike portnoy sixtuplets attack (which really is easy and makes you sound a lot better than you really are in my opinion) anyways, i like listening to Nicko play double bass patterns with one foot. I want to get myself to that point. Cause the speed of the pattern he plays is about as fast i like anyways. I can do the really fast double bass beats, but i have to work my way up to it and i really dont find it useful for my style. I'm more of a nicko,vinny a, neil peart type player.

So i guess this is a two part post.....if you are a single player that can do double bass beats with one,,,what did you do to practice that...and secondly what pedal you got? (my guess is im going to hear a lot of "trick" players coming out for this one) plus people setting the tension pretty high....i still love that video of the guy who has Axis pedals, and put a 1" wood block underneath the base of the footpedal and can play double bass with one foot....NOW thats innovation :)
Paiste Cymbals and Pearl Drums
metldrummer2112
groove master
groove master

Post Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:57 pm

I could be wrong, but I've seen Appice with a double bass kit in the book for The Beast Of Dio album. I can check later.
"Slaughter and Salvation, we bore two irreconcilable focuses."

"We dare speak the word, King Of Those Who Know."
MrPowerRide
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:01 pm

metldrummer2112 wrote:I could be wrong, but I've seen Appice with a double bass kit in the book for The Beast Of Dio album. I can check later.
i actually saw a video of him in front of a snare and two bass drums, but his exercise he was showing didnt involve it, so i dont know why it was used.

yeah if you find that picture let me know, i thought at one point he switched, but Simon wright (dio's current drummer) said when Vinny played his set he didnt touch the double bass, simon was once a single player as well, but switched due to demand.
metldrummer2112
groove master
groove master

Post Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:06 pm

Oh yeah I can imagine he used it just for looks, because he had a BIG kit and one bass would look kinda silly with all that
"Slaughter and Salvation, we bore two irreconcilable focuses."

"We dare speak the word, King Of Those Who Know."
Assback
session drummer
session drummer

Post Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:17 pm

im a single pedal player. i actually own a double bass iron cobra but i took the slave pedal off.

just never been one to get into the double bass playing, esp. since having one set us messes with the position of my hi-hat and that is a HUMOUNGOUS no no
SuNoAnBuKi
session drummer
session drummer

Post Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:30 pm

I play double bass now but I was a single pedal player for 17 years before I made the jump. I used a Tama Iron Cobra then. I like to have a nice balance between a strong right foot and double bass chops, ya know? As far as practicing .. I don't know how to read music and much of the terminology is foreign to me so I just attempted to play what I heard from guys like Chris Hornbrook and practiced practiced practiced. I'm sure these guys can offer you more structured practice tips.
Ddrum Dominion
Saluda, Zildjian, Paiste, Wuhan
Pearl Hardware, DW Pedals
Remo Heads
drumweezer
beginner
beginner

Post Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:35 pm

I use a single pedal. Like others, a double bass pedal messes with my hihat configuration. I play hardcore/punk music and it is advantageous to be able to play double bass patterns.
My best advice would be to grab a metronome, focus on relaxing your ankle, and play with your heel slightly down (not completely touching the pedal). Once you start to feel comfortable, try to incoporate swiveling your ankle slightly with your heel slightly down. That's how I normally do it.
http://www.myspace.com/princessandthecriminals
http://www.myspace.com/riotriotgrrl

Tama Rockstar Custom
Pork Pie Big Black
Tama Iron Cobra Pedal
Sabian AA
MrPowerRide
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:18 pm

my foot swivels when i do quick doubles, for when i dont use a double pedal and do quadruplets, my foot naturally swivels. I want to get a nice smooth pedal to be able to work on double bass with one foot at a...how else do i put it...nicko mcbrain pace...check out
Ghost of a Navigator on Brave new world..he does double bass licks in that and Wicker Man. that is what i want to accomplish.
Howepirate

Post Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:30 pm

MrPowerRide, any pedal can let you play fast. It's up to you to find the pedal that fits you and you to find the technique to do it.
wmpdrummer13
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:55 pm

amen brother ^^

Tama Rockstar Custom, Zildjian A Customs and A series cymbals, Paiste, Sabian, Wuhan, Promark Japanese Oak, Remo and Evans Heads, DW hardware, Pearl Icon Rack, DW 8002 pedals
Alan_
groove master
groove master

Post Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:25 pm

I have gone back and forth on playing single and double kick. I just bought a double bass pedal last year again, and have been practicing with it, but for the most part I'd still consider myself a "single kick" player on the gig. One of the bands I play in does some 80's crossover hardcore style tunes, though, and I've been working it in on those.

As far as being able to do quick doubles, I don't find the type of pedal really matters all that much. I use DW5000's usually, but I've also used Speed King and old Camco pedals.
MrPowerRide
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:38 pm

Howepirate wrote:MrPowerRide, any pedal can let you play fast. It's up to you to find the pedal that fits you and you to find the technique to do it.
My pdp lets me play fast, but its not as smooth as per say an axis or trick or what i believe the demon drive would be. I've played for over 26 years and realize the statement you said is true, honestly didnt need you to tell me that, iwas more curious to what special pedals people use and practice techniques, not vague answers like that (with all due respect of course) :)
Howepirate

Post Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:08 am

Mkay, I've been playing on my Axis for about a year now. I can do single foot single-strokes up to around 230 BPM (blasting of course). I can do quick 3 stroke rolls like JoJo Mayer (not exactly as fast but fairly close) and I can do it all with my left foot too.
Devindrummer12
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:01 am

I have a "sort of" helpful heel-toe video in lessons. I can play many different double bass rhythms with one foot and I'll try to post a video on some of them. Things Like i do a lot of practicing at 300 bpm and I start with blasting with my right, and it took at long time to get there, then I'll play single pedal patterns like 8th-16th16th on the bass with my right on 1 and 3 and snare on 2 and 4. I then switch and do the same with my left. Just take it slow and develop it, I know you're goign to hear that a lot, but it's true! The biggest thing that helped me were complicated jazz patterns and blast beats to be honest, but find what works for you.
SGarrett

Post Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:45 am

I play single kick with the Constant Release technique. I'm not playing any speed metal variations anytime soon, but I can play fast enough for the stuff I play. :)
"If the goal is for me to give up my reality for your reality, then the goal is for me to give up my self for your self--a goal I have to reject."