Is there such a thing as too high spring tension?

Axis, DW, Pearl, Tama...

Moderator: Moderators

metldrummer2112
groove master
groove master

Post Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:34 pm

Ok so I have some longboards and I really love them, and I keep slowly increasing the spring tension to make them feel more solid because they don't feel all that heavy under my feet and I don't like it. I was just wondering if putting the tension up too high could have some adverse affects on my pedals.
"Slaughter and Salvation, we bore two irreconcilable focuses."

"We dare speak the word, King Of Those Who Know."
SGarrett

Post Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:38 pm

Nope. It'll just make it harder for you play at slow speeds because you'll have to put more effort into controlling the footboard.
"If the goal is for me to give up my reality for your reality, then the goal is for me to give up my self for your self--a goal I have to reject."
metldrummer2112
groove master
groove master

Post Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:04 pm

True, well I don't have too much of a problem with that, except playing quarter notes on both feet to make 8ths. Some sort of excercise Kollias uses to work on control or something, I'm not sure......

It won't break the pedal springs though, will it?

Howepirate

Post Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:30 pm

SGarrett wrote:Nope. It'll just make it harder for you play at slow speeds because you'll have to put more effort into controlling the footboard.

Noone says it better.

And no Metl, you won't break the springs. I mean come on, it's a spring XD. Especially if it's your Axis pedals you're thinking about maxing the tension out on. The springs are very heavy duty. Mine have yet to get noticeably sloppy. I have to tighten them just a thread or two every 3 months? Yeh, you'll be fine dude.

I'm like 7/10 to max spring tension because I can't sit there and play metal all day. To boring...and I love rebound and a heavy feel under my feet! So the best of those worlds is an almost-maxed spring tension.

You should borrow a bass drum and split your Axis up...wait...don't cuz then you'll be spendin money on anotha bass drum XD. It doesn't make a world of difference because of the way the Axis are but man does it just feel sooooo right.
metldrummer2112
groove master
groove master

Post Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:49 pm

Yeah I have on old Mapex bass drum that have on my set just for show right now, and something to clamp my slave pedal onto. When I can afford to reskin it I'll be splitting my Axis. As good as the drive shaft is on Axis, I'd love to not have a slave pedal. Plus it's a bitch to adjust the spring tension with the Axis set as a double. And I think just by looking and my springs, my tension is close to yours.

I'm also thinking about getting some money together, selling my X's and buying some Classic Black A's, for the color of course, and for the VDL, just to see what kind of effect it could have.

I was just curious because back when I was starting out I was at a drumstore and some dude came in with with his longboard and had broken both his springs, and I don't feel like doing any more replacements for a long time.

Howepirate

Post Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:59 pm

Honestly, I have never spent enough time with A's to like them and I don't think I would honestly care that much. The X's do it for me. The quality, response, and precision these pedals have does it for me. I think the VDL would be one of those things that I would probably play with to much for me to get comfortable on, you know? I would say don't waste the money dude. Spend it on re-heading your kit :).

Sometimes things break, you know? So an Axis spring breaks, I guarantee they would probably make you pay for a new one and shipping and they would send you three with a bag of hardware. Axis is usually realllly good with stuff. That is, if you ever get ahold of them haha. They are high-demand right now with the metal movement so they are very busy!
metldrummer2112
groove master
groove master

Post Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:06 pm

Yeah new heads are on the very top of my priorities list. My birthday is the first so I'll be doing it sometime around then. The only appealing feature of the VDL to me is that it could make the pedal feel heavier. I'd probably be messing with it way too much too. I do want black pedals though, so when I get the moeney and have nothing else I need I'll probably get them anyway.

And they'd send me a bag of hardware!?!?!? What kind of hardware?

Howepirate

Post Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:08 pm

Probably a set of allen keys for the pedals ya know? I was just using that as an example but I have heard of scenarios like that on other forum boards where they were generous enough to include other stuff with the replacement parts.

How old are you dude? I'm gonna tell you right now, with the way the economy is, get your set to how you like it and save alllll the money you can. Make sure you got a good car and shit. I can always help in that department. I learn everything I can about vehicles.
metldrummer2112
groove master
groove master

Post Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:15 pm

Extra allen keys would be pretty helpful in case I lose some. When you said hardware I thought maybe an Axis stand or somethinsg, I was about ready to go take a saw to my pedal springs! :mrgreen:

I'm 15. I'm getting my set good right now, getting a job as sson as I urn 15 (ok I lied I'm still 14. Birthdays is like 11 days =P) so I'll get to work on the weekends during school then I can work all week during the summer. I need a new kit extremely badly. Once I replace my hats, I could probably live with my kit the way it is, but I'm looking at probably getting a new Mapex Meridian from my job.

And chances are one I turn 16 my parents will buy a used car for me, so hopefully there won't be too much maintenance to do on it. They almost bought me a car last month, but it got sold before we could get it.

SGarrett

Post Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:47 pm

You can break springs on your pedals if you play like an animal with full tension. Eventually the metal will just fatigue and give. Not common, though.
"If the goal is for me to give up my reality for your reality, then the goal is for me to give up my self for your self--a goal I have to reject."
metldrummer2112
groove master
groove master

Post Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:56 pm

Well I don't play harder than the average Joe, especially since I'm playing metal, so I highly doubt I'll have that problem