Ideal Axis Longboard settings for speed?

Axis, DW, Pearl, Tama...

Moderator: Moderators

Reignman35
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:30 pm

I have a set of Axis AL-2 longboards. Right now I currently have the spring tension all the way up, the variable drive lever about 3/4 of the way up, and the beaters right at 5 inches from the head. For beaters I use the plastic side of my old iron cobra junior beaters. My batter heads are super kick 2s with a falam patch in the center.

My question is, those of you who have Axis longboards (or normal Axis pedals) and play death/thrash/metal, etc, how do you have your longboards set up? I am an aspiring death metal drummer, so I just wanted some input from those of you with more experience on what you use or think the ideal settings are for speed? If this picture works you can see how everything is currently set up.

Thanks in advance ladies and gentlemen.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PDP FS Double Bass 6 Piece
Gibraltar Throne
Axis Longboards
Sabian B8s (for now)
Pro Mark Jason Bittner's

I just want to be like Alan and get over 3500 posts in one year...
metldrummer2112
groove master
groove master

Post Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:13 am

Your settings pretty much seem normal for Axis. I have XL2's so I don't have a vari-drive lever on mine, but I get the spring tension up as high as I can. Never measured or bothered with the beater angle or distance, just left them at the factory settings. But high spring tension is pretty much the way to go.
"Slaughter and Salvation, we bore two irreconcilable focuses."

"We dare speak the word, King Of Those Who Know."
NocturnalDrum
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:21 am

I like the spring tension pretty high, I changed the black stock springs to the larger black axis springs you can buy on the website. I don't really do the tension all the way I'd say like 3 or 4 quarter turns before the nut completely stop turning. I have the XL2's as well.

Beaters also make a difference, I use Slug Percussion beaters they're wicked cool and fast. I tend to ride my beaters a little high and set they're position almost at like a 75 degree angle. I also set my foot position a little above the Axis logo for faster control...as far as speed......PRACTICE YOUR ASS OFF!!! Start off slow then when you have it down step it up every couple of days or so and remember to stretch.
"Ain't Here For A Long Time, Just Here For A Good Time."
galgano16
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:47 pm

I recently just switched 2 Axis, got the A-longboards, with the springs/tension all the way tight, with the beaters set about 4.5-5in. from the head, as for the beaters, I don't use the sonic hammers that they came with, I bought the regular axis beaters from the site that normally come with the X-longboards, and I couldn't be even happier with the results...
Ignorance is a clear indication of a severe lack of intelligence-me
METAL 4EVER!!!!
http://www.myspace.com/ngkillsu
http://www.myspace.com/zombiesforgore
http://www.myspace.com/deception102