Axis X-L2 Double Pedal

Axis, DW, Pearl, Tama...

Moderator: Moderators

nydubber
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:51 pm

I know what you meant and what others are saying....

on my old school Gibraltor whatever you call them I felt like a better double bass drummer as I was comfortable w/how they made my playing feel.

Then I got a DW9000 double pedal and felt retarded for a long time before I got accustomed to how they worked.

The Axis pedals WILL help you in the long run, and as others have said and you acknowledged...only you using them properly will help your speed/ability.

Get 'em and tell us how they are - if I didn't do my DW's...I was looking at these so I always like reading about how others like them or dislike them.
Sonor Performer/ZXT Titaniums/DW 9000/Sonor+Pearl Hardware
metldrummer2112
groove master
groove master

Post Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:00 pm

nydubber wrote:I know what you meant and what others are saying....

on my old school Gibraltor whatever you call them I felt like a better double bass drummer as I was comfortable w/how they made my playing feel.

Then I got a DW9000 double pedal and felt retarded for a long time before I got accustomed to how they worked.

The Axis pedals WILL help you in the long run, and as others have said and you acknowledged...only you using them properly will help your speed/ability.

Get 'em and tell us how they are - if I didn't do my DW's...I was looking at these so I always like reading about how others like them or dislike them.

Yeah I've heard it can take a while to get used to the Axis Pedals, I'm gonna so much fun since I'm having a band practice a couple days after I get them.

And if they're more comfortable (which I hope to god they are, my pedals right now hurt my left ankle for some reason. I think it's a little weaker than my right) I think I'll be able to improve better on them and play better on them in general. I'm pretty sure I use my pedals right, and I had a drummer of 30+ years experience watch me play and point out flaws, and he didn't mention anything about that.

I'll be sure to let you guys know how they are once I get them.
"Slaughter and Salvation, we bore two irreconcilable focuses."

"We dare speak the word, King Of Those Who Know."
Howepirate

Post Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:06 pm

Your left ankle hurts cuz you're staining it. Try and reconsider your position over the pedals and throne height.
metldrummer2112
groove master
groove master

Post Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:08 pm

Yeah, I just noticed my throne is a little too high. I'm lowering one setting when I go back down to my drums

Howepirate

Post Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:20 pm

No higher is better. Try pulling it back a ways. It helps put less strain on your ankles.
Alan_
groove master
groove master

Post Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:25 pm

most ergonomic height is with your thighs slightly angled down from your ass. for double bass you want your feet to be symmetrical. put them far apart that your snare fits, but no farther. have your snare be the "front and center" component of your kit, if that makes any sense.
xdoseonex
groove master
groove master

Post Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:28 pm

Howepirate wrote:No higher is better. Try pulling it back a ways. It helps put less strain on your ankles.

higher is not better. higher is worse. you need to have a good sense of balance over your throne. pulling it up too high will throw your balance off. pulling your throne back can help, but it depends on your technique. i sit in close, over my pedals. but then again I'v worked things out to the point where i dont take double bass advice from anyone. ( sorry if i sound arrogant, i really dont. i do double kick things my way). but higher isnt better, brian sits up high because he's developed a technique where he uses it to his advantage and it works for him. I wish zendrummer was here, as i believe he would have something to say about throne height.
Proud to endorse TRICK Percussion
metldrummer2112
groove master
groove master

Post Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:15 pm

xdoseonex wrote:
Howepirate wrote:No higher is better. Try pulling it back a ways. It helps put less strain on your ankles.

higher is not better. higher is worse. you need to have a good sense of balance over your throne. pulling it up too high will throw your balance off. pulling your throne back can help, but it depends on your technique. i sit in close, over my pedals. but then again I'v worked things out to the point where i dont take double bass advice from anyone. ( sorry if i sound arrogant, i really dont. i do double kick things my way). but higher isnt better, brian sits up high because he's developed a technique where he uses it to his advantage and it works for him. I wish zendrummer was here, as i believe he would have something to say about throne height.

Yes, Zen had quite a discussion about this on UGW. I read earlier today in school. A little above being symmetrical to the floor is best. too high and you will cap off after a certain point and won't be able to get better. But that's just what Zen says

Alan_ wrote:most ergonomic height is with your thighs slightly angled down from your ass. for double bass you want your feet to be symmetrical. put them far apart that your snare fits, but no farther. have your snare be the "front and center" component of your kit, if that makes any sense.

Yes that makes perfect sense. I'm gonna try to move my pedals in a tiny bit later, but they're already about where you said

Howepirate

Post Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:32 pm

xdoseonex wrote:

Yeah it's the whole sit tall and far back. Sit to tall over your pedals and you're def gonna cap yourself. Should have clarified that. I was also meaning higher than 90 degrees not lower than 90 (knees angle).

Just fiddle with it. I've changed my style a lot from that because I wanted a lot more endurance. I worked on the Kollias techniques a little more and started playing more heels way up instead of my weird flatfoot. Mainly cuz my triggers broke haha. My bass drum has always been way to quiet to hear anywayz....
metldrummer2112
groove master
groove master

Post Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:39 pm

Haha well right now I just did a lot of the stuff mentioned in this post, and now I can't play my kit. Throne height was not a problem, but after I moved my pedals like Alan_ said, I have to put my drums so insanely high that I can't play them because I'm a little too short. I need a fusion kit

Howepirate

Post Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:51 pm

metldrummer2112 wrote:Haha well right now I just did a lot of the stuff mentioned in this post, and now I can't play my kit. Throne height was not a problem, but after I moved my pedals like Alan_ said, I have to put my drums so insanely high that I can't play them because I'm a little too short. I need a fusion kit

What? Take pics and I'll help. I'm a drum-fitment nazi.

february-10th-pics-of-m-birch-w-rack-t10492.html

My set when I had money...
metldrummer2112
groove master
groove master

Post Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:55 pm

Howepirate wrote:
metldrummer2112 wrote:Haha well right now I just did a lot of the stuff mentioned in this post, and now I can't play my kit. Throne height was not a problem, but after I moved my pedals like Alan_ said, I have to put my drums so insanely high that I can't play them because I'm a little too short. I need a fusion kit

My set is currently in pieces on the floor =P
I'm gonna head down and try and fix it as good as I can. But my pedals are gonna have to further out.

xdoseonex
groove master
groove master

Post Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:55 pm

Howepirate wrote:

do you not have that setup anymore, what happened?
Howepirate

Post Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:16 pm

xdoseonex wrote:
Howepirate wrote:

do you not have that setup anymore, what happened?

The economy collapsed. Every cymbal I have has MAJOR cracks in it besides my ride and hats and STFU to anyone who's gonna try and say something bout technique... Basically my bandmates think cymbals are invincible when they play my kit...not cool.

I traded the rack for an extra bass drum which happens to sound nowhere near the one I have which I'm pissed about. I still have the same heads as I did...nuff said.

I'm poor dude. And there's not a god damn job in southwest florida. NONE
xdoseonex
groove master
groove master

Post Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:32 pm

I'm poor as F*CK as well. havent found a job since i left sam ash. My wfd heads have lasted me a while, and i got sone free heads from a remo rep when i worked at sam ash. I havent broken a cymbal in forever, tho i'm still in need of a couple, Luckily I dont need much drum shit right now, cuz i wouldnt be able to afford it.