Tricks are like cheating

Axis, DW, Pearl, Tama...

Moderator: Moderators

Brother_Bong
groove master
groove master

Post Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:50 pm

I finally got to sit down and dial in and jam with my new Trick pedals(thanks Jaundiced). The first thing I thought was the same thing I thought 15 years ago when I set up my Axis, this is almost cheating! These pedals almost play themselves. Compared side by side with the Axis it's a very close call on performance, but the win goes to Trick for overall durability and ease in adjustment. There is only like four ways to adjust the Tricks, but they offer infinite adjustment(I know that kinda doesn't make sense).

The Tricks are a wise investment for ANY playing style. I was unsure at DRT when I played Zens, but having them adjusted to MY liking makes all the difference in the world!
Plus they are so purdy to look at!
Happy boy, happy boy!
MEDICINE MAN AZ Endorsed, TRICK PEDALS, ZILDJIAN, SABIAN, SALUDA, SUPERNATURALS, ASAPH, WUHAN, SILVERFOX, BUD LIGHT

drummerduba
groove master
groove master

Post Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:02 pm

thats awesome dude :D
Silverfox Drumsticks UK Artist
Soultone Cymbals UK Artist
SINISTER
session drummer
session drummer

Post Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:36 pm

I have wet dreams about owning some tricks :mrgreen:

I bet your the coolest dude on the block. If I owned tricks I'd set em up in my driveway and pretend to wash em like a car so all the people in the neighborhood would be like Whoa man, is that a set of tricks and I'd be all like; Hell yeah its an 08' and I'm just waxin er cuz imma take em for a spin later.

Ahhhh I'm bored
Last edited by SINISTER on Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Live by the drum, die by the drum!
bass-ackwards
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:51 pm

^
OHH dear...*shakes head*

They sound awesome but seeing as how i am a freak I need the drum brand to match the hardware brand. and im not really hardcore for Double Bass. so the I cant justify the price.

Brother_Bong wrote:You are number one so that makes everyone else number two. Like poop.
Howepirate

Post Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:28 pm

Any gain in loudness of your bass yet? That's the only thing direct drives haven't figured out yet ( yeah i know its mostly the player but certain bpms blahh blahh).

Which ones do you have?
Brother_Bong
groove master
groove master

Post Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:45 pm

Howepirate wrote:Any gain in loudness of your bass yet? That's the only thing direct drives haven't figured out yet ( yeah i know its mostly the player but certain bpms blahh blahh).

Which ones do you have?

Actually Brian, I do see an increase in volume partly due to using heavy beaters, but also these pedals are real rugged and FAST. I ended up getting two single Pro v-1s from Jaundiced in perfect shape. But again, I think I can kick harder with these over my Axis at faster speeds, they seem more balanced. Almost like they play themselves.

Hey Brian, when can I get some music from ya?
MEDICINE MAN AZ Endorsed, TRICK PEDALS, ZILDJIAN, SABIAN, SALUDA, SUPERNATURALS, ASAPH, WUHAN, SILVERFOX, BUD LIGHT

iatemygoat
groove master
groove master

Post Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:51 pm

bass-ackwards wrote:^
OHH dear...*shakes head*

They sound awesome but seeing as how i am a freak I need the drum brand to match the hardware brand. and im not really hardcore for Double Bass. so the I cant justify the price.

that is weird.
xdoseonex
groove master
groove master

Post Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:39 pm

iatemygoat wrote:
bass-ackwards wrote:^
OHH dear...*shakes head*

that is weird.

Very weird. imagine if you were tied to mapex pedals goat?
Proud to endorse TRICK Percussion
xdoseonex
groove master
groove master

Post Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:40 pm

and this is really good to know bing that i'm gonna get a trick double pedal once christmas rolls around
Proud to endorse TRICK Percussion
Brother_Bong
groove master
groove master

Post Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:20 pm

xdoseonex wrote:and this is really good to know bing that i'm gonna get a trick double pedal once christmas rolls around

Dose, I know you fly on Axis, you will be better than Kollias on these Fuc*ers, I absolutely guarantee it! I apologize for getting to Jaundiced before you, I know you were interested. But hell, you have four kits and I only have three, I was just trying to get ahead. :mrgreen:

Howepirate

Post Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:03 am

Brother_Bong wrote:
Howepirate wrote:Any gain in loudness of your bass yet? That's the only thing direct drives haven't figured out yet ( yeah i know its mostly the player but certain bpms blahh blahh).

Which ones do you have?

Actually Brian, I do see an increase in volume partly due to using heavy beaters, but also these pedals are real rugged and FAST. I ended up getting two single Pro v-1s from Jaundiced in perfect shape. But again, I think I can kick harder with these over my Axis at faster speeds, they seem more balanced. Almost like they play themselves.

Hey Brian, when can I get some music from ya?

Both of my bands have been recording lately. The quality is horrible. I must admit I'm extremely poor and don't have any way of dealing with my failing, tired Axis (not to mention broken cymbals, year-old drum heads, broken/breaking hardware). Times have gotten tough and I'm looking for what I'm going to buy down the road when jobs finally open up in the area and I'm out of school. I think I'm sold on Tricks as I no longer trigger and knowing what I know now, I'm sure I could just use a ddrum with the right muffling and setting on my Dtxpress.

Has anyone gotten the Dominator yet? Idk if it's out but I figured a few of you endorsers or NAMM freaks mighta gotten a bit of time to sit with em' and play around.
jaundiced
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:44 am

I've never played them, but I did talk to JT from Trick about these earlier this year before I got my Bigfoots. I can't recall the conversation verbatim, but the basic adjustments (spring tension, beater angle, etc...) and playability are very comparable to the Pro-1v's. Some differences are 1) The beaters 2) There is no footboard height adjustment on the drive (the pro 1-v has 3 positions on it), but the footboard angle adjustment is the same 3) There's no plate under the footboard. I don't know if the Dominator has the sliding track on the base. That's the adjustment controls pedal's distance from the head and how flush the beater hits the head. If you haven't already seen this, here's a more little info on them. Just go to the Dominator page and there's a video and some details for you.

http://trickdrums.com/

Had they been available at the time, I probably would've saved myself a couple hundred bucks and gotten these instead. But they weren't, so I got the Bigfoots and now have no desire to play anything else.
blasting tools provided by Trick drums and pedals, paiste cymbals, Hornets drumsticks
Kaos
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:39 am

After the first of the year I'm trading my Cobra's for either the Axis of the Bigfoots. My question is which one would be easyer to switch to? I've played the Axis long boards and like them but would I like the Bigfoots better? I'd love to know what the differences are. Thanks in advace.
choochoo
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Nov 30, 2008 3:03 pm

tricks are great.. they are WAY smoother then the axis pedals. Great for heal down.. and heal up if you dont have a long board.
audiotech
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:33 am

This is an older thread, but yesterday I was auditioning a bunch of different pedals since I need another for a new kit I just bought. Out of all the pedals I played and I sat their for almost two hours going back and forth between them, the Trick Pro 1's have to be the best pedals I've played in 48 years. Fast, very responsive, hard hitting and an engineering marvel. One of the techs at the shop took the side plate off the tricks I was playing to show how the mechanism functioned, I never saw any thing like it in a bass drum pedal. I walked out of the shop without one, but the more I think about them, I'm going to take the plunge. I was trying my best to like the different versions of the Axis pedals, but they don't hold a candle to the Trick pedals I've played.

Just my recent experience,
Dennis