Gilbrator vs Iron Cobras

Axis, DW, Pearl, Tama...

Moderator: Moderators

5 inches of FURY
beginner
beginner

Post Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:07 am

yes i know, ICs are the better pedal BUT there also 100$ more than the Gilbrator brand.
Im new to the double bass family and fully-blown retarded, so should i just get the Gilbrators, spend 100$ on crack and hope for the best or should I just shell out for the ICs?

next question: someone please explain to me WTF is the difference between stap-drive, direct-drive, power-drive, and glide
anavrinIV
groove master
groove master

Post Sat Nov 01, 2008 9:00 am

strap drives have a strap connecting the pedal to the cam. chain drives have a chain. direct drives have a solid metal bar. power glide is a pedal name based on the shape of the cam.

buy whatever pedal you want. ic's aren't necessarily better than gibraltars, it's all about what you like and need.
zen_drummer wrote:Real life doesn't work that way, and one day he's gonna pull a stunt like that and they'll put a cap in him. At that point it won't matter that he was fat in high-school and couldn't get laid.
ShadowDrummer
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:08 pm

IMO, Iron cobras seem more reliable from experience, never had a part break or slip off, jkust solid built. I think if you buy them new they have a warranty anyway should something happen.
Can't comment on the Gibraltars though..never seen em in person.

BTW, can you be more specific about which Gibraltar model you're looking at for comparison?
Pearl Drums

Paiste Cymbals

Vater Sticks

Evans Heads
5 inches of FURY
beginner
beginner

Post Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:54 am

well thanks to anavrin1V i now know the difference between the pedals are but, im still not sure which one is better
The strap seems like it would "tug" my feet and break easier
The chain seems to be the fastest but it looks like it would require alot more maintenice { i know, i suck at spelling}
and the direct drive seems like it would be heavier but hit with more power

so i guess im comparing the chain and the direct. Any help would be apperciated
anavrinIV
groove master
groove master

Post Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:08 am

direct drives are generally faster because there can't be any slack in the drive shaft since the pedal is solidly linked. anywhere the foot goes the pedal goes, and anywhere the pedal goes the beater goes. chains and straps can have slack in them which can create lag in the pedal. you really need to try them out to see because direct drives are generally a hit or miss on whether or not you like them. I do. I own one. I also own chain pedals. just try some and get what you like.
zen_drummer wrote:Real life doesn't work that way, and one day he's gonna pull a stunt like that and they'll put a cap in him. At that point it won't matter that he was fat in high-school and couldn't get laid.
ShadowDrummer
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:53 pm

I would say, if you go with a chained pedal (regardless of brand) try to stick to the DOUBLE chained, as they have more power and tend to have a little less lag than a single chained pedal.
Pearl Drums

Paiste Cymbals

Vater Sticks

Evans Heads
5 inches of FURY
beginner
beginner

Post Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:00 pm

trust me dude, i would love to go to my local music stores but they all the same stuff and there WAY over-priced plus my parents hate taking me there cause they think all cymbals sound identical and if your good enough u could play double bass with one foot :(
ShadowDrummer
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Nov 09, 2008 6:59 pm

Well to put it out now that I can testify:
The 2007 model iron cobras are really good, adjustable, solid, and engineered quite well. (I own the new power glides)
Pearl Drums

Paiste Cymbals

Vater Sticks

Evans Heads
Davo-London
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:57 am

Just bought the IC power glide yesterday.

Wow. What a difference from my cheapo pedal. It was set at a med/high tension but I'm loving it. So fast and responsive. I'm a completely new drummer. I know it sounds silly but I feel it to be true. So much more positive and precise.

I wondered if I was wasting my money but I'm happy to report quite the opposite.

Peace
Davo
I love Cheese and drums
groove master
groove master

Post Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:13 pm

I have tried both Gibralter and I own a power Glide double pedal and I have to say to me the Cobras feel alot better. Now I'm saving up for some Axis Long Boards God I love those pedals!
Hey My names Dave
Slingerland, Yamaha, and Mapex drums
Saluda Cymbals
I want a Medicine Man Snare

Visit http://www.myspace.com/onceforgotten18 and listen to their new song Our Darkest Desires!