50%
Axis Longboards
50%

Total votes: 14
Joshua6393
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:17 am

Hey guys I baught a brand new dw 9002 double bass pedal the other week for £260 and ive been so happy with it so i thaugth id make this post and see what all you guys think to it and to see if you guys are as happy with it as me...and post any problems you may of had with it just basically anything related with the DW9002 pedal :D:D:D:D:D

Thanks
Joshua
Howepirate

Post Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:27 am

All I know is that there was a review on the PDF of several of DW's pedals on there including the 9002 and they found that the pedalboards are very weak and tend to snap.

Nothing from personal experience, just a forewarning.
Joshua6393
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:38 am

I appriciate the advice :D
Il try go easy on the plates although they seem pretty sturdy atm :)
Scrogs
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:37 pm

Howepirate wrote:All I know is that there was a review on the PDF of several of DW's pedals on there including the 9002 and they found that the pedalboards are very weak and tend to snap.

I like to see a picture of that...did they post any?
nightcrawler_steve
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:51 am

First, PDF :roll: Several? I have an incredibly hard time believing that and I woud have to see a picture.

I have been playing DW pedals for years and the only problem I ever encountered was the hinges with the old 5000s. DW fixed that problem a long time ago. I have the 9000 single and I love it. I would also say its one of the most solid pedals Ive ever played. Lift one sometime ;)
ODERY / DW / DUNNETT / PAISTE / ZILDJIAN / SABIAN
----------------------------------------------------------------
rufus4dagruv
groove master
groove master

Post Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:17 am

I've owned the single pedal versions of each and sold both of them. Both were very nice pedals, but also extremely different. Of the 2, I preferred the flexibility of the DW's over the Axis. I ended up getting the regular footboard for the Axis and it just wasn't for me. The only problem with the 9000 that I couldn't get over was the location of the spring. Yeah, it was probably a mental block, but I got sick of thinking about it so I sold it. Easy come, easy go.
Joshua6393
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:44 am

rufus4dagruv wrote: The only problem with the 9000 that I couldn't get over was the location of the spring. Yeah, it was probably a mental block, but I got sick of thinking about it so I sold it. Easy come, easy go.

I really like how the springs are located I personally think its better than he usual possition because I think the springs would be more protected when traveling especially because Ihave no case for mine :(

I like the fact that ou have owned both though because its fair enough people saying that they prefer the dw or the axis but maybe they own the axis and have never tried the dw or the other way round so I suppose you have first hand experience with both :D

but anyways its opinion isnt it so not one is better than the other just different
I like the onovative look of the axis but the smoothness of the DW

Keep The Opinions and Experiences coming
:D:D:D:D
Joshua6393
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:47 am

rufus4dagruv wrote: The only problem with the 9000 that I couldn't get over was the location of the spring. Yeah, it was probably a mental block, but I got sick of thinking about it so I sold it. Easy come, easy go.

I like the possition of the spring because it looks different and I would think that it would protect the sping when transporting the pedal especially when yu dont have a case for it like me :(
rufus4dagruv
groove master
groove master

Post Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:48 am

Joshua6393 wrote:

I really like how the springs are located I personally think its better than he usual possition because I think the springs would be more protected when traveling especially because Ihave no case for mine :(

I like the fact that ou have owned both though because its fair enough people saying that they prefer the dw or the axis but maybe they own the axis and have never tried the dw or the other way round so I suppose you have first hand experience with both :D

but anyways its opinion isnt it so not one is better than the other just different
I like the onovative look of the axis but the smoothness of the DW

Keep The Opinions and Experiences coming
:D:D:D:D

Well, the problem I had with the spring location is that at the time, I played barefoot most of the time. I would move my foot all over the footboard. Once I pinched my little toe and it ripped part of my toenail off, I was a little gun shy. Aesthetics are of very little concern to me regarding my hardware selection. I will say that it was unbelievably smooth.

If you are interested in the double version, it comes with a hard case so worrying about the spring being damaged in transportation should not be a concern.

In reality, I would not have bought either of them if I didn't try them out first. At the time, I did not seek anyone's opinion because frankly, I didn't care. No one can tell me how a pedal is going to feel to my feet, and if something doesn't feel right, I'm not going to buy it, especially considering the amount of money they pedals go for. Again, that's just me. Good luck.
Alan_
groove master
groove master

Post Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:53 am

nightcrawler_steve wrote:First, PDF :roll: Several? I have an incredibly hard time believing that and I woud have to see a picture.

I have been playing DW pedals for years and the only problem I ever encountered was the hinges with the old 5000s. DW fixed that problem a long time ago. I have the 9000 single and I love it. I would also say its one of the most solid pedals Ive ever played. Lift one sometime ;)

what problem with the hinges did you experience? I also had an issue: the hinges on my old 5002 wore out and got looser and looser until I finally had to put it to bed and get a new 5000 single. no problems with that one, and no problems with my recently-purchased 5002.
nightcrawler_steve
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:32 am

Alan_ wrote:
nightcrawler_steve wrote:First, PDF :roll: Several? I have an incredibly hard time believing that and I woud have to see a picture.

what problem with the hinges did you experience? I also had an issue: the hinges on my old 5002 wore out and got looser and looser until I finally had to put it to bed and get a new 5000 single. no problems with that one, and no problems with my recently-purchased 5002.

Same problem as you Alan. The hinges would get looser until the pin would break. I ended up having stainless steel ones built for me cause I got tired of it. They lasted a bit longer, but eventually wore out too. I think it was a bad design/parts issue. I bought the 9000 after the last break and couldnt be happier.

I tried it at Dales Drum Shop in Harrisburg (shameless plug) against the Axis and Iron Cobras. Ive heard most people either love or hate the 9000s.....doesnt seem to be much in between. IMO they are the smoothest pedals ever. I did not like the Axis at all at Dales, but when I played a set at DRT I really liked them. I guess it depends on the set up. Ha ha....I played Zens Trick and hated it, but in fairness he played mine and hated it too. I think that was an issue of setup ,as his are a lot stiffer than mine. I imagine you could probably dial any of the higher end pedals into something at least livable. Ive played friends Iron Cobras and really liked them. I missed out on the Dyanetics at DRT. I think my friends and I were out eating and checkin out the town then :(

Sorry for the pedal rant. I am anxiously awaiting the "DaVinci" hopefully being released on 09. That is a pedal I will go out of my way to check out because its a Dunnett pedal and supposedly a "rethink" on pedal design. Also at a good price point from what I hear.
ODERY / DW / DUNNETT / PAISTE / ZILDJIAN / SABIAN
----------------------------------------------------------------
Empyrean Drums
groove master
groove master

Post Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:41 am

sjoey1r
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:44 am

I know its not the 9002, but i had the 8002 as well as the Axis.

And though i sold both, the Dw's felt Brilliant,though slightly heavy. (reason for selling them)
The Axis pedals were the worst pedals I've ever played, they have no feel to them whatsoever, in my opinion. Hated them.couldn't wait to get rid of them.

Iron cobras all the way.

haha

Enjoy them dude.

£260 is a great price btw...they retail at like £370
Empyrean Drums
groove master
groove master

Post Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:49 am

IMO, Axis and Trick are only worth it if you get longboards. DW Pearl and Tama should all make longboard versions of their pedals
Alan_
groove master
groove master

Post Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:51 am

Empyrean Drums wrote:Image

dang. I never had that happen with a DW. I have broken the casting that the beater sits in on two speed kings though.