DW 5000 specialty pedals -- heal-toe

Axis, DW, Pearl, Tama...

Moderator: Moderators

Miketh
beginner
beginner

Post Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:50 pm

I'm in the market for a new double bass pedal.

Up until this point, I've played heel up, but I'm not exactly blazing fast. My feet are also too big to do heel-toe on a standard pedal.

I don't even know if I want to try heel toe stuff, or just be patient and get the speed out of heel up, but I'd at least like to have the option.

I was looking at DW's stuff, and they have some specialty pedals that might do the trick for someone wtih big feet. The 5002ADS http://dwdrums.com/pedals/5000Pedals.htm

But I've never seen one of these in person so I have no idea if it would be would I'm looking for or not. Could be a cheap answer for bigfoot wanting to do heel toe?

Axis Longboards are too expensive for me btw.
Alan_
groove master
groove master

Post Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:59 pm

nope. I can't do heel toe on my 5000's. I wear a size 12. I've been working on constant release which is pretty cool.

longboards are pretty much the only answer for big feet doing heel-toe. the 5000's are great pedals, though.
Mitchell?
groove master
groove master

Post Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:37 pm

Yeah, get some Axis Longboards, or some Trick Bigfoots.
_...:::/ Jimbob2020 agrees \:::..._
ImageImageImage
Miketh
beginner
beginner

Post Sat Jul 12, 2008 2:48 pm

Thanks for the responses, but I can't afford the Axis or Trick unless I find one used.

Isn't there another technique, like a foot swivel or something you can do to roll the bass pedals? What's that called?
zen_drummer
groove master
groove master

Post Sat Jul 12, 2008 8:40 pm

Miketh wrote:Thanks for the responses, but I can't afford the Axis or Trick unless I find one used.

Can't or WON'T afford?

Anything worth doing is worth doing RIGHT!

How long could it possibly take to save up 729.00 for the Trick Double? Put 75 bucks a month aside for 10 months and you'll have a no-comprimise solution! If that won't happen, then save 37.50 for 20 months!

You could spend the next two years trying to master a technique that would be easier with equipment that is better suited for the job!
Scrogs
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Jul 13, 2008 6:53 am

zen_drummer wrote:
Miketh wrote:Thanks for the responses, but I can't afford the Axis or Trick unless I find one used.

Can't or WON'T afford?

How long could it possibly take to save up 729.00 for the Trick Double? Put 75 bucks a month aside for 10 months and you'll have a no-comprimise solution! If that won't happen, then save 37.50 for 20 months!

You could spend the next two years trying to master a technique that would be easier with equipment that is better suited for the job!

Zen, he broke the mold after you.

Miketh, I had one of those ADS pedals by accident when I bought my kit almost a year ago. It has a way different feel. I dont know if it will work for you
but I do know it was weird having the heel part of a bass drum pedal move upwards when your pushing on the toe part of it. I would guess that pedal
was designed exclusively for heel/toe technique and nothing else.
Jimbob2020
session drummer
session drummer

Post Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:08 am

Get a Trick big foot!!
DW Collector's
Ludwig Classic Maple
Yamaha Stage Custom Nouveau
Meinl Byzance, Zildjian A Custom, Zildjian Platinum Cymbals
DW 5k & 9k Hardware
Evans and Remo Heads
Vic Firth
randomdrum
session drummer
session drummer

Post Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:38 pm

Some people just can't afford expensive gear. I know I can't most of the time, and I definitely can't afford to be putting loads of money aside.

You don't need longboards to do heel toe. Just get a pedal you feel comfortable with and like playing, and then perfect your technique on that. There's no point spending huge amounts on something simply for one technique that isn't even that good anyway.
Random Hand
Me!!

Mapex Drums
DW8000 Pedals
Sabian Cymbals
Vater Sticks
Miketh
beginner
beginner

Post Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:00 am

[quote="zen_drummer"][quote="Miketh"]Thanks for the responses, but I can't afford the Axis or Trick unless I find one used.[/quote]

Can't or WON'T afford?

You could spend the next two years trying to master a technique that would be easier with equipment that is better suited for the job![/quote]

The money I'm spending is from a bonus I got at work, so I'm on a fixed amount, and that has to include some other equipment as well.

As far as monthly savings go, I'll just say I have a mortgage and my first child on its way.

So, for the time being CAN'T afford.

But point well taken.
Zim
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:57 pm

zen_drummer wrote:

Can't or WON'T afford?

well said ZEN, I ALWAYS WAS TAUGHT TO GO W/ THE BETTER OPTION BUYING CHEAP REALLY DOESNT PAY OFF IN THE END!
sonor drums
Meinl Byzance cymbals
Byzance crashes
and splashes
saluda v-bells
sabian hats
Paiste accent cymbals 4" & 8"
DW pedals
roc n soc ,pro mark sticks
ShadowDrummer
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:44 pm

Well I would suggest workin on swivel technique as it works out for me great. I Wear a 13.5 and play on PDP 402 pedals up to the 260 bpm range using this technique. Sure you could buy an expensive pedal, but it will only do so much good if you don't/didn't have a developed technique to begin with. (Not saying you don't, just making a point)
Pearl Drums

Paiste Cymbals

Vater Sticks

Evans Heads
Kris
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:46 am

Damn ya'll got some big feets....I wear a size 11 and don't have a problem on any pedals....oh well, that's lucky for me I guess. One thing that i do like about the DW's though is the optional toe stopper! It lets you get a little more bite on the toe action.
Be Strong to Endure - Endure to be Strong !
www.krisardolino.com
http://www.myspace.com/krisardolino
Multibomber
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:46 pm

These are new! Cant find reviews on them anywhere.

Your boobs aren't "huge"... they're "fun-sized!"
Devindrummer12
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Sep 28, 2008 1:55 pm

I have a size 12 foot and have trouble with heel-toe on 5000's
Devindrummer12
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:35 am

oops, I meant I have no trouble with heel-toe on them.