daeth metal/deathcore iron cobras

Axis, DW, Pearl, Tama...

Moderator: Moderators

metldrummer2112
groove master
groove master

Post Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:19 pm

Howepirate wrote:Well I meant that on the part of his technique. They think they'll learn swivel like Kollias and be a gawd like him. Really he just uses ankles :)

Ha yeah I knew what you meant. The swiveling certainly hasn't made me any faster, it just feels better
"Slaughter and Salvation, we bore two irreconcilable focuses."

"We dare speak the word, King Of Those Who Know."
rigemeister
beginner
beginner

Post Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:50 pm

Cynic's Sean Reinert uses Iron Cobras, and he plays some progressive/technical/jazz death metal. If you haven't heard him, you're missing out.
Devindrummer12
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:48 am

rigemeister wrote:Cynic's Sean Reinert uses Iron Cobras, and he plays some progressive/technical/jazz death metal. If you haven't heard him, you're missing out.

Cyninc's not bad, I think they try to copy to Opeth to be honest, but they really don't have any drum parts that coincide with Death metal/core drumming, at least that I've ever heard.
randomdrum
session drummer
session drummer

Post Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:31 am

I find it hilarious that there's supposedly a difference between 'death metal' and 'death core' :roll:
Random Hand
Me!!

Mapex Drums
DW8000 Pedals
Sabian Cymbals
Vater Sticks
Howepirate

Post Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:42 am

randomdrum wrote:I find it hilarious that there's supposedly a difference between 'death metal' and 'death core' :roll:

There's a huge difference.

The scene, the people, the style....not to mention the music is different?

WOW.

Devindrummer12
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:15 pm

randomdrum wrote:I find it hilarious that there's supposedly a difference between 'death metal' and 'death core' :roll:

Please tell me that you are only joking with me......That's a ridiculous generalization to make about two completely different styles of music.
Alan_
groove master
groove master

Post Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:33 pm

they're not "completely different" in the way that, say, surf music and early 20th century atonal orchestral music are, or 50's bebop and 3-chord punk rock are. not even CLOSE.

that sort of thing reminds me of the way dj's will pick some stupendously narrow subgenre and only play music that fits into said stupendously narrow subgenre.

people try to create all these nitpicky, ultraspecific "styles" for the music people make, when in actuality it's a lot more fun if you just view it ALL as music and try to appreciate the aesthetics of individual artists instead of globbing artists together into this bandwagon or that. I personally couldn't care less whether a band I'm playing in is considered free jazz or soft rock, as long as I'm comfortable with the aesthetic of the sound we're making. When you define yourself as "fitting in" to a genre, you limit yourself from looking outside it to add influence from the whole spectrum to what you're doing.

this is not to say that traditions shouldn't be studied and learned from, more to say that you shouldn't let them limit you.
randomdrum
session drummer
session drummer

Post Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:28 pm

Howepirate wrote:

WOW.

WOW INDEED, haha. I love your posts, really.

Well said Alan. The bands in those videos are metal bands. If you must label them as 'death-x-core-grind-slap' then go ahead, doesn't mean I don't find the distinction somewhat laughable.
Random Hand
Me!!

Mapex Drums
DW8000 Pedals
Sabian Cymbals
Vater Sticks
randomdrum
session drummer
session drummer

Post Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:30 pm

Alan_ wrote:stupendously narrow subgenre
Random Hand
Me!!

Mapex Drums
DW8000 Pedals
Sabian Cymbals
Vater Sticks
Howepirate

Post Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:50 pm

randomdrum wrote:
Howepirate wrote:

WOW.

WOW INDEED, haha. I love your posts, really.

Well said Alan. The bands in those videos are metal bands. If you must label them as 'death-x-core-grind-slap' then go ahead, doesn't mean I don't find the distinction somewhat laughable.

Traditional metal has progressed into styles that have been closely guarded by those who see themselves as true-uber metalheads. They believe that by putting something called "core" in things, they are distinguishing that which is still true to it's roots. Not some "stupid" branch off.

IMO, it's a load of bullshit. Music is music. I always tell the uber metal kids to fuck off and stop being purists. Honestly, there's no point considering anything that can be done, has been done in death metal.
randomdrum
session drummer
session drummer

Post Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:05 pm

Seems like we agree! It's all been done before under one less refined umbrella, that's all I mean
Random Hand
Me!!

Mapex Drums
DW8000 Pedals
Sabian Cymbals
Vater Sticks
Alan_
groove master
groove master

Post Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:07 pm

neways I peeped the second video. NICE.
Howepirate

Post Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:55 pm

randomdrum wrote:Seems like we agree! It's all been done before under one less refined umbrella, that's all I mean

Indeed :D
TheYardstick
groove master
groove master

Post Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:35 am

Howepirate wrote:Don't let ANYONE EVER criticize you for what you're doing.

And this is exactly why you're impossible and can't take criticism.
"I think we ought to read only the kind of books that wound and stab us. If the book we are reading doesn't wake us up with a blow on the head, what are we reading it for?"-Franz Kafka

My Last.fm
TheYardstick
groove master
groove master

Post Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:40 am

Devindrummer12 wrote:
rigemeister wrote:Cynic's Sean Reinert uses Iron Cobras, and he plays some progressive/technical/jazz death metal. If you haven't heard him, you're missing out.

Cyninc's not bad, I think they try to copy to Opeth to be honest, but they really don't have any drum parts that coincide with Death metal/core drumming, at least that I've ever heard.

Cynic came before Opeth....

And plays entirely differently from Opeth, even the latest. Opeth is more straightforward and focuses more on merging songwriting with instrumentals, Cynic is much more heavily focused on the instrumental side even though someone gave Masvidal a little bit too much time with the Vocoder on Traced in Air.

Cynic is definitely Death Metal, they played an entirely different style of Death Metal, which is what a lot of other Floridian DM bands at the time were doing.

Really, blisteringly fast double bass has really only been a recent trend, you generally won't find 16ths at 200+BPM in early DM.
"I think we ought to read only the kind of books that wound and stab us. If the book we are reading doesn't wake us up with a blow on the head, what are we reading it for?"-Franz Kafka

My Last.fm