daeth metal/deathcore iron cobras

Axis, DW, Pearl, Tama...

Moderator: Moderators

TheYardstick
groove master
groove master

Post Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:30 pm

Howepirate wrote:
Manzo wrote:shadows fall's drummer Jason Bittner (i think thats his name) uses cobras.

and pretty much any artist that is endorsed by tama. so probably dave lombardo uses them.

ason Bittner = Slow. I know he's a berklee grad but in my opinion, he's just another buttrock metal drummer. Good, but still buttrock.

Bittner can play 16ths at well above 200BPM.
"I think we ought to read only the kind of books that wound and stab us. If the book we are reading doesn't wake us up with a blow on the head, what are we reading it for?"-Franz Kafka

My Last.fm
Howepirate

Post Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:33 pm

So can I.

Didn't need berklee for it.

Whooooo
TheYardstick
groove master
groove master

Post Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:55 pm

Berklee doesn't teach that style of playing anyways.

If you can hold anything over 800BPM for a minute, you're a pretty fast double bass player.

You're quite the unreasonable person, aren't you?
"I think we ought to read only the kind of books that wound and stab us. If the book we are reading doesn't wake us up with a blow on the head, what are we reading it for?"-Franz Kafka

My Last.fm
Howepirate

Post Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:46 pm

TheYardstick wrote:Berklee doesn't teach that style of playing anyways.

If you can hold anything over 800BPM for a minute, you're a pretty fast double bass player.

You're quite the unreasonable person, aren't you?

No, I am just me. Go ahead and hate it.

I will always have my strong opinions and I will always provide a reason for anything to be or not to be.

I am certain that, in this world, the only thing that is certain is uncertainty and chance.

That's why I stick to who I yam.
TheYardstick
groove master
groove master

Post Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:05 pm

*whoosh*

My Last.fm
ShadowDrummer
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:40 am

I know this person isn't death metal, but if I'm not mistaken Raymond Herrera (Fear Factory) was on IC. Not sure if he still is (or I could be completely wrong and he never was. Last I checked he was on Tama Drums.)

In the event that Howe shoots me down on the matter:
I never really keep up with drummers set-up , maybe just glance at what drum brand and cymbals, but pedals not so much.
Pearl Drums

Paiste Cymbals

Vater Sticks

Evans Heads
fullmetaldrummer87
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:25 am

Raymond Herrera, yes, I believe he does play Cobras.
He plays alot of intricate footwork, really timing up with the guitars and the choppy riffs, mocking the rhythms, which I think is pretty cool. I feel his playing and style plays a very, very, integral, key part in Fear Factory's sound. Solid drummer, creative. I had the pleasure of watching him play live from 20 feet away from me or so, while I was standing on stage right, next to the bass player's rig, with some of the guys from Decapitated and Hypocrisy. It was when they were touring with Suffocation, Decapitated, and Hypocrisy back in 06. I met Ray when he got off stage. Cool guy.

Listen to Fear Factory's first album (well, he probably wasn't playing Cobra's then, since those pedals weren't around then), it's about as close to death metal as they got. Then Demanufacture came out, if I am correct and it delivered a big swift kick to the nuts felt all around the world. I love that album.
My guitar player ate Taco Bell with them at a music store while they were on tour in support of that album, haha. I thought that was rather odd.
Devindrummer12
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:28 pm

I believe Brett actually plays DW5000, believe it or not. By the way the drummer for the faceless is actually Lyle Cooper. Also, Hate Eternal, if you meant when it was D.R., he uses Axis not IC. Not a lot of bands use them, maybe for the same reason as me and that is that I find them clunky and I can barely break 280ish with them. Pearl Elims for me are where it's at, I've never actually played a direct drive besides my dad's old Speed king, but I hear the Axis and Trick do well for metal! :D
metldrummer2112
groove master
groove master

Post Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:33 pm

Devindrummer12 wrote:I believe Brett actually plays DW5000, believe it or not. By the way the drummer for the faceless is actually Lyle Cooper. Also, Hate Eternal, if you meant when it was D.R., he uses Axis not IC. Not a lot of bands use them, maybe for the same reason as me and that is that I find them clunky and I can barely break 280ish with them. Pearl Elims for me are where it's at, I've never actually played a direct drive besides my dad's old Speed king, but I hear the Axis and Trick do well for metal! :D

Oh yeah man, Axis are GREAT. I'm starting to learn the swivel technique (please don't roast me Scott! :P ) and they're smooth with it!
"Slaughter and Salvation, we bore two irreconcilable focuses."

"We dare speak the word, King Of Those Who Know."
Howepirate

Post Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:11 am

metldrummer2112 wrote:
Devindrummer12 wrote:I believe Brett actually plays DW5000, believe it or not. By the way the drummer for the faceless is actually Lyle Cooper. Also, Hate Eternal, if you meant when it was D.R., he uses Axis not IC. Not a lot of bands use them, maybe for the same reason as me and that is that I find them clunky and I can barely break 280ish with them. Pearl Elims for me are where it's at, I've never actually played a direct drive besides my dad's old Speed king, but I hear the Axis and Trick do well for metal! :D

Oh yeah man, Axis are GREAT. I'm starting to learn the swivel technique (please don't roast me Scott! :P ) and they're smooth with it!

It's not a technique ><! Lol, if you're talking about what George Kollias does, he'll tell you that he uses the ankles technique. The swivel is just a natural movement he gets into at high speeds for long durations
metldrummer2112
groove master
groove master

Post Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:23 pm

Howepirate wrote:
metldrummer2112 wrote:

It's not a technique ><! Lol, if you're talking about what George Kollias does, he'll tell you that he uses the ankles technique. The swivel is just a natural movement he gets into at high speeds for long durations

Well I really don't care what it's called, all that matters to me is that it works!

Howepirate

Post Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:25 pm

metldrummer2112 wrote:Well I really don't care what it's called, all that matters to me is that it works!

Absolutely, and that is the best mindset to have. Don't let ANYONE EVER criticize you for what you're doing.

I just like to clear up the swivel thing because everyone things Kollias is teh gawd of met4l drummers and they wanna learn his "technique" which is all in his ankles. ^^
metldrummer2112
groove master
groove master

Post Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:41 pm

Howepirate wrote:
metldrummer2112 wrote:Well I really don't care what it's called, all that matters to me is that it works!

Absolutely, and that is the best mindset to have. Don't let ANYONE EVER criticize you for what you're doing.

I just like to clear up the swivel thing because everyone things Kollias is teh gawd of met4l drummers and they wanna learn his "technique" which is all in his ankles. ^^

Wha!!? are you saying Kollias ISN'T god?!?!? haha!
Yeah swivel isn't making me any faster, it's just letting me play longer

Howepirate

Post Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:19 am

Well I meant that on the part of his technique. They think they'll learn swivel like Kollias and be a gawd like him. Really he just uses ankles :)
Alan_
groove master
groove master

Post Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:43 am

criticism isn't always a bad thing. I've learned a lot from someone more experienced than I am critiquing my technique.