Aquarian heads

Aquarian, Evans, Remo etc. All about drumheads.

Moderator: Moderators

screamkevin

Post Sun Dec 23, 2007 7:05 am

Sorry, guys, but I stand by what I said. And for the record, I play drums, guitar, bass, piano, and violin.
Me, My Story, and Pics Of My Drums:
http://www.saludacymbals.com/c/ksiegel.html
Endorsing Saluda Cymbals since 2006!
Howie is my homie. Word.
SGarrett

Post Sun Dec 23, 2007 7:41 am

screamkevin wrote:Sorry, guys, but I stand by what I said. And for the record, I play drums, guitar, bass, piano, and violin.

Well, I stand by what I say, too.
"If the goal is for me to give up my reality for your reality, then the goal is for me to give up my self for your self--a goal I have to reject."
m
groove master
groove master

Post Sun Dec 23, 2007 8:17 am

I'm curious about the tap test-
maybe I'm misunderstanding the issue, or missing some details, but it looks to me like the tap test as described on the Aquarian page has nothing to do with with the actual sound produced by an untensioned head, but rather the integrity of the head construction itself.

from their site:
"The Tap Test™ confirms that the collar height is even all around the head. Tuning is fast and easy because you don't have to spend extra time compensating for an uneven head. It also demonstrates that the head is level within the hoop. This also makes tuning easier. The Tap Test™ is the only way to test a drumhead before it goes on the drum. It means that you have a way, at last, to test for tone quality and consistency in drumheads."

Where it says this is a way to test for tone quality and consistency, I never took that to mean testing the actual tone, but that testing the consistency of the head would assure that whatever the tonal quality turns out to be, it'll be good.
I could be wrong about that, but that's how I understood it. Guess I'll fire off an email to Aquarian to see if they can elucidate.

Either way, they sound good on my drums so it's just an academic point to me.
SGarrett

Post Sun Dec 23, 2007 8:40 am

m wrote:I'm curious about the tap test-
maybe I'm misunderstanding the issue, or missing some details, but it looks to me like the tap test as described on the Aquarian page has nothing to do with with the actual sound produced by an untensioned head, but rather the integrity of the head construction itself.

from their site:
"The Tap Test™ confirms that the collar height is even all around the head. Tuning is fast and easy because you don't have to spend extra time compensating for an uneven head. It also demonstrates that the head is level within the hoop. This also makes tuning easier. The Tap Test™ is the only way to test a drumhead before it goes on the drum. It means that you have a way, at last, to test for tone quality and consistency in drumheads."

Where it says this is a way to test for tone quality and consistency, I never took that to mean testing the actual tone, but that testing the consistency of the head would assure that whatever the tonal quality turns out to be, it'll be good.
I could be wrong about that, but that's how I understood it. Guess I'll fire off an email to Aquarian to see if they can elucidate.

Either way, they sound good on my drums so it's just an academic point to me.

You're 100% correct. If the head doesn't sound good off the drum it won't sound good on the drum either.

Using the Pinstripe example again. You'll be able to hear if the head is dead, low, or high just by tapping the center and comparing to other Pinstripes of the same size. The difference in tone is Remo's inconstant quality control.
"If the goal is for me to give up my reality for your reality, then the goal is for me to give up my self for your self--a goal I have to reject."
fullmetaldrummer87
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sat Dec 29, 2007 10:10 pm

I swear by Aquarian
I've tried em all. Remo, Evans, Attack. Just didn't do it for me. Then I tried Aquarian and I was impressed and chose to stick with that.
Response 2's, coated Response 2 on snare drum (or power dot) Super kick 2 with a Danmar click pad on kick drum.

Oh yeah, the tap test does work. I've tried it quite a few times and it does in fact work.
drumur
session drummer
session drummer

Post Sun Dec 30, 2007 12:45 am

Using the Pinstripe example again. You'll be able to hear if the head is dead, low, or high just by tapping the center and comparing to other Pinstripes of the same size. The difference in tone is Remo's inconstant quality control.

If you hold the rim only and tap the center, you'll hear the tone of the head. With Pinstripes, some of the heads will be dead, some will ring, some will be low pitch, some will be high pitch, etc.
Yeah that is one of the drawbacks of Remo. I don't know why they haven't corrected this problem. All I know is, if I'm going to pay for a head, it better have tone before I put it on the drum. Why should I by the one with the deadest sound when I am looking to optimize resonance and sustain.