Aquarian heads

Aquarian, Evans, Remo etc. All about drumheads.

Moderator: Moderators

drummer912
session drummer
session drummer

Post Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:29 pm

I was thinking of getting some aquarian texture coated response II drum heads for my DW drums. I have heard good things about these heads, so do y'all have any testimonials?
Last edited by drummer912 on Fri Dec 14, 2007 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
DW drums and hardware
Sabian, Paiste and, of course, SALUDA cymbals
Aquarian drum heads
SGarrett

Post Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:19 pm

They're really good for a '70s sound but if you want more tone you'll probably want Response 2. I started with the Performance II and wasn't overly happy.
"If the goal is for me to give up my reality for your reality, then the goal is for me to give up my self for your self--a goal I have to reject."
pow3rtr1p
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:36 pm

I don't have any experience with the coated Performance IIs, but my clear Performance IIs have a great, low rock sound. I love them, but I'll probably experiment a bit when these get old.
Sonor Drums, Evans and Aquarian Heads, Saluda Cymbals, Vic Firth Sticks

14" Glory Hats, 16" Diamond Rock Crash (Cracked...), 22" Symbolic Ride
14" Pre-Aged Voodoo China
Maynardjames
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:41 am

iv used performance II's clear, G2's clear/coated, pinstripes, ambassater's clear/coated and emperors clear on my Dw kit and they all sound good but the clear G2's and clear Emperors are my fav. i prefer the remos just for the stronger rim over evans. Eq3 or powerstoke on bass. its only my opinion but i hope it helps.
Dw Collector's Series 10x8 12x9 14x11 16x13 22x18 Maple
Orange County Drum & Percussion Snare 14x6 10PLy Maple
Zildijan Custom A: 20' Ride, 16' Crash, 18' China, 14' HiHats
Zildijan Custom A Medium: 20' Ride, 17', 18' Proj, 18' Fast Crash
tomeleefan
beginner
beginner

Post Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:51 am

garbage! aquarian are by far the worst!
PistolCrockett
beginner
beginner

Post Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:52 am

Aquarian Drums heads are 2nd (second) to none! By far the best drum heads on the market.....

9 out 10 Drummers perfer Aquarian heads over any competitor product....Let me know if you find that 1 (one) uninformed drummer .....
writheindecay
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Dec 14, 2007 2:01 am

i must be uninformed.

ill stick with my pinstripes.
millsybaby
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Dec 14, 2007 2:29 am

Aquarian heads are by far the best out there! Build quality is undeniable, none of the "hand picking" issues you get with Remo. They tune up in a matter of minutes straight out of the box and they sound immense!

I've used virtually everything the have to offer for the heavier player and i'm in love with Super 2's - so open and crisp its unreal. They are however, very tuning sensitive so you do have to give them a check over before every gig but its well worth it. As durable as the emperors and G2's but with a sound that puts them to shame.
The Response 2's are also the mutts nuts, a much more controlled sound due to the weight, but they last and last and last - i had these on a gigging kit for over a year that was played by well over 100 drummers at gigs in that period and they sounded fantastic until the day i change them for Performance 2's for recording reasons. I'd use these heads on tour anyday, simple reason, i know i can trust them to take a beating and still sound great after it.
The Performance 2's are much heavier, duller heads. I'm not a fan of the sound they produce as i like a nice open tone, but any fan of pinstripes should definatley give them a once over simply for the fact they are more durable and to my ears do get more tone from the drum. As said above, a very vintage sound, but if its what you like go for it.

For DW's i'd go for Super 2's all the way though, get the most out of those shells both in volume and tone. Its worth a try, even if its just the classic "i'll get a head for my middle tom and see what its like".
pow3rtr1p
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Dec 14, 2007 8:51 am

Boy, I wish fanboys wouldn't have ruined this discussion... I guarantee 9 out of 10 drummers don't use Aquarian. In fact, a vast minority of people on this forum alone use Aquarian. Evans and Remo are much more commonly used, though I do see a lot of people use Remo or Evans for toms and snare, but a SK II, so that's a little different. Whether you love or hate Aquarian, I don't care, but don't make bogus claims to sound clever or better than everyone else..
Last edited by pow3rtr1p on Fri Dec 14, 2007 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sonor Drums, Evans and Aquarian Heads, Saluda Cymbals, Vic Firth Sticks

14" Glory Hats, 16" Diamond Rock Crash (Cracked...), 22" Symbolic Ride
14" Pre-Aged Voodoo China
drummer912
session drummer
session drummer

Post Fri Dec 14, 2007 8:59 am

SGarrett wrote:They're really good for a '70s sound but if you want more tone you'll probably want Response 2. I started with the Performance II and wasn't overly happy.
\

dang it, i meant to put response 2s in the post. my bad.
DW drums and hardware
Aquarian drum heads
alex 101
new
new

Post Fri Dec 14, 2007 2:23 pm

i have a dw kit myself and have tried the super 2's on it. overall it was a good low end sound, not exactly what they hype in the ads but good. i still prefer my clear evans g2's. for bass drum heads you still can't beat the superkick 2/regulator combo.
atroy
beginner
beginner

Post Fri Dec 14, 2007 5:03 pm

pow3rtr1p wrote:Boy, I wish fanboys wouldn't have ruined this discussion... I guarantee 9 out of 10 drummers don't use Aquarian. In fact, a vast minority of people on this forum alone use Aquarian. Evans and Remo are much more commonly used, though I do see a lot of people use Remo or Evans for toms and snare, but a SK II, so that's a little different. Whether you love or hate Aquarian, I don't care, but don't make bogus claims to sound clever or better than everyone else..

He's not throwing down facts. Sounds to me like he's just expressing his personal preference.

I do, however, appreciate your opinion on the heads.
SGarrett

Post Fri Dec 14, 2007 7:20 pm

drummer912 wrote:
SGarrett wrote:They're really good for a '70s sound but if you want more tone you'll probably want Response 2. I started with the Performance II and wasn't overly happy.
\

Oh, well then. :D

I use coated Response 2 heads with Hi-Frequency resonants and my toms sound big and full. I'd tell you to check out the third on my MySpace, but the drums aren't mixed well due to the fact that the engineer doesn't have much experience mixing live drums. The other two tracks have Coated Double-Thins, which turned out sounding like cardboard in the mix.
"If the goal is for me to give up my reality for your reality, then the goal is for me to give up my self for your self--a goal I have to reject."
drummer912
session drummer
session drummer

Post Sat Dec 15, 2007 12:52 pm

SGarrett wrote:
drummer912 wrote:
\

Oh, well then. :D

I use coated Response 2 heads with Hi-Frequency resonants and my toms sound big and full. I'd tell you to check out the third on my MySpace, but the drums aren't mixed well due to the fact that the engineer doesn't have much experience mixing live drums. The other two tracks have Coated Double-Thins, which turned out sounding like cardboard in the mix.

alright thanks alot man, im fixing to order the coated response 2s rite now actually.
DW drums and hardware
Aquarian drum heads
PistolCrockett
beginner
beginner

Post Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:37 pm

Since I'm not a :twisted: "Basher" I truly care about having complete "Tonal Control" of my sound. That being said, using Aquarian heads will ALWAYS be my first choice. Now on my 1976 (Bill) Zickos Pelxiglas Kit, I'm using EVANS (very dry sound)...Aquarian's won't fit...