Help me get head (s)..LOL

Aquarian, Evans, Remo etc. All about drumheads.

Moderator: Moderators

michiganice91
session drummer
session drummer

Post Sat Apr 14, 2007 11:41 am

I need some help picking out my heads..cuz i dont wanna make the wrong decision.

I currently have remo emporor coated heads on all my toms. I have my original ludwig snare head...and an aquarian super kick 2 bass head.

I dont need to replace the bass head...but i want new heads on my toms/snare because i feel as if theyre not dampened enough.

I like to play classic rock, hard rock, and old school metal (80's GNR and RATT type stuff)..so i want to get my toms to sound more like those music styles.

I am thinking about looking at the remo pinstripes..and the evans hydraulics....but what do u guys recommend for the style of music i want to play?
michiganice91
session drummer
session drummer

Post Sat Apr 14, 2007 4:56 pm

anybody :cry:
drummert2k

Post Sat Apr 14, 2007 5:17 pm

i'd say if emporers arent doing it for you look into pinstripes ( which i am currently using. my band plays heavy rock/semi metal stuff and they work great) or evans g2's. if you get them tuned up and still not thumpy enough for ya slap a moongel on there.
michiganice91
session drummer
session drummer

Post Sat Apr 14, 2007 5:29 pm

lol..i got the aquarian studio rings...they work well instead of moonjellies...so no hydros?
m
groove master
groove master

Post Sat Apr 14, 2007 5:50 pm

the Evans site describes the Hydraulic heads like this:

Hydraulics feature two plies that sandwich a thin layer of oil and give the fat, wet sound that was pioneered in the 70's. The oil decreases sustain and enhances attack and low-end.

I used hydraulics many years ago, I remember them having a bit of a dull thud. Haven't used them lately.
Rockula!
groove master
groove master

Post Sat Apr 14, 2007 7:43 pm

Definately the pinstripe
You say irritant, I say catalyst