drum dial showing something really wierd on my tom

Aquarian, Evans, Remo etc. All about drumheads.

Moderator: Moderators

Miketh
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:59 am

I've always just tuned by ear and did pretty good, got flat decay out of my toms.

I just bought a drumdial to further enhance my tuning, but it's giving me strange readings and I'm wondering if something is wrong with my 14" tom.

Basically, it has 8 lugs, and 4 of them are always at much lower tension than the others, and if I tighten the lower ones, even just a little, they send the others way up. If you can picture the tom, the 4 in question make a + across the drum head, with the higher 4 making an x

I was going to try and get them at all like 72 tension, but to get the lower 4 at that tension, I have to really crank them, and then the other 4 could be completely unscrewed and still show a tension of like 76 or something.

It's really wierd, and I'm not sure where to begin troubleshooting this problem. Does it sound like I just seated it wrong? Or does it sound like the drum is f'ed up?
ThePloughman
session drummer
session drummer

Post Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:15 pm

Thats a drumdial for ya.
ThePloughman

ThePloughman wrote:Duct Tape, Moongells, and Remos...... with pinstripes

Rogers Drums USA

Check this out
http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/showt ... p?t=196158
teeprovo
new
new

Post Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:15 pm

How close are you placing the dial to the rim of the drum? I had that same problem. I was told that its best to put a finger spacing from the rim and I also pick the dial up and place it back down again . I go with the common after a few tries. It sounds like a lot of work, but thats the down fall of the dial.
AmnestysLowEnd
session drummer
session drummer

Post Wed May 05, 2010 12:15 pm

Take the heads off the drum and put it on a glass table, then try to slip a business card under the edge. If you are able to your edges aren't true and that is why your readings vary and will not even out. I found out with my 16" floor tom's edges are flawed in 3 places, each about 3 inches long.
7 piece Pearl EXR
Saluda cymbals
Miketh
beginner
beginner

Post Wed May 12, 2010 10:28 am

Well, I haven't tried the business card thing yet, but I did play a show this weekend and my 14" sounded fine.

Basically, I reseated and tuned by ear. I noticed that even tuning by ear I seem to have tighten some lugs more than others.

The odd thing being that I got it to play with good tone, sustain, and without distortion. I'll have to try the business card thing for the edge next time I change heads. I'll be pretty sad if it turns out my edges aren't true as I've only had the drums for a couple years. =(
AmnestysLowEnd
session drummer
session drummer

Post Wed May 12, 2010 10:54 pm

years don't play to much of a factor if your careful with your drums, but if they were made over seas chances are the edges aren't going to be prefect. You can always recut them and anyone with a router and decent woodworking skills can do this.
7 piece Pearl EXR
Saluda cymbals