overtones ?

Aquarian, Evans, Remo etc. All about drumheads.

Moderator: Moderators

REMOnstrate
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:42 am

just a quick question :), I was wondering if you guys thought a cheapo resonant snare side could cause hideous overtones in the snare drum ?
cheers
I go all the way up to 111

Mapex M birch 6 piece
Aquarian
Zildjian 5A
Zildjan ZBTs (I am poor) plus the most amazing china I have ever heard :)
Big Dog Pro double pedal
kansasdrummer
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:57 pm

well..i do know a good snare side head will do wonders. if that tells you anything.
SGarrett

Post Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:08 pm

The hideous overtones are usually a result of uneven tuning. Cheap heads just sound cheap. :)
"If the goal is for me to give up my reality for your reality, then the goal is for me to give up my self for your self--a goal I have to reject."
REMOnstrate
beginner
beginner

Post Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:49 am

cool cool, thanks for the help guys, i might just replace the head anyways, the tuning thing will take time, still not so hot at it but as they say practice makes perfect. :)

Mapex M birch 6 piece
Aquarian
Zildjian 5A
Big Dog Pro double pedal
SGarrett

Post Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:57 am

Great attitude, man! (not sarcasm)

I'll just change one thing about your post, perfect practice makes perfect. In other words, always strive for your best and don't settle. :)
"If the goal is for me to give up my reality for your reality, then the goal is for me to give up my self for your self--a goal I have to reject."
REMOnstrate
beginner
beginner

Post Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:10 pm

:D thanks, i know the tone of a typed message can be difficult to judge but i wouldnt have thought it was sarcasm coming from you man least of all :), i've been a long time reader and all the posts from you ive seen have been clear, concise and full of the most fantasic advice and info, nope you can never settle for 2nd best specially if you wanna play to the top of your game :)

Mapex M birch 6 piece
Aquarian
Zildjian 5A
Big Dog Pro double pedal
SGarrett

Post Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:44 pm

Um. Wow. Thanks, man. :shock: :)
ShadowDrummer
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:02 pm

Out of curiosity which heads do you have?
Pearl Drums

Paiste Cymbals

Vater Sticks

Evans Heads
Alan_
groove master
groove master

Post Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:26 am

old post, but I'll bite. :)

I've always personally used the standard Remo Diplomat or Ambassador (if they're out of diplomats), occasionally a Ludwig. so far so great. maybe some day I'll branch out and see what the aquarian snare side heads are like, didn't like the two different evans ones I tried.

I think with a snare-side head, pretty much any brand will produce a decent sound. it's more down to how you tune it and how you have your snares set up. make sure the snare head's tight enough without being like a glass tabletop (just an infintesemal amount of give), and make sure your snares are tight enough to not rattle when you breathe on them yet not so tight as to choke when you hit harder. If the snare drum doesn't have pronounced snare beds (indentation in the bearing edge where the snares connect to the drum), you might consider loosening the lugs on either side of where the snares connect just a teensy bit if you're having problems with buzz.

one thing to consider also is the pitch of your toms versus your snare drum. if the pitch of one of your toms (usually this will be a 10 or 12 inch) is close to the pitch of your snare, hitting the tom will cause your snares to rattle. move the pitch of one or the other.

if it doesn't sound right, keep at it until you like it.