Stock Reso heads?

Aquarian, Evans, Remo etc. All about drumheads.

Moderator: Moderators

meinldude69
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:31 pm

does having stock reso heads affect the way my toms can sound?

i have Response IIs on my batters and stock, factory heads that came with the pearl, for reso heads

could it be robbing my toms of it's fullest potential?

or am i just crazy...

keep in mind that my set is poplar (Pearl Forum)

that being said, do my toms even have potential?
pearl forum
meinl/zildjian cymbals
remo, evans, and aquarian heads
vater stix
SGarrett

Post Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:49 pm

Yep, the stock resonant heads are cost saving heads just like the batter heads. :)
"If the goal is for me to give up my reality for your reality, then the goal is for me to give up my self for your self--a goal I have to reject."
dannycareyisgod
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:58 am

you can make a GREAT difference in sound by replacing the reso heads with a good evans 1 ply head. i recently did it with my toms and it makes a big difference.
Gretsch Catalina Maple-------> 22" x 18" bass, 10" x 8" and 12" x 9" toms, 14" x 14" floor tom, 16" x 16" floor tom, 6" x 14" snare.

Zildjian A Customs-------> 20" ride, 16" crash, 18" fast crash, 14" hi-hats.
bigtone23
beginner
beginner

Post Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:04 am

dannycareyisgod wrote:you can make a GREAT difference in sound by replacing the reso heads with a good evans 1 ply head. i recently did it with my toms and it makes a big difference.

Agreed, the stock heads are bright and brittle sounding. G1s or Ambassadors will really tone up the drums. Aquarian Classic Clears add low punch and sustain.
dannycareyisgod
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:48 am

bigtone23 wrote:
dannycareyisgod wrote:you can make a GREAT difference in sound by replacing the reso heads with a good evans 1 ply head. i recently did it with my toms and it makes a big difference.

Agreed, the stock heads are bright and brittle sounding. G1s or Ambassadors will really tone up the drums. Aquarian Classic Clears add low punch and sustain.

Are Aquarian heads really what everyone says they are? I've never really given them a chance.
Gretsch Catalina Maple-------> 22" x 18" bass, 10" x 8" and 12" x 9" toms, 14" x 14" floor tom, 16" x 16" floor tom, 6" x 14" snare.

Zildjian A Customs-------> 20" ride, 16" crash, 18" fast crash, 14" hi-hats.
metldrummer2112
groove master
groove master

Post Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:08 am

dannycareyisgod wrote:
bigtone23 wrote:

Are Aquarian heads really what everyone says they are? I've never really given them a chance.

There are a couple people on here who use Aquarian and love them. I'm pretty sure Scott uses them. I've heard them and used them before, they're pretty good heads.
"Slaughter and Salvation, we bore two irreconcilable focuses."

"We dare speak the word, King Of Those Who Know."
SGarrett

Post Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:13 am

Aye laddy, I use Aquarian. :)

They're more consistent from head to head than Remo and hold their tuning better than Evans. Anyone who uses Remo has gotten a set of heads where one just didn't sound right compared to the others, either brighter or drier. There are natural variances in the tone of Aquarian heads, but nowhere near as wide. With Evans, their counter hoops aren't connected which allows the head to flex too much which results in them going out of tune more easily and wearing out more quickly.
"If the goal is for me to give up my reality for your reality, then the goal is for me to give up my self for your self--a goal I have to reject."
ForeverThePariah
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:55 am

I also use all Aquarian, Iv used both Remo and Evans in the past.

You have responce II's on there, get some classic clear for the reso and you will fall in love with your drums all over again.

- Yes, Aquarians are what people say they are and if you ask me, they are the most underrated and underused brand as far as the big three go, I just dont see what people love about remo.
Tama SK Hyper Drive in Brushed Vintage Blue (22, 10, 12, 14, 16)
-14" Tama SK Snare
-13" Custom Painted Pearl Joey Jordison Snare
-13" Yamaha Musashi
Meinl Cymbals
Evans Heads
Vater Sticks
audiotech
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:08 pm

I just bought a Gretsch Renown maple kit a couple of weeks ago. The kit came with Evans G2 clear batter heads and some unknown type of reso heads without any type of logo to specify what type and who made them. The only thing I know for sure is that they were very thin, thinner than a single ply G1 head. Before I tuned the drums for the first time, I replaced all the tom's reso heads with Evans G1 clears. The drums sound fantastic with great resonance and low bottom end.

Dennis