What's your favorite head and on which drum?

Aquarian, Evans, Remo etc. All about drumheads.

Moderator: Moderators

screamkevin

Post Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:49 am

Snare: Evans Coated ST Dry on batter, Evans 300 Hazy on snare

Toms: Evans G2 Clear on batter, Evans Clear G1 on reso.

Kicks: Evans EMAD on batter, custom logo heads on reso.
Me, My Story, and Pics Of My Drums:
http://www.saludacymbals.com/c/ksiegel.html
Endorsing Saluda Cymbals since 2006!
Howie is my homie. Word.
Brian L
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:35 pm

remo emperor x(but im about to try out evans maybe)
evens emad 2 on the kick. havent really found my true love for any tom tom heads. but imma try coated remos next or maybe coated evans. havent had much luck with clear ec2s or pinstripes.
2008 Pearl Forum(black)
Ddrum s2 maple snare(black fade)
Remo Coated Emperor snare head
Remo Pinstripes
Evans Emad 2
Tama Road Pro Pedals
Zildjian crashes
Sabian high hat and ride
PDP/Pearl hardware
Alan_
groove master
groove master

Post Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:55 am

lately, I've been using Aquarian Modern Vintage Mediums on snare and toms, aquarian superkick on kick. I like Remo Diplomats for resonant side heads, and an aquarian ported black head on the front of the kick drum (the one with the circle of tape around the middle of the head).
Brian L
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue May 05, 2009 8:34 pm

so far i gotta say im most satisfied with my emad 2 bass head. its been on two drumsets now, and its still going great.
2008 Pearl Forum(black)
Ddrum s2 maple snare(black fade)
Remo Coated Emperor snare head
Remo Pinstripes
Evans Emad 2
Tama Road Pro Pedals
Zildjian crashes
Sabian high hat and ride
PDP/Pearl hardware
Jayson_X
beginner
beginner

Post Wed May 20, 2009 9:42 am

The last time I changed heads was last summer because I got fed up with the Remo Pinstripes (they don't sound right to me). I replaced them with Aquarian Performance IIs and Classic Clears on all my toms. I love the low, punchy sound that these drumheads can produce with standard 10-12-14 toms, but there seems to be this annoying "waw" sound every time I hit the high tom. Is it normal? If so, these may be the best heads I've ever used for my toms.

I don't really like single-ply bass heads because they always break on me, so I bought a Super Kick 2 and a Regulator front head for my bass, and it's quite surprising how muted it sounds with no muffling. Every time I hit my bass, the low bass frequencies just fill every corner of my room -- these heads sound big. But since I play fast double bass, I had to eliminate the extra resonance by placing a sausage pillow in the bass (touching the reso) and placing a Remo Falam Slam on the batter.

Now for the snare. hmm... I currently use the Emperor X and the clear ambassador snare side head on my Vinnie Paul snare. I get the snare sound that I've been looking for with these heads. I'm considering changing them for a Hi-energy/High-performance snare side combination. what do you guys think?

So those are my favorite drum heads. sorry for wasting a lot of your time haha.
DRUMSMYWIFE
groove master
groove master
Location: Chula Vista, (A community within San Diego) California

Post Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:12 am

Definitely, my Pearl Vision SensiTone Steel Snare Drum(14X5.5), fitted with an Evans 14" HD Batter heaad, or my big booomy, phat Pearl VX Vision in Jet Black with an 8 ply birch bass drum, fitted with a Evans 22" Hydraulic head and Gorilla Tape under clear Electrical tape. It gets a good deep sound without a pillow.
TheYardstick
groove master
groove master

Post Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:45 am

I really loved my Aquarian Powerhouse head on my snare I had for a long time until the rim got warped somehow.

I've recently fallen in love with an Ebony Ambassador I recently acquired for my snare.

I use Powerstroke IIIs on my bass drums and love the open, booming sound. It's like thunder.
"I think we ought to read only the kind of books that wound and stab us. If the book we are reading doesn't wake us up with a blow on the head, what are we reading it for?"-Franz Kafka

My Last.fm
Alan_
groove master
groove master

Post Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:31 pm

that "waw" sound described earlier could be from having the resonant side head tuned lower than the batter. or, the batter head could just be THAT loose. try tightening up the resonant, and if that doesn't work try tightening up the batter a little.
Brother_Bong
groove master
groove master

Post Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:25 pm

The only ones I've settled on for keeps is an EQ3 on the bass, and a Evans Genera HD on my aux snare. The rest is STILL under investigation. On my Mapex I'm still running pinstripes, with with the EQ3, and a reverse power dot on the snare. I am soon buying EQ3s for the big kit(MM). I just haven't figured out tom heads................I'm thinking Ec1 or Ec2.
MEDICINE MAN AZ Endorsed, TRICK PEDALS, ZILDJIAN, SABIAN, SALUDA, SUPERNATURALS, ASAPH, WUHAN, SILVERFOX, BUD LIGHT

I love Cheese and drums
groove master
groove master

Post Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:48 pm

I change my mind Emad 2 on my bass is awesomeescpecially with the Emad resonant. I'd also like to try the Gmad or whatever it is.
Hey My names Dave
Slingerland, Yamaha, and Mapex drums
Saluda Cymbals
I want a Medicine Man Snare

Visit http://www.myspace.com/onceforgotten18 and listen to their new song Our Darkest Desires!