They don't like to talk about heads here

Aquarian, Evans, Remo etc. All about drumheads.

Moderator: Moderators

User avatar
Opopanax
drumming adept
drumming adept
Posts: 342
Joined: Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:25 am
Location: Northeast US

Post Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:19 am

So remember that before asking for advice on which heads for runk? Rock? Blues? Jazz?

They'll say "Drum Tuning Bible" and they're right. But a certain degree of experimentation is often needed to get your drums to sound like you WANT them to, not just good, or.. better..
User avatar
Opopanax
drumming adept
drumming adept
Posts: 342
Joined: Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:25 am
Location: Northeast US

Post Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:19 am

Yes, we play runk.
User avatar
kylevater
groove master
groove master
Posts: 2202
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2007 9:33 am
Location: key west, fl

Post Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:28 am

umm, what?
It's challenging you: Image
User avatar
ThePloughman
session drummer
session drummer
Posts: 729
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2007 7:19 pm

Post Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:55 am

Experimentation is a luxury most of you guys cannot afford. I cant either for that matter. Thats why the exchange of ideas, and experiences is so very important. I dont have the funds readily available to buy 5 or 6 or 8 different head sets and try them out to find I dont like them. In order for a persons experience with a given head or combination to work, and because the opinion and value of the experience is so subjective, its important that person complaining about the sound he gets from pinstripes, or EC2s...... or whatever, actually has an experience base worthy of an opinion. I havent noticed a dislike in discussing those things. I have noticed a lot of ...... How do I make my drums sound like Travis on Song X on CD X. And yes, not necessarily Travis or any particular drummer. Just kids living with the fantasy drum sound, not even considering what was done to make that sound.

When a person starts asking head questions, it becomes readily obvious whether there is any experience basis there to work with. Just like my signature quote says........
ThePloughman

ThePloughman wrote:Duct Tape, Moongells, and Remos...... with pinstripes


Rogers Drums USA

Check this out
http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/showt ... p?t=196158
User avatar
Opopanax
drumming adept
drumming adept
Posts: 342
Joined: Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:25 am
Location: Northeast US

Post Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:27 am

re: runk.. I mistyped 'funk' in my first post, see..

Well said, ploughman.

I don't have the money to try out every head either. Before I got my full acoustic kit, I read the drum tuning bible several times. Before I did that, I got a snare and learned a little bit about tuning.

When I did get my full set, I tried pinstripes on my toms, then tried a coated head from my timbale snare on the rack tom. I tried both with various tunings and mufflings before trying the Hydraulic heads. No muffling, and similar tuning gets me just what I wanted. Granted, my experience with acoustic drums is quite limited but I do have something of an understanding of what gets me the sound I want or the one I don't want.
User avatar
Alan_
groove master
groove master
Posts: 4204
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:47 am
Location: austin, tx

Post Sun Jun 01, 2008 12:43 pm

personally, I'm still sold on ambassadors or emperors, depending on how flat or lively I want the drums to sound. clear on toms and kick (always an emperor on kick batter), coated on snare. always ambassador snare side head. I don't like heads that cut the natural tone with muffling devices. if I need it a li'l flatter, it's moongel time.
SGarrett
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 5166
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:59 am

Post Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:17 pm

What I always say is this. Do you need to find your perfect sound today or are willing to take the journey to find your perfect sound? The easiest, and most cost effective, way to do that is by only buying one head at a time instead of an entire set. If there's a head you want to try, just buy it for your smallest tom and try it out there. A 10" tom head is usually $10-12. If you like, buy them for the rest of your kit. If not, you're only out $10-12 and one head. But on the flip side, you'll have found something that doesn't work which will narrow down the choices that do work. This is essentially how Edison invented the light bulb. He didn't find one thing that worked, he found 1000 things that didn't work by daring to experiment. :)
"If the goal is for me to give up my reality for your reality, then the goal is for me to give up my self for your self--a goal I have to reject."
User avatar
Mitchell?
groove master
groove master
Posts: 2432
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 6:13 pm
Location: Lexington, KY

Post Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:19 pm

^^ Exactly! What a great quote too...
_...:::/ Jimbob2020 agrees \:::..._
ImageImageImage
User avatar
skitch
session drummer
session drummer
Posts: 816
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:20 pm
Location: www.dominoretroplate.com

Post Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:56 pm

SGarrett wrote:What I always say is this. Do you need to find your perfect sound today or are willing to take the journey to find your perfect sound? The easiest, and most cost effective, way to do that is by only buying one head at a time instead of an entire set. If there's a head you want to try, just buy it for your smallest tom and try it out there. A 10" tom head is usually $10-12. If you like, buy them for the rest of your kit. If not, you're only out $10-12 and one head. But on the flip side, you'll have found something that doesn't work which will narrow down the choices that do work. This is essentially how Edison invented the light bulb. He didn't find one thing that worked, he found 1000 things that didn't work by daring to experiment. :)


Well said - I was going to suggest taking a 12" tom and experimenting with different heads.
User avatar
xdoseonex
groove master
groove master
Posts: 3889
Joined: Thu Dec 28, 2006 2:07 pm
Location: New York

Post Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:21 pm

ThePloughman wrote:Experimentation is a luxury most of you guys cannot afford. I cant either for that matter. Thats why the exchange of ideas, and experiences is so very important. I dont have the funds readily available to buy 5 or 6 or 8 different head sets and try them out to find I dont like them. In order for a persons experience with a given head or combination to work, and because the opinion and value of the experience is so subjective, its important that person complaining about the sound he gets from pinstripes, or EC2s...... or whatever, actually has an experience base worthy of an opinion. I havent noticed a dislike in discussing those things. I have noticed a lot of ...... How do I make my drums sound like Travis on Song X on CD X. And yes, not necessarily Travis or any particular drummer. Just kids living with the fantasy drum sound, not even considering what was done to make that sound.

When a person starts asking head questions, it becomes readily obvious whether there is any experience basis there to work with. Just like my signature quote says........


they have to be coated pinstripes.
Proud to endorse TRICK Percussion
Image
User avatar
Gretschman1
drumming adept
drumming adept
Posts: 251
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:55 pm
Location: Deshler, Nebraska

Post Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:00 am

Iv'e been playing around with different things, I went from G2s to EC2s back all the way to coated G1s Now I've hit a happy medium with EC1 coated. Just keep experimenting till you find what you like.
David White
Gretsch Renown Maple
Pacific CXR
Pork Pie BOB Snare
Alesis DM5 Pro
Paiste and Sabian Cymbals
http://www.easystreetband.biz
User avatar
Opopanax
drumming adept
drumming adept
Posts: 342
Joined: Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:25 am
Location: Northeast US

Post Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:27 am

OK, I humbly eat my words.

You guys like to talk plenty about heads and I regret saying you don't.

But xdoseonex, what do you mean by they have to be coated pinstripes?
User avatar
Mitchell?
groove master
groove master
Posts: 2432
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 6:13 pm
Location: Lexington, KY

Post Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:38 am

Opopanax wrote:OK, I humbly eat my words.

You guys like to talk plenty about heads and I regret saying you don't.

But xdoseonex, what do you mean by they have to be coated pinstripes?


For the Ploughman's signature quote:

Duct Tape, Moongells, and Remos...... with pinstripes
_...:::/ Jimbob2020 agrees \:::..._
ImageImageImage