Remo Pinstripe / Remo Powerstroke 3

Aquarian, Evans, Remo etc. All about drumheads.

Moderator: Moderators

GALLUCH1215
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:27 pm

I'm reconstructing my old Taye drum set with new cymbals, heads, and hardware because I just got into drumming and only had the set for occassionally use. I'm on a really tight budget so I'm looking for bang for my buck and I was looking on musiciansfriend.com and saw a Remo Drumhead Pack and saw one with a 12", 13", and a 16" Pinstripe for my toms and a 14" Powerstroke 3 Coated head for my snare. My old ones are dented and I'm afraid they'll get worse and loose all they're sound.

My main question though it's how do they sound? I play more metal, hard rock, hardcore music and want them to sound heavy. My second question is how durable are they? I can't control my strength sometimes and I like to hit a little hard and this lead to little dents in my old heads I've hit lighter ever since but they keep on denting which changes the sound. I really need help with this as I've only been drumming for the past 2 months and I plan on drumming for a long time because every time I play I love playing even more.

Here's the link if you want it:
http://www.drumsmylife.com/buy/remo-pin ... nare-head/
Current: Taye Beginner Set - Sabian B8/APX - PDP Hardware
Future: Taye Beginner Set - Sabian AA - Zildjian EFX - DW Hardware
Lancelot Frosty
session drummer
session drummer

Post Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:39 pm

You can't go wrong with the Pinstripes in my opinion. Big and thumpy, not too much overtones.
I suggest that you fix the lack of control though. Control on the kit is a big part of drumming and it'll help you lots to get it down. :)
Take care now.
Original Frosty.
skitch
session drummer
session drummer

Post Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:46 pm

You should give them a try! The only thing about the PS3 in that the coating has a tendency to wear off. If it is the PS3 with the dot you should be in great shape, though!
AmnestysLowEnd
session drummer
session drummer

Post Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:56 pm

the PS3 sucks it will dish out in a couple of days
7 piece Pearl EXR
Saluda cymbals
whatwouldNPHdo
beginner
beginner

Post Wed May 07, 2008 11:50 am

i totally agree with learning control behind your kit. but then again, there are times when your heads take a beating, especially your snare. and if your looking for durability, definitely go with remo emperor x. basically a coated remo emperor head with a milar dot on the reverse side. i have this on my gretsch catalina kit, and i love the sound
drumur
session drummer
session drummer

Post Sun May 11, 2008 9:46 pm

remo emperor X is very durable and sounds great.
the Powerstroke is one ply.
kndrummer
beginner
beginner

Post Fri May 16, 2008 8:53 am

hey speaking of pinstripes, what would be some good resonant heads to compliment them to sound good in gospel, rock, funk, r&b and comteporary jazz
Alan_
groove master
groove master

Post Fri May 16, 2008 9:02 am

I generally go with diplomats for resonant heads, but ambassadors work great too.
Brian L
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:39 am

i agree with whoever said the emperor x was more durable with the powerstroke 3 snare head. i have two snares and i use the one with the emperor on it way more, and its lasted along time. i love it. as for the pinstripes i want to try those next. but i have the weatherking emperors right now and they do just fine with stock bottom heads. but yeah...whats the pros and cons for coated and clearn heads? whats the difference in sound?
2008 Pearl Forum(black)
Ddrum s2 maple snare(black fade)
Remo Coated Emperor snare head
Remo Pinstripes
Evans Emad 2
Tama Road Pro Pedals
Zildjian crashes
Sabian high hat and ride
PDP/Pearl hardware
Mitchell?
groove master
groove master

Post Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:20 pm

Brian L wrote:i agree with whoever said the emperor x was more durable with the powerstroke 3 snare head. i have two snares and i use the one with the emperor on it way more, and its lasted along time. i love it. as for the pinstripes i want to try those next. but i have the weatherking emperors right now and they do just fine with stock bottom heads. but yeah...whats the pros and cons for coated and clearn heads? whats the difference in sound?

Clear heads have more high-end attack, and they're bright, whereas coated heads have less attack, and they sound warm and full.
_...:::/ Jimbob2020 agrees \:::..._
ImageImageImage
SlackBackLazy
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:52 pm

Talking about emperor x heads, I had one on my snare and, (well just my opinion) I hated it, it just wasnt the sound i was looking for, I switched it back for the head that came with the kit in like a month!
My favourite word is badass

Mapex M birch - purple
Paiste - Alpha hats and ride, 2002 crash, twenty splash