Stock heads and tuning

Aquarian, Evans, Remo etc. All about drumheads.

Moderator: Moderators

Brian L
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:02 pm

I just got my Pearl Forum kit. I havent had the chance to sit down and tune my drums. Considering this is my second kit, my first kit i didnt get much experience tuning because my friends just came over and tuned it themselves. Now that I have a brand new kit, i'm really wanting to know how to tune by myself. I'm having trouble with the snare mostly, right now its just a really loud crack, cant get it to sound good. How can i get more of a warm kinda sound, good for rock and soft rock? bottom head and top head adjustments? i have a drum dial but dont know exactly how to get what i want. help with tom and floor tom would help to. i'm pretty much lost tuning.
2008 Pearl Forum(black)
Ddrum s2 maple snare(black fade)
Remo Coated Emperor snare head
Remo Pinstripes
Evans Emad 2
Tama Road Pro Pedals
Zildjian crashes
Sabian high hat and ride
PDP/Pearl hardware
lozza23_uk
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:31 am

this is for everyone...not just new players/new tuners.

http://home.earthlink.net/~prof.sound/
BillRayDrums
Member Of The Year 2010
Member Of The Year 2010

Post Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:33 am

lozza23_uk wrote:this is for everyone...not just new players/new tuners.

http://home.earthlink.net/~prof.sound/

Brilliant!! This link should be made sticky. That's a great comprehensive resource.
lozza23_uk
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:39 am

it certainly is.

now ifI only ever had time to tune my drums...... ;-)

hate having to cart my kit around all the time. never gets time for a full setup and tune. only if I am blitzing a full skin pack.

no-one would ever notice live anyway. hi tom low tom kick and snare. all fairly simple and always sounds ok.
BillRayDrums
Member Of The Year 2010
Member Of The Year 2010

Post Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:46 am

lozza23_uk wrote:it certainly is.

now ifI only ever had time to tune my drums...... ;-)

hate having to cart my kit around all the time. never gets time for a full setup and tune. only if I am blitzing a full skin pack.

no-one would ever notice live anyway. hi tom low tom kick and snare. all fairly simple and always sounds ok.

You sound like a workin' mofo.....I echo the same sentiments!

Tonight was as tedious as stackin' jello. This one guy I work with is by far the BUSIEST guy in town (with this muthafrickin' recession starting to creep in I'll play chopsticks for a buck) but man, it's like the same song over and over and over......hard to find that "open V" (Canoe talk) in terms of developing form and structure when it's all like driving in circles....

But the swing dancers lurrrrrve him (shuffles that go on for days yawn...I mean oh boy!!) and that sells the lovely alcohol that pays our bills. Ethanol for all of us! Yay!
lozza23_uk
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:00 am

i wouldn't say a working drummer :) more of a hobiest with no-where to have a permanent kit setup.

I practice electronically, and use my ageing export for gigs. of course at my level a gig consists of getting there after work, setting up, soundchecking, handing my kit over to an unknown entity to batter after me, and so it goes. then getting on stage at 10 to rearrange it all and make sure nothing has fallen apart :)

this kit has survived more than it was ever specced for. it is a machine!!! :)

i can understand your pain, work is work though...pays the bills and fingers crossed enjoy life a little.

a quote for you Bill

"We need these machines to stay alive, We need these prisons to be free, We need to suffer so that, We can buy a little harmony" - Darren "Wiz" Brown. RIP.
shine.fm-youth
groove master
groove master

Post Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:51 am

garrett made it a sticky out of a post i made concerning everyone asking
"how can i get my drums to sound like "enter favorite drummer"

anyway it's in the "heads" section
Eleven22
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:54 am

:lol: I'm laughing because I use to have the same problem, no time for tuning, it use to take me a good 1-2 hrs to tune my drums. One day my friends kid came over to talk to me about drums. He just got a new set and was learning how to do things. He wanted to learn how to tune his new set so he brought 2 drums over and a drum dialer. I started laughing and started showing him how to tune using the thump method. He starts telling me about this dialer he bought and how he read up all this crap about it. so I said ok well lets try it on your second drum and see how it turns out. I was floored! It worked like a charm I have never had success with drum tuner. Well previously I used a tension tuner, but this one measures the tention on the skin itself. I went out bought me one of these drum dialers for myself to try it out on my kit. I first tuned by hand , and got the tension that I like , and get this I even had to adjust a little of my own tuning since all the areas were not perfectly matched. A few weeks latter I replaced all my head used my specs I wrote down with the drum dialer I tuned the entire kit in less than an hour. Sounds perfect. you guys may want to try one out. I check all my heads before any gig I do just to make sure Im dead on.
Mapex drums
instanbul
Roland V-drums
Hand percussionist
DRUMSMYWIFE
groove master
groove master
Location: Chula Vista, (A community within San Diego) California

Post Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:59 pm

First off, get some new heads it will make life much easier!
SGarrett

Post Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:31 pm

I tune my drums pretty much every day I play them. The more you do it the faster you get at it.
"If the goal is for me to give up my reality for your reality, then the goal is for me to give up my self for your self--a goal I have to reject."
Mark Threat
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:46 pm

Has anybody used the Pearl Protone heads?

I'm picking up a Pearl Vision VLX next week and those are the stocks on it.
Mitchell?
groove master
groove master

Post Sun Apr 27, 2008 6:24 am

Mark Threat wrote:Has anybody used the Pearl Protone heads?

I'm picking up a Pearl Vision VLX next week and those are the stocks on it.

My school left the Pro-Tones on our Export and the toms sound good with good tuning.
blink44
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Apr 27, 2008 5:40 pm

lol, i just bought a pearl forum set last week.
Brian L
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sat Sep 13, 2008 3:58 pm

i got rid of all the stock heads and got Pinstripes, emperor x, emad 2, and now the kit is so nice. love playing it. I wish i could get a chance to use it for a live concert. it projects so well. anyways, pearl protones cant handle that much. I'm not that hard of a hitter and the tom head was dented in a day. Stock heads suck in my opinion. maybe except the DW heads. People seem to leave those on along time.
2008 Pearl Forum(black)
Ddrum s2 maple snare(black fade)
Remo Coated Emperor snare head
Remo Pinstripes
Evans Emad 2
Tama Road Pro Pedals
Zildjian crashes
Sabian high hat and ride
PDP/Pearl hardware
blink44
drumming adept
drumming adept