Drum Tuning Info.

Aquarian, Evans, Remo etc. All about drumheads.

Moderator: Moderators

shine.fm-youth
groove master
groove master

Post Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:47 pm

their has been post after post about tuning
how to tune
how to get the sound of some one else's snare
"i want my toms to sound like this"

so i'm just throwing this out there
this isn't suppose to be mean or directed to anybody
it's for everyone

here's a link to the infamous "tuning bible"
http://home.earthlink.net/~prof.sound/

everything you ever need to know about tuning your drums
it goes through every drum
the best way to do it
and different tips for different sounds

and one other thing that people over look
when you get new heads
you need to "crack" the glue along the edge of the head
to do so push along the edge with your thumbs
and kind of rotate the head in your hands while pressing down
you'll hear it kind of pop
once that's down and you've set the head on the drum
tension the lugs finger tight
and the tune up till you get
the sound you kind of want

don't fine tune yet

wait a day or two so that the head has time to stretch and set to the drum
if you fine tune right when you put the heads on
you're going to sit down the next time you're drumming
and your drums are going to sound horrible
so do yourself a favor and wait a couple days so your heads have time to adjust

that is it i hope this helps a little bit
:D
sarcasmsetyourhouseonfire
groove master
groove master

Post Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:11 pm

this link should be stickied...

mods?
shine.fm-youth
groove master
groove master

Post Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:18 pm

sarcasmsetyourhouseonfire wrote:this link should be stickied...

mods?

i thought so too,
but i didn't want to be like
hey hey sticky my post!
:roll:
rufus4dagruv
groove master
groove master

Post Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:35 pm

sarcasmsetyourhouseonfire wrote:this link should be stickied...

Agreed. It is very valuable, IMHO.

Perhaps change the title of the thread to The Drum Tuning Bible.
SGarrett

Post Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:35 pm

Just something to add.

You only need to "crack" Remo heads and not all new heads respond to fine tuning the same way. I play Aquarian heads. Slap 'em on, tune 'em up, and play. :)
"If the goal is for me to give up my reality for your reality, then the goal is for me to give up my self for your self--a goal I have to reject."
BIGSTIXMCCOY
beginner
beginner

Post Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:37 am

Putting on heads is infact a scince and skill of it own. One thing I stress to all drummers and/or students. If you do not know much about proper replacement of heads or tuning... Don't!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have seen many drums with mechinism issues, tension bars stripped, even warping of shells due to the lack of understanding. Someone posted about letting the head sit or seat on the sheel for a few days. I could not agree more. There are ways to assist the process. I have seen some place a drum in the sun to assist with this process I have also seen some apply presure on the head itself to strecth it out.

I prefer to tune it abit each day. T You will not retain pitch in one day. If you attempt you could possibly damage the head or use its worthiness before you even get a chance. Be patient. I am not the gooroo of drums by any means but certain have observed alot over the years and watching others bad mistakes.

Great topic.

I am new to the forum. I have been a corp member and lead drummer in several scottish pipebands. It is great to see the same questions floating around out there.

Best Regards!!!!

Eric D. McCoy
THERE ARE THOSE WHO SHOW UP TO PLAY AND THOSE WHO SHOW UP TO PLAY. WHICH ONE ARE YOU?

edm

www.myspace.com/bigstixmccoy
SGarrett

Post Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:14 am

You honestly recommend that your students don't learn how to tune? Gotta break a few eggs to make an omelet.

And I've had the Remo Rep. tell me in person that there's no need to wait for days as long as your properly seat and stretch the head when you put it on. I mean, how's a touring drummer going to wait three days for a new head to sound good when he's got a gig tonight or tomorrow? You just have to tune the head up higher than you want it, put both hands in the center one on top of the other, and apply enough pressure to hear a cracking sound. Tune it back up and repeat two more times. Your Remo head is now ready to rock.

edit:
Long after this post. I just realized that you're talking about field drums which use remarkable amounts of tension that even breaks drum keys.
Last edited by SGarrett on Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If the goal is for me to give up my reality for your reality, then the goal is for me to give up my self for your self--a goal I have to reject."
xdoseonex
groove master
groove master

Post Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:57 am

to seat your head just apply firm pressure in the middle of the head. Its as simple as that. I think you guys are all going a little loopy

here are some tuning vids

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/pH_RoUQyv5A&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/pH_RoUQyv5A&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZoncOuJEcng&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZoncOuJEcng&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
Proud to endorse TRICK Percussion
SGarrett

Post Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:04 pm

Great finds, Dose. We used to play that Weckl video in the shop on a regular basis.
J0k3r
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:15 am

After you tune and like the sound, it's a good idea to get a drum dial and record your numbers for exact, unchanging tuning.
"We're never gonna survive unless we get a little crazy" ~Seal~

Ludwig Accent
Vic Firth Stix
Zildjian Cymbals
Evans Heads
Gibralter Hardware
rockon2112yyz
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sat May 16, 2009 9:20 pm

drum dial works great at first, but as the heads wear out the same numbers won't get you the same sound. Also temp/humidity differences affect the numbers. There really needs to be a device that listens for your overtones and tells you exactly how, dare I say "sharp or flat" each lug is in relation to everything else. that would be cool