How to become a good drummer?

Post drum lessons here! Share your talents, give some tips, or get new tips and learn to play new stuff!

Moderator: Moderators

Brother_Bong
groove master
groove master

Post Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:19 am

porrsr wrote:hi im new at this also play with acouple of guys on fri nights but there was this other guy that was playing longer than me so i guess i got the boot but i do try almost any kind of song not just one typeself taught also never one lesson just comes naturally been playing about one year any advice is welcomed play to cds about twice a week if ican sometimes more usually an hour or two thanks

Punctuation makes thing easier to read. :wink:

Oh, and thanks Scott. I think that is one of the most important things for learning players to keep in mind. And by that I mean even if you have been playing for 40 years and you try something different, that still qualifies as LEARNING.
MEDICINE MAN AZ Endorsed, TRICK PEDALS, ZILDJIAN, SABIAN, SALUDA, SUPERNATURALS, ASAPH, WUHAN, SILVERFOX, BUD LIGHT

porrsr
new
new

Post Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:45 am

thank you .i will remember for next time
TheLoneGunman
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:12 am

MrMonkee wrote:Hi everyone! :)
I'm a new member in this forum, this is my first post :D . I have been playing drums only a half year :? . I play drums because I really love it :P and I learn it by myself :roll: .
I have a small question which I think any beginner may ask the teacher: "How to become a good drummer?". :?:
I hope I will receive your answers. They may be about your exprience.
I'm not good at English :( so I feel difficult in describing my thinking :cry: . But I promise I will try my best in the next posts. :wink:
Thank you for viewing my post and your replies! :P

www.mikeslessons.com

sign up for the live lessons tell'em thelonegunman sent you. You will get good fast.

I was thinking about what it takes for a player to become a real elite player. I was gonna make it it's own thread, but here's as good as spot for my list as any.

1. Play a lot -- You can't really get good at playing, without playing.
2. Get a teacher -- Find the best player you can find and learn from them. Know, that even if you have never had a lesson in your life, you are not self taught! Self taught would imply that you've sat down on a drumset, never heard anyone play ever, and figured it out on your own. If you learned how to play by listening to music, then you've been taught by that person. So take lessons. I suggest getting lessons in a traditional sense by finding a teacher and studying with them, but take lessons gained through listening to music, and going to drumming websites, and drumming message boards too. As a side note, I've played the drums for 12 years, I've been taking lessons from Mike Johnston for almost 4 months, one of my life's big regrets now, is not having taken lessons with a teacher before. If only I could go back knowing what I know now.
3. Rudiments -- These are the building blocks of drumming. Having a good grasp and ability to perform these will allow you to find away to speak in any musical situation. All drumming from the kit, to snare, congas, and bells, use some combinations of rudiments. And learn them with your feet too!
4. World Beats -- These are great! Many of the world grooves are very complex and difficult. Not only do they spark imagination by getting a drummer out of, le olde 2 4, as I like to say, but they teach 4-way independence, stick control and musical creativity. And they're usable. Books that teach independence through the use of exercises aren't usually usable in a musical sense. I don't think anyone has ever been asked by a band leader to play a groove using a beat found on page 14 of New Breed. But you could get asked to play a Bossa Nova, or a Samba, maybe a Songo or two.
5. Metronome -- Play with a metronome. Play with one slow. Learn to feel the space between the beat, which is imo, more important than the beat itself. Learn to take that pulse from the metronome and groove baby. The ability to take something robotic and unmovable like time, and make it swing and feel, is a skill that a drummer must develop to become great. Learn to play in front of and behind the pulse. Become a metronome in the sense that you keep time and never let up, but a metronome with a heart and a soul that can make people feel too!
6. Listen to lot's of music -- I know we all have our favorite types of music. But to be a great drummer you must master all types of music! When you've got bills to pay, you have to make that money by any means necessary and be prepared to play any style asked of you.

These are what I believe to be the steps to become an elite level drummer. Those that are great or good sacrifice parts or whole sections from this list. Those that are okay or poor probably never do any of them.

I'm curious as to all your thoughts on my list? I'm sure its not a 100% accurate or complete but I jotted down notes on a McDonalds wrapper on my way to the gig last night thinking about this stuff.

much luv,
TheLoneGunman
My Gear:

Shine Defenition Series Drum Set
Shine Mike Johnston Signature Snare
Saluda Cymbals

http://www.myspace.com/xthelonegunmanx == friend me and say hi

Drumming is Fun!
porrsr
new
new

Post Sun Aug 24, 2008 5:41 pm

thanks alot for your input.ill try all of the steps you mentioned.i didnt mean anything bad by saying "self taught".i meant exactly what yousaid.by listening to music and figuring out beats on my own.your advice is very good thank you.
blink44
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Aug 24, 2008 6:20 pm

most important is hard work, and dedication imo.
vincemie
session drummer
session drummer

Post Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:16 pm

SGarrett wrote:The way to be a good drummer is practice and listen to a lot of music. That's pretty much it.

amen
Kris
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:38 am

How to become a good drummer....education in subject matter, and practice your ass off.
Be Strong to Endure - Endure to be Strong !
www.krisardolino.com
http://www.myspace.com/krisardolino
Steaky
session drummer
session drummer

Post Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:25 am

Got to agree with Kris. It's how you get good at anything. A small dose of natural talent goes a long way too.
You can own the greatest drum ever made, but it won't change how well you can play it!
rlrrll
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Sep 07, 2008 11:05 pm

Search out all of my post and commit them to memory!!! :roll:
Tom Coyne

Drummer/Performer/Teacher/Author

Vic Firth Education Team Member

The Last Dance/Red Lily/The Prophetess/Frankenstein/Mercurine/45 Grave

myspace.com/tomcoynedrumteacher

thelastdance.com
SGarrett

Post Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:26 am

rlrrll wrote:Search out all of my post and commit them to memory!!! :roll:

Most definitely all of the ones in the Lessons Forum. You've posted some good ish in there. :)
"If the goal is for me to give up my reality for your reality, then the goal is for me to give up my self for your self--a goal I have to reject."
DrumsPlus
groove master
groove master

Post Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:46 am

SGarrett wrote:It's not how much you practice, it's how well you focus while practicing. :)

Kyle, that stretch is great and something I learned when I was brand new, too.

Monkee, don't worry about your English. I can't say anything in Vietnamese! :)

The way to be a good drummer is practice and listen to a lot of music. That's pretty much it.

+1, but I can speak a little Vietnamese. My mother is from Vietnam.
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:16 am

SGarrett wrote:
rlrrll wrote:Search out all of my post and commit them to memory!!! :roll:

Most definitely all of the ones in the Lessons Forum. You've posted some good ish in there. :)

Thanks! I was just being facetious before.

Actually, the question of how to become a good drummer can be applied to any discipline, and the answer is the same.
Make a study of your craft (take lessons or go to a college with a good music program), seek out the experts and follow their advice,(watch vids on youtube of all of our drumming heroes from the past 50 years) expose yourself to as much of the material available as possible (books, dvds, concerts), make good use of your study time (practice, practice, practice) and then mix everything together and apply what you've learned in practice (get in a band and play!)

Sounds easy, but it will take you the rest of your life to get it done!

tc
Tom Coyne

Drummer/Performer/Teacher/Author

Vic Firth Education Team Member

The Last Dance/Red Lily/The Prophetess/Frankenstein/Mercurine/45 Grave

myspace.com/tomcoynedrumteacher

thelastdance.com
blastbeats666
session drummer
session drummer

Post Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:52 pm

kylevater wrote:ok well of course there is practice practice practice
i would print out tabs and play those, they usually never accurate but you get some good beats of them
and i play the beginnings of some songs that i cant play the rest of lol
such as the color of money by bury your dead

exactly, ive been playin for 3 years now and i was just like you just playin cuz i loved it with no help from anyone else... what i find is best is just listen to drums.. if you have an ipod turn the EQ to bass so you can hear them better... and then listen to songs that you love and play them to the best of your ability. even though its a long song check out ...and justice for all by metallica. its a great song with a fun little drum beat in the intro and then a lot of the easy rock rythem on of bass hi hat, bass hi hat/snare pattern and thats used widespread though out drums... just keep rockin and youll get it dude