How to become a good drummer?

Post drum lessons here! Share your talents, give some tips, or get new tips and learn to play new stuff!

Moderator: Moderators

MrMonkee
new
new

Post Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:13 am

Hi everyone! :)
I'm a new member in this forum, this is my first post :D . I have been playing drums only a half year :? . I play drums because I really love it :P and I learn it by myself :roll: .
I have a small question which I think any beginner may ask the teacher: "How to become a good drummer?". :?:
I hope I will receive your answers. They may be about your exprience.
I'm not good at English :( so I feel difficult in describing my thinking :cry: . But I promise I will try my best in the next posts. :wink:
Thank you for viewing my post and your replies! :P
kylevater
groove master
groove master

Post Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:17 am

ok well of course there is practice practice practice
i would print out tabs and play those, they usually never accurate but you get some good beats of them
and i play the beginnings of some songs that i cant play the rest of lol
such as the color of money by bury your dead
It's challenging you: Image
johnisonfire
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Sep 19, 2007 5:49 pm

kylevater wrote:...i play the beginnings of some songs that i cant play the rest of lol

Good song. I usually play It's Far Better To Learn by Saosin. I also warm up by playing the first minute of that song haha. I also play certain Paramore song beginnings too.

Practicing is the best way, 20-30 minutes of solid practice per day is plenty, and a day off every now and then never hurt anything either. Online lessons on YouTube is excellent as well. Listening to the drums in music is great too, that's how I learned to play much of what I learn. The hardest thing for me was to kick the "unison dependence" of the bass foot with the corresponding hand, so I suggest learning to ride the hi-hats or the ride cymbal while playing.
kylevater
groove master
groove master

Post Wed Sep 19, 2007 6:05 pm

johnisonfire wrote:
kylevater wrote:...i play the beginnings of some songs that i cant play the rest of lol

Good song. I usually play It's Far Better To Learn by Saosin. I also warm up by playing the first minute of that song haha. I also play certain Paramore song beginnings too.

Practicing is the best way, 20-30 minutes of solid practice per day is plenty, and a day off every now and then never hurt anything either. Online lessons on YouTube is excellent as well. Listening to the drums in music is great too, that's how I learned to play much of what I learn. The hardest thing for me was to kick the "unison dependence" of the bass foot with the corresponding hand, so I suggest learning to ride the hi-hats or the ride cymbal while playing.

yes quite good advice right there
i also play the fisrt blast beat of waking the cadaver's bloodspattered satisfaction but thats no challenge
also
do the stretches in this video
mainly the one thats at 2:55 when he twists his arms around
works great
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Uz6-sOt14Ho"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Uz6-sOt14Ho" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>
It's challenging you: Image
metldrummer2112
groove master
groove master

Post Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:52 pm

Practicing is the best way, 20-30 minutes of solid practice per day is plenty, and a day off every now and then never hurt anything either.

wow that little? im overworking myself! I play like 2-3 hours minumum![/quote]
"Slaughter and Salvation, we bore two irreconcilable focuses."

"We dare speak the word, King Of Those Who Know."
SGarrett

Post Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:06 pm

It's not how much you practice, it's how well you focus while practicing. :)

Kyle, that stretch is great and something I learned when I was brand new, too.

Monkee, don't worry about your English. I can't say anything in Vietnamese! :)

The way to be a good drummer is practice and listen to a lot of music. That's pretty much it.
"If the goal is for me to give up my reality for your reality, then the goal is for me to give up my self for your self--a goal I have to reject."
metldrummer2112
groove master
groove master

Post Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:11 pm

SGarrett wrote:It's not how much you practice, it's how well you focus while practicing. :)

Kyle, that stretch is great and something I learned when I was brand new, too.

Monkee, don't worry about your English. I can't say anything in Vietnamese! :)

The way to be a good drummer is practice and listen to a lot of music. That's pretty much it.

well im guessing I focus enough because after one year of self teaching I'm playing in a metal band and everybody says I'm the best drummer they know and that in a couple of years I'll be better than Nicholas Barker. so my guess is I focus
"Slaughter and Salvation, we bore two irreconcilable focuses."

"We dare speak the word, King Of Those Who Know."
Rob Crisp
groove master
groove master

Post Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:03 am

Hey Monkee, as Scott said don't worry about your English (there are some English speaking people who write worse than you) :lol:

Practice with focus and practice what you CAN NOT already play. That is the best way to improve.

Look up some good techniques such as Moeller and Free Strokes on YouTube (Dom Famularo is good for that) and as Scott said, listen to lots of music and styles.

If you need anymore adivce just shout, someone will answer! :)
Eliminator
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sat Aug 23, 2008 5:17 am

Definetly listen to alot of music and focus on the drums in that music, when I first started playing I had real trouble picking out which parts of the kit were being used, but you get so much better at it over time, almost becomes natural
mead50
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sat Aug 23, 2008 6:07 am

MrMonkee wrote:Hi everyone! :)
I'm a new member in this forum, this is my first post :D . I have been playing drums only a half year :? . I play drums because I really love it :P and I learn it by myself :roll: .
I have a small question which I think any beginner may ask the teacher: "How to become a good drummer?". :?:
I hope I will receive your answers. They may be about your exprience.
I'm not good at English :( so I feel difficult in describing my thinking :cry: . But I promise I will try my best in the next posts. :wink:
Thank you for viewing my post and your replies! :P

Have Fun!!! :D
Tama Superstar Custom Accel Driver
Zildjian Cymbals
Tama Hardware
Remo Heads
Brother_Bong
groove master
groove master

Post Sat Aug 23, 2008 6:21 am

Yep, practice and listening are key.

The other piece of advise I offer is don't get discouraged. You have to suck before you get good. Everyone has to.
MEDICINE MAN AZ Endorsed, TRICK PEDALS, ZILDJIAN, SABIAN, SALUDA, SUPERNATURALS, ASAPH, WUHAN, SILVERFOX, BUD LIGHT

Asdex
session drummer
session drummer

Post Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:08 am

YAY!! ANOTHER ASIAN!! AT LEAST I'M NOT ALONE!!! HAHAH... lol.. Anyways, practice is the best thing to be done... Listen to many music and try it out on drums.. Do lots of rudiment since it kinda build your creativity...
Tama Superstar SX52
Tama Warlord Masai Snare
Tama Iron Cobra Double Pedal
Zildjian A custom, A Zildjian, K Hybrid, FX, ZXT and ZBT cymbals
Remo and Evans heads
SGarrett

Post Sat Aug 23, 2008 12:18 pm

Brother_Bong wrote:Yep, practice and listening are key.

The other piece of advise I offer is don't get discouraged. You have to suck before you get good. Everyone has to.

Oh dude, truer words have never been said about drumming. :lol:

I sucked for quite awhile when I made the transition from metal to the kind of stuff I'm playing now and that was after already playing for 14-15 years.
"If the goal is for me to give up my reality for your reality, then the goal is for me to give up my self for your self--a goal I have to reject."
porrsr
new
new

Post Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:59 am

hi im new at this also. play with acouple of guys on fri nights .but there was this other guy that was playing longer than me ,so i guess i got the boot .but i do try almost any kind of song not just one type.self taught .also never one lesson just comes naturally. been playing about one year .any advice is welcomed .play to cds about twice a week, if ican sometimes more. usually an hour or two, thanks
Last edited by porrsr on Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Howepirate

Post Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:12 am

youtube.com

drummerworld.com