new female student help...

Post drum lessons here! Share your talents, give some tips, or get new tips and learn to play new stuff!

Moderator: Moderators

AndeAir
beginner
beginner

Post Wed Oct 11, 2006 6:56 pm

I've been teaching for a while now and I'm accepting my first female student. I like to teach kids about other drumers to help inspire them and show them what can be done when you practice hard. So I need a few recommendations on great female drummers. I've known of a couple but no one particularly exceptional. Please help direct me so I can guide this young girl in finding a great musical role model.
AndeAir
Always searching for a deeper pocket to play.
Qbs
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:32 am

http://drummerworld.com/drummerchoice.html
look under "The Ladies..." :)
Rhytm is a way to transmit a description of experience
in an emotional and not abstract way.
It is more than a metaphor:
It is a physical experience as real as any other.
Xfactor
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:30 pm

Try these names. Jennie ashbaugh, Amanda Lance, Naomi Langyworthy
and of course sheila E.
Dale
session drummer
session drummer

Post Sun Oct 15, 2006 1:07 pm

Terri Lynne Carrington. She's a monster player. Check out her work with Wayne Shorter especially.

http://www.terrilynecarrington.com/
I don't know what I'm talking about!

"Don't play FOR people. Play WITH people."
- Papa Jo Jones
phillyrhythm
new
new

Post Mon Oct 16, 2006 5:41 am

Have you heard of Cindy Blackman, she's awsome and a really good role model for any player
1,2,3 make it funky!
Mr. Pants
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:43 pm

phillyrhythm wrote:Have you heard of Cindy Blackman, she's awsome and a really good role model for any player

2 votes for Cindy!

Terri Lynn Carrington, as well!
http://www.myspace.com/casanatrampls

20" Hi-Hats are nothing to be ashamed of...
rlrrll
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:42 am

Meg White of the White Stripes can help you on two levels. First, she shows that girls can play in a popular band, and secondly the songs are very easy for a beginning drummer to learn. I usualy have all of my new students playing songs from the "White Blood Cells" album by the end of their first lesson. Playing songs quickly makes a new student think "Hey, maybe I can do this".

tc
l_e_i_g_h
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:25 pm

I agree...Mrs Ashbaugh is a good way to start. You can recommend te DVD "Taking Care of Business". Billy and Jennie are in it. :D

Xfactor wrote:Try these names. Jennie ashbaugh, Amanda Lance, Naomi Langyworthy
and of course sheila E.
It's "Lei" not "Lee"
Gaddabout
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:21 am

Hillary Jones is another solid female drummer.
drumschick07
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:55 am

Being a female, I don't think you neccessarily have to give her a good Female role model. I don't really think it really matters as long as the drummer is good. She's not going to look at whether or not the drummer is a girl or boy, she's going to focus more on how good play and their technique. So just give her one of the greats like buddy rich, mike portnoy, or simon phillips.
FrKn LoUd
l_e_i_g_h
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:37 pm

Well Said! 8)

drumschick07 wrote:Being a female, I don't think you neccessarily have to give her a good Female role model. I don't really think it really matters as long as the drummer is good. She's not going to look at whether or not the drummer is a girl or boy, she's going to focus more on how good play and their technique. So just give her one of the greats like buddy rich, mike portnoy, or simon phillips.
It's "Lei" not "Lee"
trstn
session drummer
session drummer

Post Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:43 am

Evelyn Glennie ladies and gentlemen.

go watch "touch the sound" its mandatory for everyone hitting stuff rhythmically.
Trick drums (and I love them!)
DW hardware/pedals
Istanbul and Paiste cymbals
Remo heads
Vic Firth 2B b(r)oomsticks
Naomi McFadyen
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:33 am

drumschick07 wrote:Being a female, I don't think you neccessarily have to give her a good Female role model. I don't really think it really matters as long as the drummer is good. She's not going to look at whether or not the drummer is a girl or boy, she's going to focus more on how good play and their technique. So just give her one of the greats like buddy rich, mike portnoy, or simon phillips.

I agree totally... although I have Evelyn Glennie and Simone Rebello as my kinda role models for percussion, I am always more inspired by the guys for drums and always will be.... it doesn't matter what sex you are, you can be inspired by ANY drummer.
guilty_verdict
beginner
beginner

Post Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:36 pm

I agree. Don't treat your female students any differently to your male ones. Your female student will be looking to get the same thing out of the lessons as the male ones.
I'm not interested in other 'female drummers'... i'm just interested in drums and how others drum... if that 'other' happens to be female then so be it.
There's no difference between a female and a male drummer... we're just built a little differently.
quickstickz
new
new

Post Sat Sep 08, 2007 2:17 am

ande air, its good that you're taking a female student. i think dont treat her any differently to your boys. be straight with her and be patient if anything girls are better learners than boys i got 3 female students
and they are good