How do I practice to get my left hand on pace with my right?

Post drum lessons here! Share your talents, give some tips, or get new tips and learn to play new stuff!

Moderator: Moderators

casketborn1
beginner
beginner

Post Sat Feb 17, 2007 11:06 pm

I was self tought so I never really knew how to practice correctly . I cant seem to figure out a proper routine. Iv been told to just play some basics with the less dominant side of my body, but there has to be a better routine. Please help with any suggestions. :?
Pearl Export 7pc
Sabian Cymbols
Paiste & Wuhan Chinas
Vic Firth Sticks
DW pedals and Acc.
Auquarian Heads
And one good sense of rhythm!
DesiPIMPnLuvinIt
beginner
beginner

Post Sun Feb 18, 2007 11:20 am

yea...play everything u do wit ur right hand wit ur left lead....as u play...u notice how every rhythm..ur right starts....make everything start with the left hand...change ur set so that ur left hand plays the hat and ride and everything...if you're at school...play on ur lap...just make the left lead everything...thats wat i do...instead of goin rlrlrlrlr....go lrlrlrlr....same wit paradiddles...lrll...rlrr...lrllrr...c wat i mean??...also...when you're not playing...use ur left hand to eat...write...EVERYTHING...next thing you...u'll have 2 dominent hands
Mapex
Zildjian
Paiste
Vicfirth
Flatliner
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:00 am

if yeah can read music, get a book called stick control and work it the way the book suggests and you will see a big improvement.
M.U.S.I.C.- Make up something interesting and complementary- Neil Peart

Without music, Life would be an error- Friedrich Nietzsche
Piddywiffle
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Feb 21, 2007 7:29 am

Flatliner wrote:if yeah can read music, get a book called stick control and work it the way the book suggests and you will see a big improvement.

yea do that. Have a look at excercises and like dude said before, try leading with your left hand or using your left hand on the high hats.
Falling down the stairs at the age of five was my first drum solo.

"They arn't dirty pants dude... That film is a protective barrier from all other bacterium" Quote from my roommate approx 1 month ago.
drummert2k

Post Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:30 pm

Flatliner wrote:if yeah can read music, get a book called stick control and work it the way the book suggests and you will see a big improvement.

and if you cant read music, learn and then buy the book
madchops
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Feb 22, 2007 3:27 am

practice on a pillow and fer goddsakes...hold the stick right
I think that any young drummer starting out today should get himself a great teacher and learn all there is to know about the instrument that he wants to play.

Buddy Rich