Practicing with metronome

Post drum lessons here! Share your talents, give some tips, or get new tips and learn to play new stuff!

Moderator: Moderators

freefaller
new
new

Post Sat Dec 26, 2009 8:01 am

I don't understand this.

If i want to play 4/4 how many beats per minute should i be setting for my metronome?

How do i know how fast i should be playing??

Thanks
possumofdestruction
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sat Dec 26, 2009 8:17 am

There is no set bpm for a time signature. Beats per minute is just a measurement of speed. For instance, 45 beats per minute means there are 45 quarter notes per minute. You can play 4/4 at any bpm from 1 to 100 and beyond. 4/4 is a time signature, the first number shows how many beats there are in the measure and the second number shows what notation they are. For instance 6/8: 6 means there are 6 beats in the measure and 8 means they are eighth notes. See?
bash, bang, slam, whatever, yeah, ima drummer.
freefaller
new
new

Post Sat Dec 26, 2009 8:19 am

possumofdestruction wrote:There is no set bpm for a time signature. Beats per minute is just a measurement of speed. For instance, 45 beats per minute means there are 45 quarter notes per minute. You can play 4/4 at any bpm from 1 to 100 and beyond. 4/4 is a time signature, the first number shows how many beats there are in the measure and the second number shows what notation they are. For instance 6/8: 6 means there are 6 beats in the measure and 8 means they are eighth notes. See?

Hey...

thanks for the quick reply..

what if i have sheet music that i have to play along with a song does that i mean i have to count myself how fast i should be going?
possumofdestruction
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sat Dec 26, 2009 1:17 pm

If you're playing with sheet music for a song it should give you a bpm on the paper. What is the sheet music?
freefaller
new
new

Post Sat Dec 26, 2009 9:03 pm

possumofdestruction wrote:If you're playing with sheet music for a song it should give you a bpm on the paper. What is the sheet music?

what if it doesnt say? Do I have to listen to the song to find out the bpm?
possumofdestruction
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Dec 27, 2009 9:30 am

Unless you're playing along to the song, like with an ipod, you should practice it slowly and build your way up. Don't worry about playing the exact bpm of the song, just play close to it. If you want to be exact, just play along to the song without a metronome.
iatemygoat
groove master
groove master

Post Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:50 am

if its for a class or something your teacher should be able to tell you what bpm to play at if it doesnt say. im kinda surprised it doesnt say though. unless it has a word at the top (i know nothing about music theory) sometimes those words give a general idea of the speed. i couldnt tell you what the words are though haha. theres a few of them that would let you know to play slowly, medium speed, or fast which is a just a general explanation of how the song should feel.

sorry if i confused you. i should do my research haha