Metronome Help

Post drum lessons here! Share your talents, give some tips, or get new tips and learn to play new stuff!

Moderator: Moderators

Troy
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:07 am

Um, I know this sounds really noobish, but ive been trying to play with a Metronome lately cause everyone sais it helps alot, but I don't really know how to incorporate it with my playing... Was wondering if you guys could help me with this at all.

Thank you
" You wanna get high? "
blastbeats666
session drummer
session drummer

Post Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:31 pm

theres no such thing as a nooby question. trust me :)

metronomes are great for practiceing rudiments and rythm. what i usually do is practice the five main rudiments everyday at around 175 bpm. i start of with single strokes for about 20 measures of 4/4, then doubles for 20, paradiddle for 20, flams for 20, ruffs for 20 and then so on so on.

also what i like to do with the metronome is follow the beat as precisly as possible. what im starting notice is that even when i think im in time im off by a split second, and its really hard to perfect that timing. so again ill watch and listen to the metronome and play a simple double bass beat. b/h-b-b-b/h/s- b/h-b-b-b/h/s- b/h-b-b-b/h/s, so on so on. ill practice that beat while trying to stay in rythm as best i can to hopefully inprove my timeing. this can be done with any type of beat, rock, jazz, latin, metal.

so practice practice practice those rudiments and beats. just remember anybody could play a spazztic drum beat, it takes a good drummer to make that beat in time

good luck dude :D
screw you mike
Alan_
groove master
groove master

Post Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:25 pm

1 click = 1 count.
blastbeats666
session drummer
session drummer

Post Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:13 pm

and then it all depends on what time signature your playing in.
screw you mike